* Restore an archived subtree - Restauration d'une branche spécique archivée
@ 2013-04-04  5:44 Steve Prud'Homme
From: Steve Prud'Homme @ 2013-04-04  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I archive with C-c C-x C-a  on a .org_archive file.

How can I restore a subtree. It is possible

Bonjour, j’archive mes données dans mes fichier org avec C-c C-x C-a dans un
fichier avec l’extension .org_archive.

Est-ce que c’est possible de récupérer une branche spécifique.

* Re: Restore an archived subtree - Restauration d'une branche spécique archivée
@ 2013-04-04  9:55 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-04  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Prud'Homme; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Steve,

"Steve Prud'Homme" <sprudhom@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I archive with C-c C-x C-a  on a .org_archive file.
>
> How can I restore a subtree. It is possible

Right after C-c C-x C-a you can do C-/ to undo.

But you cannot restore subtrees archived at arbitrary time in the
past.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Restore an archived subtree - Restauration d'une branche spécique archivée
@ 2013-04-04 10:53   ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-04 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Steve Prud'Homme

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Steve,
>
> "Steve Prud'Homme" <sprudhom@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi, I archive with C-c C-x C-a  on a .org_archive file.
>>
>> How can I restore a subtree. It is possible
>
> Right after C-c C-x C-a you can do C-/ to undo.
>
> But you cannot restore subtrees archived at arbitrary time in the
> past.
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

I was thinking about this also for some time, as I sometimes use the
archive in literal programming to store some code chunks which I might
need later again.

I understand that it is not possible to store in the archive a link to
the location to which the subtree should be restored as edits will
change the location.
But what about assigning each archived subtree an ID which is stored
together with the snippet in the archive file, and then put at the
location in the original file a property giving the ID of the
archived snippet? In this way one could

a) easily see what was archived from where, and
b) restore the subtree to the location of the ID in the original file?

I think it would be a nice little extra in the process of archiving.

Cheers,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University
South Africa