I don't think anyone has reviewed org--extended-face yet (I first drafted it in bug#42184#17), so don't hesitate to call me out on it if something looks off. FWIW I saw no warnings when running "make" with Emacs 26.3 nor with 28. I made patches for both maint and master because - the patch for maint has a small conflict in org-compat when applied against master, - I'm not sure which branch will eventually be synchronized with emacs-27 (assuming we'll include this fix in 27.2). Thank you for following up on this.