On 2017-02-02 Thu 19:57, Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > Hello, > > Titus von der Malsburg writes: > >> One issue with org-list-allow-alphabetical is that we get numbers >> instead of letters when we export to HTML and LaTeX. I saw the earlier >> thread [0] that gives the reasoning for this but I find it >> unsatisfying. If Org allows us to distinguish between -, +, 1., 1), a., >> A., a), A), this should also be honored by the exporter. > > This is also why I dislike the feature. > >> Otherwise it’s rather pointless to allow that distinction in the first >> place. > > Exactly. > >> IMHO, a clean solution would be to either drop everything but - and >> 1. or to keep all these and make the exporters honor them. The former >> would breaks existing documents and is therefore out of the >> question. This leaves us with the second solution. > > I wouldn't rule that out. Breaking changes happen. We can provide tools > to fix existing documents. > > Actually, I like the idea of keeping only "-" and "1.". We could > implement other bullet types as overlays. > >> Any chance you are willing to reconsider the decision to ignore >> allow-alphabetical during export? > > I still agree with Carsten in the thread you pointed out. Org document > is about structure. The bullet in about typesetting. Correct me if I’m wrong but there are a lot of things in Org that are just about typesetting: *bold*, /italic/, _underlined_, =verbatim= and ~code~, +strike-through+. Would you remove these things as well? Titus >> I think it would be very useful to have that. I know there are other >> ways to get alphabetical bullets in exported documents but they are >> all specific to certain export targets and the beauty of Org mode is >> precisely that we can export to many different targets. > > The beauty of Org is also to allow to control different export targets > in the same document. > > I think this is a non-issue. > > Regards, > > -- > Nicolas Goaziou 0x80A93738 -- Dr. Titus von der Malsburg Visiting Professor for Computational Psycholinguistics Department of Linguistics University of Potsdam, Germany https://tmalsburg.github.io PGP fingerprint: C34C 7364 EAAD 4752 FABA 35E6 AE34 59F3 C613 689D GNU Ring ID: ring:a1494601ee7d214bdfd8105dca065aee6d653556