* Pipe character in a table cell?
@ 2012-05-28 14:15 Daniel E. Doherty
From: Daniel E. Doherty @ 2012-05-28 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode List

All,

I would like to put a string with an embedded pipe character in the
cell.  The idea is to display regular expressions, which inevitably
contain pipe characters.  I've tried /one|two/, one\|two, "one|two", and even
"one\|two", but they all split the entry into two cells.

Is there anyway to escape the pipe character so that the cell is not
split by it?

If not, may I suggest this as a feature request.  Preferably, allow a
pipe to be embedded in quotes to be ignored?

Regards

Dan Doherty

* Re: Pipe character in a table cell?
@ 2012-05-28 14:35 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-05-28 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel E. Doherty; +Cc: Org-mode List

Daniel E. Doherty <ded-law@ddoherty.net> writes:

> All,
>
> I would like to put a string with an embedded pipe character in the
> cell.  The idea is to display regular expressions, which inevitably
> contain pipe characters.  I've tried /one|two/, one\|two, "one|two", and even
> "one\|two", but they all split the entry into two cells.
>
> Is there anyway to escape the pipe character so that the cell is not
> split by it?
>
> If not, may I suggest this as a feature request.  Preferably, allow a
> pipe to be embedded in quotes to be ignored?

\vert

@ 2012-05-28 15:44   ` Daniel E. Doherty
From: Daniel E. Doherty @ 2012-05-28 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode List

KJ,

Thanks.  I had not noticed that little footnote in the Org manual.  This
allows me to read and display the regular expression, so that's
progress.

I am a bit concerned about the fate of a naive user who comes to editing
the thing, but how naive can you be if your editing regular expressions,
right?

Regards,

Dan