* Beginner footnotes question
@ 2013-03-13  4:59 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2013-03-13  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just started learning org-mode today and I'm having trouble understanding
footnotes. I'm seeing that there are different ways to embed a footnote
"marker" in your ongoing work, but where do the actual full, expanded
footnotes go? In a single .org file, I'm presuming footnotes go "at the
bottom" of that file. Is this correct? Actually, I'd prefer footnotes to be
in a separate ascii file, almost like a many-to-many relationship.

LB

* Re: Beginner footnotes question
@ 2013-03-13  6:17 ` Aaron Ecay
From: Aaron Ecay @ 2013-03-13  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Bottorff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Lawrence,

You can have footnotes be inserted automatically:
- in their own section (by default at the bottom of the document, though
  you can move it anywhere)
- at the end of the current section, or
- inline with the text

For the first behavior, set the variable ‘org-footnote-define-inline’ to
nil.  For the second, set both ‘org-footnote-define-inline’ and
‘org-footnote-section’ to nil.  And for the third, set
‘org-footnote-define-inline’ to something other than nil.

You can place footnote definitions manually wherever you choose.

You can use the line
#+INCLUDE: "file.org"
to include one org file inside another for export purposes.  I don’t
know off the top of my head whether this works to import footnote
definitions from a separate file, though I don’t see a reason why it
shouldn’t.  Try it and see!  (It almost certainly won’t allow footnotes
in one file to be links to locations in another.)

--
Aaron Ecay

* Re: Beginner footnotes question
@ 2013-03-13 14:56   ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2013-03-13 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Bottorff, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Aaron Ecay <aaronecay@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Lawrence,
>
> You can have footnotes be inserted automatically:
> - in their own section (by default at the bottom of the document, though
>   you can move it anywhere)
> - at the end of the current section, or
> - inline with the text
>
> For the first behavior, set the variable ‘org-footnote-define-inline’ to
> nil.  For the second, set both ‘org-footnote-define-inline’ and
> ‘org-footnote-section’ to nil.  And for the third, set
> ‘org-footnote-define-inline’ to something other than nil.
>
> Let's say I want the "default" behavior, i.e. the expansion of the
footnote definitions in their own section. Here's a line in my .org file:

1. Re-read Stephenson's "Metaphysics in the Royal Society 1715-2010" [fn::
Stephenson: Leibnitz], especially for the description of "monads."

Now what do I do? The expansion/definition of this placeholder is

"Some Remarks"; "Essays and Other Writings"; Stephenson, Neal;
HarperCollins Publishers; 978-0-06-202443-5; 2012; pp 38-57.

Where does this expansion go? Do I do M->, hit the Enter a few times and
type it in? But then how does the placeholder above know to link to it? And
the ‘org-footnote-define-inline’ etc. look like elisp variable names. Do I
set them in my .emacs? That doesn't seem quite right since I might be
juggling many different .org files, each with a different footnote style.

@ 2013-03-13 16:04     ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2013-03-13 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Bottorff, emacs-orgmode

Sorry, I'm stumbling badly here. I now realize the org-footnote-auto-label
needs to be set to avoid the default (t) behavior of doing numbered
footnotes ( [fn:1] ) after C-c C-x f auto-inserts. Good. But where do the
in-buffer settings go? I assume they go in the .org file you're currently
working in? At the top maybe?

@ 2013-03-13 16:11     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-03-13 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Lawrence Bottorff <galaxybeinglambda@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Aaron Ecay <aaronecay@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi Lawrence,
>
>     You can have footnotes be inserted automatically:
>     - in their own section (by default at the bottom of the document,
>     though
>     you can move it anywhere)
>     - at the end of the current section, or
>     - inline with the text
>
>     For the first behavior, set the variable
>     ‘org-footnote-define-inline’ to
>     nil. For the second, set both ‘org-footnote-define-inline’ and
>     ‘org-footnote-section’ to nil. And for the third, set
>     ‘org-footnote-define-inline’ to something other than nil.
>
> Let's say I want the "default" behavior, i.e. the expansion of the
> footnote definitions in their own section. Here's a line in my .org
> file:
>
> 1. Re-read Stephenson's "Metaphysics in the Royal Society 1715-2010"
> [fn:: Stephenson: Leibnitz], especially for the description of
> "monads."
>
> Now what do I do? The expansion/definition of this placeholder is
>
> "Some Remarks"; "Essays and Other Writings"; Stephenson, Neal;
> HarperCollins Publishers; 978-0-06-202443-5; 2012; pp 38-57.
>
> Where does this expansion go? Do I do M->, hit the Enter a few times
> and type it in? But then how does the placeholder above know to link
> to it? And the ‘org-footnote-define-inline’ etc. look like elisp
> variable names. Do I set them in my .emacs? That doesn't seem quite
> right since I might be juggling many different .org files, each with a
> different footnote style.

Did you read the Footnotes section of the Org manual? In your example
above, the Stephenson footnote should either look like this:

[fn:stephenson: "Some Remarks"; "Essays and Other Writings"; Stephenson,
Neal; HarperCollins Publishers; 978-0-06-202443-5; 2012; pp 38-57.]

Where the whole definition is inlined, and other footnotes can refer to
this definition as [fn:stephenson], or else:

[fn:stephenson] in one or more locations in the file, and then a
footnote definition elsewhere in the file (where exactly is determined
by `org-footnote-section') that looks like:

[fn:stephenson] "Some Remarks"; "Essays and Other Writings"; Stephenson,
Neal; HarperCollins Publishers; 978-0-06-202443-5; 2012; pp 38-57.

You can use this line:

#+STARTUP: fninline
or
#+STARTUP: nofninline

To switch between the two styles on a per-file basis. As far as I can
tell, however, `org-footnote-section' is a global variable.

In particular, the notation you mention -- [fn:: Stephenson:
Leibnitz] -- isn't legal, the double colons are only for an "anonymous"
footnote definition that only works in one place.

Though it's perfectly feasible to type out your footnote references and
definitions by hand, you'll be much happier if you set your
configuration variables properly, and then use "C-c C-x f" as your sole
tool for manipulating footnotes.

Hope that wasn't confusing (or wrong!),

Eric

* Re: Beginner footnotes question
@ 2013-03-14  3:55       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-03-14  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Lawrence Bottorff <galaxybeinglambda@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry, I'm stumbling badly here. I now realize the
> org-footnote-auto-label needs to be set to avoid the default (t)
> behavior of doing numbered footnotes ( [fn:1] ) after C-c C-x f
> auto-inserts. Good. But where do the in-buffer settings go? I assume
> they go in the .org file you're currently working in? At the top
> maybe?

That's right, you can have a single #+STARTUP: declaration at the top of
the file, and nearly everything footnote related can go in there. To
wit:

 To influence footnote settings, use the following keywords.  The
     corresponding variables are 'org-footnote-define-inline',
     'org-footnote-auto-label', and 'org-footnote-auto-adjust'.
          fninline    define footnotes inline
          fnnoinline  define footnotes in separate section
          fnlocal     define footnotes near first reference, but not inline
          fnprompt    prompt for footnote labels
          fnauto      create '[fn:1]'-like labels automatically (default)
          fnconfirm   offer automatic label for editing or confirmation
          fnplain     create '[1]'-like labels automatically
          fnadjust    automatically renumber and sort footnotes
          nofnadjust  do not renumber and sort automatically

Just put all your options on one line, separated by spaces.