Hi Tim and all, Thanks for sticking with me here... Tim Cross writes: > I just checked this when running emacs -Q and get the following > > comment-line-break-function is a variable defined in ‘simple.el’. > > Its value is ‘org-comment-line-break-function’ > > and fill-prefix is > > fill-prefix is a variable defined in ‘simple.el’. > > Its value is nil OK, those are the values I have too... > and I don't get any error with M-j and cannot reproduce the issue you > are encountering. . Do you see an error if you explicitly call (insert-before-markers-and-inherit nil) ? Because that is what org-comment-line-break-function does when fill-prefix is nil. That is the source of the error on all the versions where I have reproduced it. If you don't see the error then, it would indicate to me that something in your setup is suppressing it. > Looking at the git log, I can only find these messages relating to > default-indent-new-line > ... > which indicates the function was added in 2007 by RMS and made the > default for M-j in 2019. Right, which is why I don't see it with M-j in Emacs 26, presumably. Emacs 26.1, the version installed on my Debian system, was released May 28, 2018. > my suspicion is that your org version is too old for the current Emacs > versions... The other possibility is that you have a broken "mixed" > installation of org. I'm aware of the difficulties of a mixed installation and have been careful to avoid them. I run Org from git, usually a recent pull of the bugfix branch, which I load via use-package from my init file. But I have also tested it with the built-in Org for various versions of Emacs with emacs -Q. I do not have Org installed via ELPA. Just to be extra, super sure, I built Emacs this afternoon from a checkout of the repo, and the error is *still* there, with the same cause. In that build, with emacs -Q, I have: (org-version) "9.5" (emacs-version) "GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2021-11-30" At this point I've replicated the bug on my machine in four different builds of Emacs (version 26.1 from Debian, 27.2 and "emacs-next" from Guix, and version 29.0.50 I built myself from source) with several versions of Org (the built-in ones in these Emacsen and a recent build of the bugfix branch). It is robustly reproducible for me, and the cause is clear: default-indent-new-line calls org-comment-line-break-function, which calls (insert-before-markers-and-inherit nil) which is a type error. I'm looking for help figuring out what the right fix is. I attach a patch for the simplest fix I can think of; please let me know if something else would be better. -- Best, Richard