From: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>
To: rene <jlr_0@yahoo.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Bernt Hansen's
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 13:46:30 -0500	[thread overview]

rene <jlr_0@yahoo.com> writes:

> I wonder whether Bernt would agree to turn his config file into an actual
> lisp package that could be available via Elpa?
>
> I find his code pretty close to what GTD should look like.  There are a few
> things though that could be twicked a bit in order to comply with David
> Allen's new book on Getting Things Done.
>
> I will try to contact Bernt and ask him to deliver such an org-gtd.el
> package.  That would be great for the orgmode community.

Hi Rene,

I don't have time to maintain an Elpa package of this stuff currently.
This past Friday I just did a 'catch up' in gnus on this mailing list
and skipped 8600+ unread articles (including this one) due to lack of
available time.  Thanks for the email in private that brought this
thread to my attention.

It should be possible to extract the lisp from my document
(http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.org) and generate a lisp file with C-c
C-v C-t. This is described at the end of
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode#HowToUseThisDocument

From there you can edit whatever you need to for your settings.

I personally don't want to conform strictly to David Allen's idea of how
GTD should work.  I like to roll-my-own way of doing things and if an
Elpa packaging of this code would require learning and modifying the
workflows to match David Allen's latest book I simply don't have time
for that undertaking.  Someone else is welcome to take that on if they
are interested.

I just discovered late last week that one of my settings relies on a
feature of the org-mode master branch (and has for over a year) and this
change has not been included in any maintenance release of org-mode.
Lots of people have contacted me about the breaking signature change in
org-remove-drawer-at which is posted in my config since I use the master
branch of org-mode.  I think most people will be using official released
versions of org-mode so I'm not sure how best to handle this issue until
Org 8.3 is released which is supposed to include this signature change.
I will probably just document the signature change and provide
alternative code to use in the extracted version for maintenance
releases until 8.3 is created.

Best Regards,
Bernt