From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
To: Philipp Kiefer <phil.kiefer@gmail.com>
Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [Bug] 'org-font-lock-extra-keywords' appear next to the parent heading when its subtree is folded.
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 17:56:03 +0000	[thread overview]

Philipp Kiefer <phil.kiefer@gmail.com> writes:

>> You set 'invisible text property to nil, which tells Emacs - make the
>> text visible. Emacs obeys.
>
> Well, with Orgmode version 9.5, Emacs was never *this* obedient, i. e.
> this problem only began after I updated Orgmode to 9.6, which is why I
> considered it a bug in the first place. I am aware I have set the
> keywords to be visible but would not expect them to appear at the end of
> the parent heading for a folded subtree! (see the screenshots and the
> explanatory .org file). Showing them there does not make any sense in my
> opinion. I would expect Orgmode to hide these keywords when they are in
> a collapsed subtree, regardless of the 'invisible text' setting, which
> is how it was handled pre 9.6 unless I'm much mistaken.

Org may or may not do it, depending on the implementation details.
What you are seeing is because we changed the way Org is folding text to
use text properties instead of overlays (see
https://orgmode.org/Changes.html).

You may get the old behavior back by (1) Setting
`org-fold-core--optimise-for-huge-buffers' to '(grab-invisible); (2)
Setting `org-fold-core-style' to 'overlays before loading Org.

I do not consider what you report as a bug. There were ways to break Org
folding in the past (for example, by using overlays with high priority).
Actually, I am not sure why you even need to set 'invisible to nil in
your font-lock-keywords.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,