* org-bullets extension
@ 2012-12-12 17:16 E Sabof
From: E Sabof @ 2012-12-12 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am the author of org-bullets extension, which can be found at
github.com/sabof/org-bullets

I wondered whether you would like to include it in org-contrib, or perhaps
integrate the functionality in org-mode?

Evgeni

* Re: org-bullets extension
@ 2012-12-12 23:48 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-12 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: E Sabof; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Evgeni,

E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com> writes:

> I am the author of org-bullets extension, which can be found at
> github.com/sabof/org-bullets

This is very nice, we have so many requests about changing the "*"
character that I guess people will love this.

> I wondered whether you would like to include it in org-contrib, or
> perhaps integrate the functionality in org-mode?

I would like to include this in contrib.

Can you license it under GPLv3 and make all the related
cosmetic changes?

Also, if you can, don't require 'cl at run time...
Use (eval-when-compile (require 'cl)) instead.
And the defun* can simply be defun from what I've seen.

Thanks in any case for sharing this!

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-bullets extension
@ 2012-12-15  9:10 ` Jambunathan K
       [not found]   ` <CAEp6Dybepdf_-6qC9mPDyYhat9DqXht=HCb4NuihS1rmNd7JQA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-12-15  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: E Sabof; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am the author of org-bullets extension, which can be found at
> github.com/sabof/org-bullets
>
> I wondered whether you would like to include it in org-contrib, or
> perhaps integrate the functionality in org-mode?

I think what the package does can be achieved by the following snippet
or with minor tweaks to it.  Is my understanding correct?

    (font-lock-add-keywords
     'org-mode `(("\\(?:^\\(?1:\\*+\\)[[:blank:]]\\)"
                  (0 (progn (compose-region
                             (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)
                             (pcase (length (match-string 1))
                               (1 ?\u2219)
                               (2 ?\u2022)
                               (3 ?\u25c9)
                               (_ ?\u25CB)))
                            nil)))))

> Evgeni

* Fwd: org-bullets extension
       [not found]   ` <CAEp6Dybepdf_-6qC9mPDyYhat9DqXht=HCb4NuihS1rmNd7JQA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-12-16  1:37     ` E Sabof
From: E Sabof @ 2012-12-16  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Currently the bullets get painted with background color on occasion.
* Overlays are easy to turn on/off. Same might be true for font-lock, I
just haven't figured out a way.
* Org-bullets conflict with overlay-heavy modes (ex. org-columns). This
probably won't be the case with font-lock.
* An important point is that in my version every character in text
translates to a single character on display. Which makes it easier to work
with headlines.

In any case, I'm open to the possibility that this approach might lead to a
better/shorter solution.

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>wrote:

> I think what the package does can be achieved by the following snippet
> or with minor tweaks to it.  Is my understanding correct?
>
>     (font-lock-add-keywords
>      'org-mode `(("\\(?:^\\(?1:\\*+\\)[[:blank:]]\\)"
>                   (0 (progn (compose-region
>                              (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)
>                              (pcase (length (match-string 1))
>                                (1 ?\u2219)
>                                (2 ?\u2022)
>                                (3 ?\u25c9)
>                                (_ ?\u25CB)))
>                             nil)))))

* Re: org-bullets extension
       [not found]   ` <CAEp6Dybepdf_-6qC9mPDyYhat9DqXht=HCb4NuihS1rmNd7JQA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-12-18 11:05   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-18 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, E Sabof

Hi Jambunathan,

>     (font-lock-add-keywords
>      'org-mode `(("\\(?:^\\(?1:\\*+\\)[[:blank:]]\\)"
>                   (0 (progn (compose-region
>                              (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)
>                              (pcase (length (match-string 1))
>                                (1 ?\u2219)
>                                (2 ?\u2022)
>                                (3 ?\u25c9)
>                                (_ ?\u25CB)))
>                             nil)))))

This does convert all headlines characters (*+) to a single
unicode character.  Close to what many users are looking for,
but extending this snippet to handle converting several *
characters would come closer.

Are you working on this?  If so, could this be a minor mode?

 Bastien

* Re: org-bullets extension
@ 2013-01-28  0:41     ` E Sabof
From: E Sabof @ 2013-01-28  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

What is the current status of the package? Was it accepted? Was it
superseded?

If it wasn't superseded, I might spend some time re-implementing it.

Evgeni

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Hi Jambunathan,
>
> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >     (font-lock-add-keywords
> >      'org-mode `(("\\(?:^\\(?1:\\*+\\)[[:blank:]]\\)"
> >                   (0 (progn (compose-region
> >                              (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)
> >                              (pcase (length (match-string 1))
> >                                (1 ?\u2219)
> >                                (2 ?\u2022)
> >                                (3 ?\u25c9)
> >                                (_ ?\u25CB)))
> >                             nil)))))
>
> This does convert all headlines characters (*+) to a single
> unicode character.  Close to what many users are looking for,
> but extending this snippet to handle converting several *
> characters would come closer.
>
> Are you working on this?  If so, could this be a minor mode?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: org-bullets extension
@ 2013-02-11 17:38       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-11 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: E Sabof; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com> writes:

> What is the current status of the package? Was it accepted? Was it
> superseded?

org-bullets.el is in the contrib/ directory.

> If it wasn't superseded, I might spend some time re-implementing it.

I think it would be nice to adapt Jambunathan's solution for Org's
core: something like a `org-replace-leading-stars' that, when non-nil,
would be used as the char/string for compose-region.  Then users could
turn this on/off using #+STARTUP.

What do you think?

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-bullets extension
@ 2013-02-12  2:38         ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2013-02-12  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> org-bullets.el is in the contrib/ directory.

By the way, I like using this one!  It works as well with the newer Org
than it did with the previous one, or at least so far that I know.  I do
not know if it is adequate to discuss contrib/ packages here, let me
apologize if I should rather not.

There is one small problem with org-bullets.el which existed then, and
which still exists.  Let me try to describe the problem.  This is merely
a display problem, the Org file is OK.

With org-bullets active, and using capture, I insert a line starting
with "- " and followed by a link as a last item under a header which was
previously closed.  The header gets opened, with all items visible,
including the one just inserted.  However, for that last item, this one
that just got inserted, the bullet of the following header and header
text is visually concatenated at the end of that item.  Typing C-l
(recenter-top-bottom) repairs the display: the bullet and its text
visually jump on the next line, where they belong.

François

P.S. I very often do this kind of capture, the contents of the generated
link come from a Google Chrome tab URL and title.  It is just a bit
annoying, after each capture, having to type C-l to correct the display.

* Re: org-bullets extension
@ 2013-02-12  4:36           ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2013-02-12  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>> org-bullets.el is in the contrib/ directory.

> Let me try to describe the problem.  [...]

Hmph!  My description was not accurate, as I can now observe.  Here is a
correction.  Instead of:

> The header gets opened, with all items visible, including the one just
> inserted.  However, for that last item, this one that just got
> inserted, the bullet of the following header and header text is
> visually concatenated at the end of that item.  Typing C-l
> (recenter-top-bottom) repairs the display: the bullet and its text
> visually jump on the next line, where they belong.

I should have written:

   The header gets opened, with all items visible, *except* the one just
   inserted.  For the *previous to last* item, that is, *the last item
   which is visible*, the bullet of the following header and header text
   is visually concatenated at the end of that item.  Typing C-l
   (recenter-top-bottom) repairs the display: the *last inserted item
   reappears*, and the bullet and its text visually jump on the next
   line, where they belong.

Sorry for my prior lack of precision.

François

* Re: org-bullets extension
@ 2013-02-12  4:45             ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-02-12  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Pinard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
>
>> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
>>> org-bullets.el is in the contrib/ directory.
>
>> Let me try to describe the problem.  [...]
>
> Hmph!  My description was not accurate, as I can now observe.  Here is a
> correction.  Instead of:
>
>> The header gets opened, with all items visible, including the one just
>> inserted.  However, for that last item, this one that just got
>> inserted, the bullet of the following header and header text is
>> visually concatenated at the end of that item.  Typing C-l
>> (recenter-top-bottom) repairs the display: the bullet and its text
>> visually jump on the next line, where they belong.
>
> I should have written:
>
>    The header gets opened, with all items visible, *except* the one just
>    inserted.  For the *previous to last* item, that is, *the last item
>    which is visible*, the bullet of the following header and header text
>    is visually concatenated at the end of that item.  Typing C-l
>    (recenter-top-bottom) repairs the display: the *last inserted item
>    reappears*, and the bullet and its text visually jump on the next
>    line, where they belong.

A screenshot is worth a 1000 words.  Remember to CC the author.  The
author is keen to hear feedbacks and will act on it promptly.

> Sorry for my prior lack of precision.
>
> François

* Re: org-bullets extension
@ 2013-02-13  7:40         ` E Sabof
From: E Sabof @ 2013-02-13  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

I tend to agree. It might also be better to enable it by default. At the
same time I'm not very familiar with org code base, so I'm probably not the
best person to do it.

Btw, the current version of org-bullets makes it possible to use a separate
face for the bullets. It might make sense to implement that as well.

Evgeni

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What is the current status of the package? Was it accepted? Was it
> > superseded?
>
> org-bullets.el is in the contrib/ directory.
>
> > If it wasn't superseded, I might spend some time re-implementing it.
>
> I think it would be nice to adapt Jambunathan's solution for Org's
> core: something like a `org-replace-leading-stars' that, when non-nil,
> would be used as the char/string for compose-region.  Then users could
> turn this on/off using #+STARTUP.
>
> What do you think?
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: org-bullets extension
@ 2013-02-20 22:58           ` E Sabof
From: E Sabof @ 2013-02-20 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

In any case, I've updated org-bullets to use compose-region. You can get it
from here:

https://github.com/sabof/org-bullets

Evgeni

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 7:40 AM, E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tend to agree. It might also be better to enable it by default. At the
> same time I'm not very familiar with org code base, so I'm probably not the
> best person to do it.
>
> Btw, the current version of org-bullets makes it possible to use a
> separate face for the bullets. It might make sense to implement that as
> well.
>
> Evgeni
>

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
>
>> E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > What is the current status of the package? Was it accepted? Was it
>> > superseded?
>>
>> org-bullets.el is in the contrib/ directory.
>>
>> > If it wasn't superseded, I might spend some time re-implementing it.
>>
>> I think it would be nice to adapt Jambunathan's solution for Org's
>> core: something like a `org-replace-leading-stars' that, when non-nil,
>> would be used as the char/string for compose-region.  Then users could
>> turn this on/off using #+STARTUP.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> --
>>  Bastien

* Re: org-bullets extension
@ 2013-02-21 17:58             ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2013-02-21 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com> writes:

> In any case, I've updated org-bullets to use compose-region. You can
> get it from here: https://github.com/sabof/org-bullets

Hi, Evgeni (and gang).

I've been trying this new org-bullets today, and I did not meet yet some
of the problems I observed before.  So, at first glance, it looks good:
I'll use it more regularly in the incoming days.  Thanks for this! :-)

François

* Re: org-bullets extension
@ 2013-02-23  9:31             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-23  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: E Sabof; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

Hi Evgeni,

E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com> writes:

> In any case, I've updated org-bullets to use compose-region. You can
> get it from here:
>
> https://github.com/sabof/org-bullets

I've updated the Org's repository with a fresh version of
org-bullets.el.  Do you want write access to the repository
so that you can do the merge yourself?  If so, just send me
your public key.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-bullets extension
@ 2013-02-23  9:39       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-23  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: E Sabof; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com> writes:

> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:

>     (font-lock-add-keywords
>      'org-mode `(("\\(?:^\\(?1:\\*+\\)[[:blank:]]\\)"
>                   (0 (progn (compose-region
>                              (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)
>                              (pcase (length (match-string 1))
>                                (1 ?\u2219)
>                                (2 ?\u2022)
>                                (3 ?\u25c9)
>                                (_ ?\u25CB)))
>                             nil)))))

I have now added this snippet to the Worg FAQ (in the section "Can I
use another character than "*" to start a headline?") and mentioned
org-bullets.el there too.

--
 Bastien