From: Bastien <bzg@altern.org>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Html export suggestion (use of <div>)
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:40:07 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> I now see why it can be useful to preserve the outline
> structure in the HTML export, and if Bastien remains the
> only voice against it, I will put these <div>s in.

I didn't pronounced myself "against" it at all.  I really like the idea
of having <div>s in Org :)

I only raised concerns about the fact that having <div>s will perhaps
lead to a full templating system for the HTML output, and should be
thought carefully (what structure? what classes? what ids?)

Just for the record, here are the relevant parts of the (private) email
I sent on this topic:

,----
| i don't want to jump into the « Dive-in-<div>-or-die » discussion, but
| just to give you my very first impression on this: having <div> is nice
| but you will surely end up trying to implement "templates" for the HTML
| exporter.
|
| The choice for good class/id defaults might also be tricky: should a
| attribute like id="section1"?  Org will of course chose the class=""
| option, for the sake of both simplicity and genericity.  But I can bet
| you will soon be under pressure for more and more options...
`----

Again: I'm not against <div>s, I'm just curious on how it could develop!

--
Bastien