* Contact data and sync revisited
@ 2020-05-31 12:30 Russell Adams
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Russell Adams @ 2020-05-31 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been trying to find the best way to manage my contacts. I've dabbled with
org-contact and using an Org file with property drawers, I've dabbled with
BBDB. I've looked at standalone programs.

My key problem is I need a way to access my contacts in Emacs and Mutt, and send
them to my Android phone. Single direction sync is fine.

Using a Nextcloud host, org-caldav, and DAVx5 I have already successfully pushed my
calendar events to my Android phone. This makes it even more important for me to
solve this issue finally.

I've considered the merit of a few options:

 - Use Org-contacts
   - Pro: It's in org! So easy, lets me keep notes and appointment data easily.
   - Cons: Doesn't export at all.

 - BBDB
   - Pro: It's in Emacs natively, with Org integration.
   - Pro: Larger users base than Org-contacts, more software
   - Cons: Exports but requires additional tools to sync

Unfortunately looking at the options keeps coming back to how poor general
support for CardDAV and vcard files is. In particular, the popular vdirsyncer
tool is now looking for a new maintainer, and I had the impression from his list
of grievances he might drop it entirely.

What could be a decent valid solution to this issue?