* How to specify the tangled comment to be the location of the noweb ref definition instead of where it was tangled?
@ 2014-06-10 16:31 Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-06-10 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Good morning,

This is a test. I am confused about the line numbers specified in the tangled
comments versus their actual location in the source org file. I can't get them
to line up.

System:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(concat "Emacs version: " (emacs-version) "\n"
        "Org version: " (org-version))

#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: Emacs version: GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.1.0, NS
apple-appkit-1265.19)
:  of 2014-04-24 on orion
: Org version: 8.2.6

The destination is:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle test.el :noweb tangle
;; begin
<<test-block>>
;; end
#+end_src

The default header args are:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
org-babel-default-header-args
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
| (:comments . noweb) | (:padline . yes) | (:session . none) |
(:results . replace) | (:exports . code) | (:cache . no) | (:noweb .
no) | (:hlines . no) | (:tangle . no) |

The comment formats are:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(concat "Beg: " org-babel-tangle-comment-format-beg "\nEnd: "
org-babel-tangle-comment-format-end)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: Beg: line %start-line in %file
: [[%link][%start-line, %file]]
: End: =============================================================================

The source block is here:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq message "This is a test.")
(message message)
#+end_src

Should the comment in file:./test.el specify the same line number that the
source block shows up in? For me it looks like 44 in the block and 20 the
comment. So, it is looking at where the noweb ref was expanded?

How do I make the code comment specify the actual location of the source block
ref, not just where it was expanded and tangled?

Kind regards,

Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM, Sigma Xi
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

* Re: How to specify the tangled comment to be the location of the noweb ref definition instead of where it was tangled?
@ 2014-06-12 19:46 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-06-12 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> How do I make the code comment specify the actual location of the source block
> ref, not just where it was expanded and tangled?

Currently inserting comments around snippets of code expanded with noweb
is not supported.  You may be able to fake this through the clever use
of variables along the lines of the following,

#+begin_src sh :var start=(line-number-at-pos (point)) :results scalar
  cat <<EOF
  # started at $start
  foo bar baz
  EOF
#+end_src

or an implementation of optional wrappers for noweb-expanded snippets
would probably start with the `org-babel-expand-noweb-references'
function.

Best,
Eric

--