From: "Juan Manuel Macías" <maciaschain@posteo.net>
To: orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: An attempt to prepare critical editions within Org
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 11:45:07 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

If there is a philologist among the colisters who is working on critical
editions (a type of text with several complex apparatus of footnotes and
endnotes, and with numbering and various material at the margin ---an
example of critical edition I recently typesetted for a German publisher:
https://maciaschain.gitlab.io/lunotipia/images/muestras_cariton1.png),
you may find the following interesting.

I am working on a package, org-critical-edition, to prepare philological
critical editions from the comfort of Org Mode. The natural backend of
these documents should be LaTeX with the 'reledmac' package
(https://ctan.org/pkg/reledmac), an excellent package mantained by
Maïeul Rouquette (https://github.com/maieul/ledmac), that is the most
mature option to work in this type of texts within LaTeX. But in the
future I may add some support to export data to the TEI-xml standard,
widely used in Humanities.

The basic idea of my package is that the 'critical notes' are always
hidden and only the annotated passages are shown in the text (they are
actually Org links, but what is shown is the target, while the
description and the target label remains invisible). Each critical note
can be edited or created (over a marked region) in a dedicated buffer.

Soon I will upload to GitLab a first version of the package (quite
immature at the moment: feedback welcome!) but here is a brief
screencast:
https://lunotipia.juanmanuelmacias.com/images/org-critical-edition.mp4

Best regards,

Juan Manuel