* Oas: a small addon to Org Mode to automatically close tasks with statistics
@ 2019-08-30 21:09 Andrea Giugliano
From: Andrea Giugliano @ 2019-08-30 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

I recently landed on this conversation:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-03/msg00802.html

Since I find myself quite often in a situation like the following:

* TODO abc [3/3]
- [X] a
- [X] b
- [X] c

I decided to dive more into Org's API, and I created this library [0] to
automatically moving that task to DONE. My library checks that when you
are in a situation like:

* TODO abc [1/1]
- [X] a

** TODO b

the parent task does not swap to DONE because there is still a sub-task
to complete.

Tasks that have heading like

* abc [0/1]

or

* TODO abc

do NOT get updated, because I want this to work only for TODO that have
statistics.

How could I propose this as an add-on of Org Mode? Do you think it is
worth the effort?

Any feedback is very welcome to learn more :)

Best,

Andrea

[0] https://github.com/ag91/org-active-statistics

* Re: Oas: a small addon to Org Mode to automatically close tasks with statistics
@ 2019-09-01  5:41 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2019-09-01  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Andrea,

This is a nice idea.  Here are a few notes:

1.  You should implement it as a minor mode, and enable/disable the
hooks there.

2.  I would generally recommend using org-element to help with parsing.
It will make your code much cleaner and easier to understand.  Much of
the searching code you currently have is unidiomatic and hard to follow,
and org-element will help with that.

3.  Avoid using hard-coded to-do keywords, because users may be using
custom ones.  Instead, use the variables and functions provided by Org
that are related to to-do keywords.  Use tools like apropos, Helm, or
Counsel, or the Org source code, to help discover them.

* Re: Oas: a small addon to Org Mode to automatically close tasks with statistics
@ 2019-10-07  2:03 ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2019-10-07  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Interesting addon, I like this idea. :)

I remember Org Mode has a similar option (can't figure out the option name). And
also have some similar solution like this. Just they are depend on "task
dependencies".

I want to add some hooks on your code, but found this code is hard to read. I
agree Adam's advice, better to use ~org-element~ API to do parsing.

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning what I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3