* Automatic ordered lists with "intelligent decimalization"?
@ 2014-06-07 13:52 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2014-06-07 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've seen explanations all around this issue, but nothing specific to the
question: Can you create so-called *ordered* list entries automatically,
i.e., just with M-ret and  M-left/right? I saw this very question asked in
stackoverflow.com (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13378222/emacs-ordered-lists-in-org-mode)
. . . then not answered.

I want to create a hierarchy of list items which are numbered, with proper
"decimalization" for the subtree(s):

1. thing-1
1.1. thing-1-1
1.2. thing-1-2
1.2.1. thing-1-2-1
. . .

It seems from the documentation that this behavior is only manual
insertion. Otherwise, I start with

1. Header

then do M-ret and M-right. But that only indents and starts another 1. line.

1. Header
   1. sub header

Subsequent M-ret's only produces either increments, or a M-ret M-right
creates a sub-sub starting again at 1:

1. Header
   1. sub header
   2. sub header
   3. sub header
      1. sub sub header

* Re: Automatic ordered lists with "intelligent decimalization"?
@ 2014-06-07 13:58 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-06-07 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Bottorff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> I've seen explanations all around this issue, but nothing specific to the
> question: Can you create so-called *ordered* list entries automatically,
> i.e., just with M-ret and  M-left/right?

[...]

> I want to create a hierarchy of list items which are numbered, with proper
> "decimalization" for the subtree(s):
>
> 1. thing-1
> 1.1. thing-1-1
> 1.2. thing-1-2
> 1.2.1. thing-1-2-1

No, you cannot.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Automatic ordered lists with "intelligent decimalization"?
@ 2014-06-07 18:34   ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2014-06-07 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Besides the stackoverflow idea, my kludge is

#+STARTUP: hidestars

* 1
** 1.1
** 1.2
** 1.3
*** 1.3.1
*** 1.3.2
**** 1.3.2.1
***** 1.3.2.1.1
***** 1.3.2.1.2

Does anyone know where this sort of thing resides? Emacs outline?

@ 2014-06-07 21:04     ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-06-07 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Bottorff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-06-07 20:34 Lawrence Bottorff wrote:
> Besides the stackoverflow idea, my kludge is
>
> #+STARTUP: hidestars
>
> * 1
> ** 1.1
> ** 1.2
> ** 1.3
> *** 1.3.1
> *** 1.3.2
> **** 1.3.2.1
> ***** 1.3.2.1.1
> ***** 1.3.2.1.2
>
> Does anyone know where this sort of thing resides? Emacs outline?

What do you mean by resides?  Do you want to know which entity defines
the syntax of org documents?  AFAIK that would be org-element.el, which
parses an org-mode structured file into a syntax tree.

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier