* HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-07 18:56 Vinh Nguyen
From: Vinh Nguyen @ 2011-06-07 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

After the recent org-mode to S5 discussion, I stumbled onto
[these](https://gist.github.com/509761) code.  It offers a way to
export org files to HTML5 presentations.  I think it looks quite nice.
 I see it being better than S5 in that no "ui" folder is required.
What do you all think?  Is it worthy of being incorporated into
org-mode?

-- Vinh

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-07 20:01 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-06-07 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Vinh Nguyen <vinhdizzo@gmail.com> writes:

> After the recent org-mode to S5 discussion, I stumbled onto
> [these](https://gist.github.com/509761) code.  It offers a way to
> export org files to HTML5 presentations.  I think it looks quite nice.
>  I see it being better than S5 in that no "ui" folder is required.
> What do you all think?  Is it worthy of being incorporated into
> org-mode?

Just tried it, and it's pretty cool!  Easy to use and nicely looking.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-07 20:35   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-06-07 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Vinh Nguyen <vinhdizzo@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> After the recent org-mode to S5 discussion, I stumbled onto
>> [these](https://gist.github.com/509761) code.  It offers a way to
>> export org files to HTML5 presentations.  I think it looks quite nice.
>>  I see it being better than S5 in that no "ui" folder is required.
>> What do you all think?  Is it worthy of being incorporated into
>> org-mode?
>
> Just tried it, and it's pretty cool!  Easy to use and nicely looking.

This is very cool, I just added the link to the non-beamer presentation
engine page on Worg.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/non-beamer-presentations.html

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-07 22:05 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-06-07 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinh Nguyen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Cool! I tested it on a much-too-long slideshow, and noticed one
problem, though: each new slide appeared a little further to the left.

Yours,
Christian

On 6/7/11 8:56 PM, Vinh Nguyen wrote:
> After the recent org-mode to S5 discussion, I stumbled onto
> [these](https://gist.github.com/509761) code.  It offers a way to
> export org files to HTML5 presentations.  I think it looks quite nice.
>   I see it being better than S5 in that no "ui" folder is required.
> What do you all think?  Is it worthy of being incorporated into
> org-mode?
>
> -- Vinh

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-08  7:21     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-06-08  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I just added the link to the non-beamer presentation engine page on
> Worg.
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/non-beamer-presentations.html

The prefix "non-beamer" defines presentation by exclusion.[1] This could be
confusing. For example, OpenDocument Presentations are non-beamer so are
HTML presentations.

So calling it HTML presentation would be a good idea. Better still we
could have a landing page for presentations which in turn point to
beamer, HTML and OpenDocument presentations.

Just nitpicking,
Jambunathan K.

Footnotes:
[1] Furthermore Non-latex users wouldn't be able to relate to
beamer or latex even.

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-08  7:24   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-06-08  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> Cool! I tested it on a much-too-long slideshow, and noticed one
> problem, though: each new slide appeared a little further to the left.

It also works fine with complex LaTeX math. :-)

The only thing that it doesn't do now and stops me from using it
directly is the missing support for image scaling.  I tried using

    #+ATTR_HTML: title="Beer!" width="90%"
    [[file:~/Desktop/Pictures/beer-bunny.jpg]]

but the image is shown in original size which is much larger than the
slide.

Oh, and numbered lists show up as plain item lists.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-08 11:27     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-06-08 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:
>
> > Cool! I tested it on a much-too-long slideshow, and noticed one
> > problem, though: each new slide appeared a little further to the left.
>
> It also works fine with complex LaTeX math. :-)
>
> The only thing that it doesn't do now and stops me from using it
> directly is the missing support for image scaling.  I tried using
>
>    #+ATTR_HTML: title="Beer!" width="90%"
>    [[file:~/Desktop/Pictures/beer-bunny.jpg]]
>
> but the image is shown in original size which is much larger than the
> slide.

Works for me - although my image is actually smaller, but I can change it's
size.

I really like it. Is there an example presentation, which shows all the
possibilities when creating a presentation in org?

Rainer

> Oh, and numbered lists show up as plain item lists.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-08 13:01       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-06-08 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Rainer,

>> The only thing that it doesn't do now and stops me from using it
>> directly is the missing support for image scaling.  I tried using
>>
>>    #+ATTR_HTML: title="Beer!" width="90%"
>>    [[file:~/Desktop/Pictures/beer-bunny.jpg]]
>>
>> but the image is shown in original size which is much larger than the
>> slide.
>>

> Works for me - although my image is actually smaller, but I can change
> it's size.

And you are really sure that you are using

  M-x org-export-as-html5presentation RET

?

If so, you must be using a different version.  There's at least the
gist.github version (I use), but there are at least two forks at github,
too...

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-08 13:13         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-06-08 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Rainer,
>
> >> The only thing that it doesn't do now and stops me from using it
> >> directly is the missing support for image scaling.  I tried using
> >>
> >>    #+ATTR_HTML: title="Beer!" width="90%"
> >>    [[file:~/Desktop/Pictures/beer-bunny.jpg]]
> >>
> >> but the image is shown in original size which is much larger than the
> >> slide.
> >>

> > Works for me - although my image is actually smaller, but I can change
> > it's size.
>
> And you are really sure that you are using
>
>  M-x org-export-as-html5presentation RET

Well -

M-x org-export-as-html5presentation-and-open RET

and then

M-x org-export-as-html5presentation RET

and update in the browser.

> ?
>
> If so, you must be using a different version.  There's at least the
> gist.github version (I use), but there are at least two forks at github,
> too...

I am using the one from:

https://gist.github.com/509761

Org-mode version 7.5
also tried with
Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.358.g5194)

GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.0)

and here is the org file I am using:

#+TITLE: First
#+AUTHOR: Author's name

* Heading

- item
- sub item
* Table

   | col | col |
   |-----+-----|
   | col | col |
* Image
#+ATTR_HTML: title="Beer!" width="2%"
[[./51245383.jpeg]]

Cheers,

Rainer

> Bye,
> Tassilo

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-08 13:45           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-06-08 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Takumi KINJO

>> > Works for me - although my image is actually smaller, but I can change
>> > it's size.
>
> I am using the one from:
>
> https://gist.github.com/509761

Ditto.

> Org-mode version 7.5
> also tried with
> Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.358.g5194)

I also use the latter.

> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.0)

Ok, I use the bzr trunk from yesterday.  So that's a difference.

I've just edebugged `org-export-html5presentation-format-image' and in
the let...

 (let* ((caption (org-find-text-property-in-string 'org-caption src))
        (attr (org-find-text-property-in-string 'org-attributes src)) ; HERE!
        (label (org-find-text-property-in-string 'org-label src)))

... I guess there should be something set.  But the call returns nil.
The same applies to

  #+CAPTION: This is the caption
  #+LABEL: img1
  #+ATTR_HTML: title="Beer" width="50%"
  [[file:~/Desktop/Pictures/beer-bunny.jpg]]

where neither caption, label, nor attr are set.  When I set point on the
link in the org-file and do

  M-x describe-text-properties RET

I get

,----
| Text content at position 690:
|
| There is an overlay here:
|  From 686 to 731
|   face                 hl-line
|   window               nil
|
| There are text properties here:
|   face                 org-link
|   font-lock-multiline  t
|   fontified            t
|   help-echo            "LINK: file:~/Desktop/Pictures/beer-bunny.jpg"
|   keymap               [Show]
|   mouse-face           highlight
|   org-no-flyspell      t
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-15 18:19     ` Eric S Fraga
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-06-15 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> Vinh Nguyen <vinhdizzo@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> After the recent org-mode to S5 discussion, I stumbled onto
>>> [these](https://gist.github.com/509761) code.  It offers a way to
>>> export org files to HTML5 presentations.  I think it looks quite nice.
>>>  I see it being better than S5 in that no "ui" folder is required.
>>> What do you all think?  Is it worthy of being incorporated into
>>> org-mode?
>>
>> Just tried it, and it's pretty cool!  Easy to use and nicely looking.
>>

> This is very cool, I just added the link to the non-beamer presentation
> engine page on Worg.
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/non-beamer-presentations.html
>
> Best -- Eric

What browser(s) are people using for this?  Conkeror doesn't work well
at all and iceweasel (aka firefox) 3.5.19 sort of works.

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.391.gfaccb.dirty)

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-15 19:35       ` Eric Schulte
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-06-15 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:

>>> Just tried it, and it's pretty cool!  Easy to use and nicely looking.
>>>

>> This is very cool, I just added the link to the non-beamer presentation
>> engine page on Worg.
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/non-beamer-presentations.html
>>
>> Best -- Eric
>
> What browser(s) are people using for this?  Conkeror doesn't work well
> at all and iceweasel (aka firefox) 3.5.19 sort of works.

I've been using Firefox 4 and everything works well for me, although
I've done more testing of s5 presentations than of html5 presentations.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-15 20:57       ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2011-06-15 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 07:19:46PM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> What browser(s) are people using for this?  Conkeror doesn't work well
> at all and iceweasel (aka firefox) 3.5.19 sort of works.

since it's an html5 presentation, you'll need a browser with html5 support.
i don't think firefox 3.6 has it, you'll need firefox 4. chrome and the latest
internet explorer should also work.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-15 22:07       ` Juan Pechiar
From: Juan Pechiar @ 2011-06-15 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 07:19:46PM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> What browser(s) are people using for this?  Conkeror doesn't work well
> at all and iceweasel (aka firefox) 3.5.19 sort of works.

Hi,

Opera 11 (OSX) seems to work OK, only that slides start to appear
shifted the higher the slide number shown. (~5% left for each slide).

.j.

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-16  7:44         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-06-16  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Pechiar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Juan Pechiar <juan@pechiar.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 07:19:46PM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>> What browser(s) are people using for this?  Conkeror doesn't work well
>> at all and iceweasel (aka firefox) 3.5.19 sort of works.
>
> Hi,
>
> Opera 11 (OSX) seems to work OK, only that slides start to appear
> shifted the higher the slide number shown. (~5% left for each slide).
>
> .j.

I am seeing the same thing with firefox 3.5.x. on Debian linux.
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.399.g01eb)

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-16  7:45         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-06-16  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 07:19:46PM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>> What browser(s) are people using for this?  Conkeror doesn't work well
>> at all and iceweasel (aka firefox) 3.5.19 sort of works.
>
> since it's an html5 presentation, you'll need a browser with html5 support.
> i don't think firefox 3.6 has it, you'll need firefox 4. chrome and the latest
> internet explorer should also work.

Thanks.  I guess I'll wait until Firefox 4 hits the Debian archives.
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.399.g01eb)

* Re: HTML5 presentations
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-06-16 15:49       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-06-16 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> What browser(s) are people using for this?  Conkeror doesn't work well
> at all and iceweasel (aka firefox) 3.5.19 sort of works.

Although I haven't tried it recently, conkeror just uses the XULrunner
engine that Firefox is based on.  So if you switch to a reasonably
recent version of XULrunner, it should work.  Current version from
Firefox4 should be 2.0.1, previous one from Firefox3.6 is 1.9.2 IIRC.
Debian likely keeps XULrunner2 in the experimental branch for the next
two and a half years... :-)

Achim.

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-16 19:07   ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2011-06-16 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

On 6/7/11 Jun 7 -3:01 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Vinh Nguyen <vinhdizzo@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> After the recent org-mode to S5 discussion, I stumbled onto
>> [these](https://gist.github.com/509761) code.  It offers a way to
>> export org files to HTML5 presentations.  I think it looks quite nice.
>>  I see it being better than S5 in that no "ui" folder is required.
>> What do you all think?  Is it worthy of being incorporated into
>> org-mode?
>
> Just tried it, and it's pretty cool!  Easy to use and nicely looking.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

I have tried the version here:
https://github.com/twada/org-html5presentation.el

and it does not seem to be ready for prime-time.  Org-babel features
don't work, and there seems to be not a clear integration with the
org-export-preprocessor.  See my two issues, one (not satisfactorily)
closed, one open.

Possibly this should be folded into contrib, so that people could
cooperate on it more easily than when it lives off in a separate git
repo, but it shouldn't be enabled for the unwary until it's been
thoroughly exercised.

Is there a "tries to use all features" org presentation somewhere that
would serve as a good acid test for an export facility?  It would be
very handy to have that.

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-16 19:29     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-06-16 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpgoldman; +Cc: Org Mode

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:

> On 6/7/11 Jun 7 -3:01 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> Vinh Nguyen <vinhdizzo@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> After the recent org-mode to S5 discussion, I stumbled onto
>>> [these](https://gist.github.com/509761) code.  It offers a way to
>>> export org files to HTML5 presentations.  I think it looks quite nice.
>>>  I see it being better than S5 in that no "ui" folder is required.
>>> What do you all think?  Is it worthy of being incorporated into
>>> org-mode?
>>
>> Just tried it, and it's pretty cool!  Easy to use and nicely looking.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Tassilo
>>

> I have tried the version here:
> https://github.com/twada/org-html5presentation.el
>
> and it does not seem to be ready for prime-time.  Org-babel features
> don't work, and there seems to be not a clear integration with the
> org-export-preprocessor.  See my two issues, one (not satisfactorily)
> closed, one open.
>
> Possibly this should be folded into contrib, so that people could
> cooperate on it more easily than when it lives off in a separate git
> repo, but it shouldn't be enabled for the unwary until it's been
> thoroughly exercised.
>
> Is there a "tries to use all features" org presentation somewhere that
> would serve as a good acid test for an export facility?  It would be
> very handy to have that.

This export target seems to re-implement much of the org HTML export
mechanics which is most likely the reason for the incomplete coverage of
Org's large functionality.

Perhaps it would be possible to change this so that it works more like
org-s5, that is, so that it firsts exports using the existing html
export functionality, and then simply manipulates the resulting html.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-16 19:35       ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2011-06-16 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode

On 6/16/11 Jun 16 -2:29 PM, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:

>>> Just tried it, and it's pretty cool!  Easy to use and nicely looking.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Tassilo
>>>

>> I have tried the version here:
>> https://github.com/twada/org-html5presentation.el
>>
>> and it does not seem to be ready for prime-time.  Org-babel features
>> don't work, and there seems to be not a clear integration with the
>> org-export-preprocessor.  See my two issues, one (not satisfactorily)
>> closed, one open.
>>
>> Possibly this should be folded into contrib, so that people could
>> cooperate on it more easily than when it lives off in a separate git
>> repo, but it shouldn't be enabled for the unwary until it's been
>> thoroughly exercised.
>>
>> Is there a "tries to use all features" org presentation somewhere that
>> would serve as a good acid test for an export facility?  It would be
>> very handy to have that.
>>

> This export target seems to re-implement much of the org HTML export
> mechanics which is most likely the reason for the incomplete coverage of
> Org's large functionality.
>
> Perhaps it would be possible to change this so that it works more like
> org-s5, that is, so that it firsts exports using the existing html
> export functionality, and then simply manipulates the resulting html.

Alternatively, would it be possible to have this behave mostly like
conventional HTML export (i.e., have the org-export-current-backend be
'html), and then simply have the code that does the emitting override
particular bits of the normal org-html behavior?

The problem with this approach is that a side-effect of setting the
org-export-current-backend to 'foo is to (require 'org-foo).  This means
it's difficult to make something like org-export-as-html5presentation be
parasitic on org-export-as-html...

I confess to not understanding how beamer and conventional latex export
interact; possibly that would provide valuable precedent for this.

best,

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-16 20:36       ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-06-16 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode, rpgoldman

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:

>>> Just tried it, and it's pretty cool!  Easy to use and nicely looking.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Tassilo
>>>

>> I have tried the version here:
>> https://github.com/twada/org-html5presentation.el
>>
>> and it does not seem to be ready for prime-time.  Org-babel features
>> don't work, and there seems to be not a clear integration with the
>> org-export-preprocessor.  See my two issues, one (not satisfactorily)
>> closed, one open.
>>
>> Possibly this should be folded into contrib, so that people could
>> cooperate on it more easily than when it lives off in a separate git
>> repo, but it shouldn't be enabled for the unwary until it's been
>> thoroughly exercised.
>>
>> Is there a "tries to use all features" org presentation somewhere that
>> would serve as a good acid test for an export facility?  It would be
>> very handy to have that.
>>

> This export target seems to re-implement much of the org HTML export
> mechanics which is most likely the reason for the incomplete coverage of
> Org's large functionality.
>
> Perhaps it would be possible to change this so that it works more like
> org-s5, that is, so that it firsts exports using the existing html
> export functionality, and then simply manipulates the resulting html.

I haven't looked at or tried either org-s5 or the html5 presentations.

I would like to note that much of the refactoring of the html exporter
is already done and is ready for prime time. I would very much like to
see that my code be used for such experimentations.

I will only note that the only way Free Software can thrive is by
adopting an "embrace and extend" approach.

Jambunathan K.

> Best -- Eric

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-16 21:50         ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2011-06-16 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Org Mode

On 6/16/11 Jun 16 -3:36 PM, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:

>>> I have tried the version here:
>>> https://github.com/twada/org-html5presentation.el
>>>
>>> and it does not seem to be ready for prime-time.  Org-babel features
>>> don't work, and there seems to be not a clear integration with the
>>> org-export-preprocessor.  See my two issues, one (not satisfactorily)
>>> closed, one open.
>>>
>>> Possibly this should be folded into contrib, so that people could
>>> cooperate on it more easily than when it lives off in a separate git
>>> repo, but it shouldn't be enabled for the unwary until it's been
>>> thoroughly exercised.
>>>
>>> Is there a "tries to use all features" org presentation somewhere that
>>> would serve as a good acid test for an export facility?  It would be
>>> very handy to have that.
>>>

>> This export target seems to re-implement much of the org HTML export
>> mechanics which is most likely the reason for the incomplete coverage of
>> Org's large functionality.
>>
>> Perhaps it would be possible to change this so that it works more like
>> org-s5, that is, so that it firsts exports using the existing html
>> export functionality, and then simply manipulates the resulting html.
>>

> I haven't looked at or tried either org-s5 or the html5 presentations.
>
> I would like to note that much of the refactoring of the html exporter
> is already done and is ready for prime time. I would very much like to
> see that my code be used for such experimentations.
>
> I will only note that the only way Free Software can thrive is by
> adopting an "embrace and extend" approach.

Can you explain more about how we should proceed?  Are you recommending:

Your refactoring should be merged into the main branch BEFORE attempting
to re-engineer org-html5presentation?

Or is there something else?

Also, does your re-engineering help with the problem that I cited above?
 I.e., the fact that org-export-current-backend is used BOTH to load the
export code AND to indicate to the preprocessor how to preprocess.  The
problem here is that we can't make two different backends share the same
preprocessing.

Actually, more generally, I think the problem is that the
export-preprocessor, since it doesn't have anything like methods or
higher-order functions, forces us to build into each preprocessing
function a big conditional based on the value of
org-export-current-backend, which is cumbersome.

Best,

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-16 23:19           ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-06-16 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpgoldman; +Cc: Org Mode, Jambunathan K

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:

> On 6/16/11 Jun 16 -3:36 PM, Jambunathan K wrote:
>> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

>>> This export target seems to re-implement much of the org HTML export
>>> mechanics which is most likely the reason for the incomplete coverage of
>>> Org's large functionality.
>>>
>>> Perhaps it would be possible to change this so that it works more like
>>> org-s5, that is, so that it firsts exports using the existing html
>>> export functionality, and then simply manipulates the resulting html.
>>>

>> I haven't looked at or tried either org-s5 or the html5 presentations.
>>
>> I would like to note that much of the refactoring of the html exporter
>> is already done and is ready for prime time. I would very much like to
>> see that my code be used for such experimentations.
>>
>> I will only note that the only way Free Software can thrive is by
>> adopting an "embrace and extend" approach.
>
> Can you explain more about how we should proceed?  Are you recommending:
>
> Your refactoring should be merged into the main branch BEFORE attempting
> to re-engineer org-html5presentation?
>
> Or is there something else?
>
> Also, does your re-engineering help with the problem that I cited above?
>  I.e., the fact that org-export-current-backend is used BOTH to load the
> export code AND to indicate to the preprocessor how to preprocess.  The
> problem here is that we can't make two different backends share the same
> preprocessing.
>
> Actually, more generally, I think the problem is that the
> export-preprocessor, since it doesn't have anything like methods or
> higher-order functions, forces us to build into each preprocessing
> function a big conditional based on the value of
> org-export-current-backend, which is cumbersome.

Admittedly I don't know what transformation are required by the html5
presentation mechanism, however I would think that an approach like that
taken in org-export-as-s5 [1], in which the existing org-export-as-html
is simply wrapped in a let-form which sets variable values uses hooks to
post-process, should be the simplest and would leverage as much of the
existing machinery as possible.

Best -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/eschulte/org-S5/blob/master/org-export-as-s5.el#L17

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-17  1:09           ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-06-17  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpgoldman; +Cc: Org Mode

I don't want to hijack this thread.

> Can you explain more about how we should proceed?

Let us invite the author of html5 in to the discussion or let some
interested party provide a patch/diff of what changes the author had
done or let the body of html5 presentation be made available so that
someone could look at it.

AFAICS, None of the above things had happended on this thread. Flame me
if my observation is wrong.

org-s5 came in to being just because some interested party provided a
good starting point for Eric to build upon. I would like to see
something likewise happen with html5 presentation. I have been in this
list for quite sometime and there have been earlier attempts at slidy
integrated which weren't as successful as the recent attempt. I wonder
what that teaches us?

I will not answer your questions because I clearly indicated that I am a
man with my own agenda and I have no understanding of the problem being
discussed.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-17  2:50             ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-06-17  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode, rpgoldman

> Admittedly I don't know what transformation are required by the html5
> presentation mechanism, however I would think that an approach like that
> taken in org-export-as-s5 [1], in which the existing org-export-as-html
> is simply wrapped in a let-form which sets variable values uses hooks to
> post-process, should be the simplest and would leverage as much of the
> existing machinery as possible.

To strengthen my argument for the generic backend agnostic driver in
org-odt branch, here are few concrete examples from org-s5.

org-s5 requires an insider understanding (see [1]) of what org does in
the background. Using my exporter wouldn't place such a huge
responsibility on the user part.

With [2] in mind, `org-export-content-div' on the current org-html.el be
"redefined".

[3] could also be elegantly handled with the new driver.

Let me re-iterate, I strongly urge that such one-off solutions be built
on top of html exporter in org-odt branch. It will help make the new
backend-agnostic driver evolve and more usable. Everyone would benefit.

While we are on the topic of presentations, let me add that with my new
exporter building a html/odt presentations along OpenOffice lines [4]
would be quite easy. That is one can make a generic presentation driver
out of the existing document driver.

IMHO let's not fallback on hacks when elegant solutions are readily
available.

Let me note that I am not interested in presentations so much as to
build a patch for or improve org-s5/org-html5.

In effect, my argument is for embracing and extending the
org-html/org-odt and help it evolve in more useful ways.

ps: I recognize that org-s5 creates useful presentations and gets the
job done.

Footnotes:
[1]  Snippet of org-s5

(org-export-preprocess-hook
 (list
  (lambda ()
    (let ((class "slide"))
      (org-map-entries
       (lambda ()
	 (save-excursion
	   (org-back-to-heading t)
	   (when (= (car (org-heading-components)) 1)
	     (put-text-property (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)
				'html-container-class class)))))))))

[2]

(lambda ()
  (save-excursion
    (replace-regexp
     (regexp-quote "<div id=\"content\">")
     (let ((info `(("author" . ,author)
                   ("title" . ,title)
                   ("date" . ,(substring date 0 10)))))
       (join `("<div class=\"layout\">"
               "<div id=\"controls\"><!-- no edit --></div>"
               "<div id=\"currentSlide\"><!-- no edit --></div>"
               "<div id=\"header\"></div>"
               "<div id=\"footer\">"
               ,(org-fill-template org-s5-title-string-fmt info)
               "</div>"
               "</div>"
               ""
               "<div class=\"presentation\">"
               ,(org-fill-template org-s5-title-page-fmt info)))))))

[3]

(lambda ()
  (save-excursion
    (replace-regexp
     (regexp-quote "<div id=\"table-of-contents\">")
     "<div id=\"table-of-contents\" class=\"slide\">")))

[4]

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Impress_Guide/Creating_slides_from_an_outline

@ 2011-06-17 19:35         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-06-17 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>> What browser(s) are people using for this?  Conkeror doesn't work well
>> at all and iceweasel (aka firefox) 3.5.19 sort of works.
>
> Although I haven't tried it recently, conkeror just uses the XULrunner
> engine that Firefox is based on.  So if you switch to a reasonably
> recent version of XULrunner, it should work.  Current version from

Thanks.  I'll look into it.
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.402.gdb1c.dirty)

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-06-18  7:09           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-06-18  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> Although I haven't tried it recently, conkeror just uses the XULrunner
>> engine that Firefox is based on.  So if you switch to a reasonably
>> recent version of XULrunner, it should work.  Current version from
>
> Thanks.  I'll look into it.

This worked for me (as root or whichever user has full control over
/usr/local):

cd /usr/local/lib
git clone git://repo.or.cz/conkeror.git
make clean && make
cd /usr/local/bin
ln -s ../lib/conkeror/contrib/run-conkeror conkeror

If you have multiple XULrunner versions installed, you can switch
between them by setting the environment variable

CONKEROR_XULRUNNER_VERSION

appropiately.  You can check which ones are installed (and properly
registered) by running

/usr/local/lib/conkeror/contrib/list-xulrunner-versions

The number in brackets is what you need to set
CONKEROR_XULRUNNER_VERSION to.  In conkeror itself, check what version
it runs on by doing an M-x version.  With FF5 XUlrunner will also switch
to version 5 apparently.

HTH,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-08-24 15:33 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2011-08-24 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zwz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 8:14 AM, zwz <zhangweize@gmail.com> wrote:
> Those days I came across two tools which I thought interesting and
> helpful if could be combined with org-export in some way.
>
> 1. Deck.js: a js lib for making modern html presentation. See
> http://imakewebthings.github.com/deck.js/#intro for more info.

I would really like to see an exporter for this, in part because
Drupal integration for deck.js is underway.  We already have several
html5 presentation modes described on worg:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/non-beamer-presentations.html

but there are lots of html5 methods out there; here are some resources:
http://slides.html5rocks.com/#landing-slide
http://usepow.com/about/#
http://code.google.com/p/html5slides/
http://code.google.com/p/sfeir/source/browse/trunk/html5-slides/

so here are a couple of questions:

- is one of these frameworks better than/easier to work with than the
others? Can any of them be shared on slideshare or another archiving
service?
- can we standardize on a feature-rich exporter and start building a
useful interface to it (e.g., on e that allows users to specify
transitions & so forth in a property)?
- what would be the best starting point for a new exporter?
Jambunathan has the generic html exporter, surely that could be a
starting point? But the simple html5presentation exporter (see link
above) produces pretty good presentations already.

Anyway, I'm very glad to see these possibilities emerging in recent
months. I'm  looking forward to the end of powerpoint! If I never have
to use OOo Present again it'll be too soon...

Matt

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-08-25 22:38 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-08-25 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, zwz

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 8:14 AM, zwz <zhangweize@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Those days I came across two tools which I thought interesting and
>> helpful if could be combined with org-export in some way.
>>
>> 1. Deck.js: a js lib for making modern html presentation. See
>> http://imakewebthings.github.com/deck.js/#intro for more info.
>>
> I would really like to see an exporter for this, in part because
> Drupal integration for deck.js is underway.

Having just walked through the introduction I will say that deck appears
to be the most polished of the html presentation engines I have yet
seen.  It would be nice to see some support for fitting html exported
from Org into deck.

> We already have several html5 presentation modes described on worg:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/non-beamer-presentations.html
>
> but there are lots of html5 methods out there; here are some resources:
> http://slides.html5rocks.com/#landing-slide
> http://usepow.com/about/#
> http://code.google.com/p/html5slides/
> http://code.google.com/p/sfeir/source/browse/trunk/html5-slides/
>
> so here are a couple of questions:
>
> - is one of these frameworks better than/easier to work with than the
> others? Can any of them be shared on slideshare or another archiving
> service?

I don't know of any standout in the space of html presentation engines,
and it seems to be fast-moving at the moment.

> - can we standardize on a feature-rich exporter

Given that, it may be wiser to continue supporting Org-mode integration
with as many of the engines as possible and wait to see if one naturally
rises above the competition.  Or, said another way, my opinion is that
it may not be a good idea to try to standardize on a single html
presentation engine at this time.

> and start building a useful interface to it (e.g., on e that allows
> users to specify transitions & so forth in a property)?

This can happen without limiting to a single exporter.

> - what would be the best starting point for a new exporter?
> Jambunathan has the generic html exporter, surely that could be a
> starting point? But the simple html5presentation exporter (see link
> above) produces pretty good presentations already.

I had a very good experience using the existing html exporter to
generate S5 presentations.  All that was needed was a little bit of
post-processing and judicious use of existing export customization
options.  I like this approach because it relies on existing Org-mode
functionality which is known to work well, and because it does not
require as much extra maintenance moving forward as would a whole new
export backend.

> Anyway, I'm very glad to see these possibilities emerging in recent
> months. I'm  looking forward to the end of powerpoint! If I never have
> to use OOo Present again it'll be too soon...

here here! -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: HTML5 presentations
@ 2011-08-26 10:58   ` zwz
From: zwz @ 2011-08-26 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 8:14 AM, zwz <zhangweize@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Those days I came across two tools which I thought interesting and
>>> helpful if could be combined with org-export in some way.
>>>
>>> 1. Deck.js: a js lib for making modern html presentation. See
>>> http://imakewebthings.github.com/deck.js/#intro for more info.
>>>
>> I would really like to see an exporter for this, in part because
>> Drupal integration for deck.js is underway.
>
> Having just walked through the introduction I will say that deck appears
> to be the most polished of the html presentation engines I have yet
> seen.  It would be nice to see some support for fitting html exported
> from Org into deck.

Yes, that is why I mention it here even though there have been several
html exporters already. HTML5+CSS3+JS really make deck cool.