* Problems while trying to load feature
       [not found] <mailman.43.1613926885.11967.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2021-03-14 15:38 ` Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2021-03-14 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

This is my first message to this list. I am an orgmode dependant user,
but not an advanced user, nor a programmer. My emacs is quite
customized, though.

I have been cleaning up my init.el file a little this Sunday, and
solving some problems shown in "Messages" buffer after launching emacs.

But there is an issue I don't know how to solve. I have search in the
list and reddit but I can't solve it. It is this message:

    Problems while trying to load feature ‘ol-org-bbdb’
    Problems while trying to load feature ‘ol-org-bibtex’
    Problems while trying to load feature ‘ol-org-docview’
    Problems while trying to load feature ‘ol-org-gnus’
    Problems while trying to load feature ‘ol-org-info’
    Problems while trying to load feature ‘ol-org-irc’
    Problems while trying to load feature ‘ol-org-mhe’
    Problems while trying to load feature ‘ol-org-rmail’
    Problems while trying to load feature ‘ol-org-w3m’

It says "ol-..." because I tried to solve it after reading the mail
list. It is said that it happens because in version 27.1 files changed
their name from "org-bbdb" to "ol-org-bbdb", but as you can see, the
problems keep popping up. I'd say those files don't even exist on my
computer.

    /GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, i686-w64-mingw32)//of 2020-08-21/

    /org:  Version: 20210308/

    Best regards

* Re: Problems while trying to load feature
@ 2021-03-14 17:05   ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2021-03-14 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ypo,

Ypo <ypuntot@gmail.com> writes:

>     Problems while trying to load feature ‘ol-org-w3m’ [etc.]
>
> It says "ol-..." because I tried to solve it after reading the mail
> list. It is said that it happens because in version 27.1 files changed
> their name from "org-bbdb" to "ol-org-bbdb", but as you can see, the
> problems keep popping up. I'd say those files don't even exist on my
> computer.
>
>     /GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, i686-w64-mingw32)//of 2020-08-21/
>
>     /org:  Version: 20210308/

I think we need some more information to help you:

1) How did you install Org? (Git? MELPA?) It looks like you are using a
very recent version, more recent than what ships with Emacs or is
available on ELPA.

2) It's not clear to me whether you have verified that you have the
files. Have you checked that these files exist and are somewhere on your
Emacs load-path?

3) Do you still see this problem if you run emacs -q?
What happens if you then execute

(require 'org)

via M-: or via C-x C-e in *scratch*?

--
Best,
Richard

* Re: Problems while trying to load feature
@ 2021-03-15  7:57     ` Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2021-03-15  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Good morning, Richard and list

1) I updated org from MELPA. Previous versions had same problem.

2) I can't find the files in my entire computer.

3) With emacs -q there are not error messages. I send M-: or write
(require 'org) and press C-x C-e in the scratch and I see nothing
special, just:

org [2 times]
elisp--preceding-sexp: End of file during parsing
Mark set

Best regards,
Ypo

@ 2021-03-15 15:15   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2021-03-15 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The renaming was e.g org-bbdb to ol-bbdb, *NOT* to ol-org-bbdb.

Similarly for all the rest: you won't find any of them in any installation.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Problems while trying to load feature
@ 2021-03-15 15:24     ` Charles R (Charlie) Martin
From: Charles R (Charlie) Martin @ 2021-03-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is a problem I’ve noticed as well. Now, I am a programmer — my code or
it’s descendants is still in the distribution — I do update org mode
regularly, and I get messages when I start up Emacs about Org mode files
that can’t be loaded. I wouldn’t be surprised if the cause is this
renaming. But honestly I stopped having time to hack emacs 30 years ago.
Wouldn’t it be desirable if changes that aren’t backward-compatible
included some kind of assistance for users?

@ 2021-03-16 16:36       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2021-03-16 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Charles R (Charlie) Martin" <chasrmartin@gmail.com> writes:

> This is a problem I’ve noticed as well. Now, I am a programmer — my
> code or it’s descendants is still in the distribution — I do update
> org mode regularly, and I get messages when I start up Emacs about
> Org mode files that can’t be loaded. I wouldn’t be surprised if the
> cause is this renaming. But honestly I stopped having time to hack
> emacs 30 years ago. Wouldn’t it be desirable if changes that aren’t
> backward-compatible included some kind of assistance for users?

You probably don't want to hear this, but you will have to figure out
what those messages are telling you and fix the problems. At best,
they might be innocuous: your init file might be trying to load things
that don't exist any more. At worst, you may be running a mixed
installation: you might be loading things from various versions of Org
mode that might coexist on your system(s) (depending on how exactly
you install Org mode: if you use the version that is bundled with
emacs *only* you should not have any problems; but if you install a
more recent one from ELPA or from git, you should be careful). If you
encounter problems after the initial load, you might have a mixed
installation. See https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mixed-install for more
details on how to check. Mixed installations are an unending source of
problems and need to be taken care of.

I install new versions of emacs and Org mode fairly frequently (every
couple of months) at which point I restart emacs to see whether any
such problems crop up. If there are, I fix them right then and there,
until I can get a clean restart. If it's not obvious, I take a look
through the etc/ORG-NEWS file, which you should have locally, but in a
pinch you can look for it online:

    https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/src/master/etc/ORG-NEWS

In particular, this is the best place for assistance with backward
incompatibilities that you mentioned above. Assuming you know which
release you came from and which release you are going to, look through
the sections describing them and all intermediate releases, to see
what backward incompatibilites were introduced and what suggested
solutions there are. As a last resort, you can always ask here. In
general, I find that fixing these problems asap is better for my
sanity.

Cleaning up your init file to get rid of the (now) useless loads is
also a good idea (even though they are innocuous): init files tend to
accumulate junk (mine has been doing that for 30 years), so getting
rid of old cruft is, for me, another essential activity to maintain a
semblance of sanity.

My $0.02, YMMV, etc.