Hi Russell, I have a few comments on your comments :) > These kind of issues snowball because we are also indirectly asking > for our coders and maintainers to consider those external tools while > continuing to support Org. As I read it, considering other tools was just in the respect of indicating what degree of support different tools have for Org as defined by org-mode. Not changing anything we do based on those tools. > How many syntax documents are we supposed to maintain outside of the working > implementation in Emacs and the manual? Just the one. I have some ideas on this that need to be written up, but I see this more as polishing our syntax specification such that it’s is more approachable for someone interested in supporting Org. IMO this leads to a syntax document which is just better, period. > The topic of software freedom comes up because by definition, other > tools are outside of Emacs and may be non-free. It’s important to > consider, but isn’t a reason to not discuss features. The key is our > volunteers should not be required to code features for non-free tools > outside of Emacs. I don’t think anybody has proposed this. Personally I’m not even sure how we went from making the website/docs more approachable to supporting 3rd party tools ourselves, or changing anything in org-mode itself for them… > An implied support requirement to preserve interoperability with > external tools is a large commitment, and could also run into the > non-free software issue. Expect people to have strong opinions about > these matters. With regards to this, by the very nature of things, any change that would break interoperability with external tools would have to be a breaking change to the syntax (with all the relevant implications for org-mode itself). In such a situation, this would be the major concern, not external tools, so I see this line of reasoning as being a bit moot. > Discussions are often fruitful for all involved and shouldn’t be a > problem when conducted in a respectful manner. Expect critical > opinions at times, but we should keep it civil. Indeed. I do find myself wishing that some discussions stayed more on-topic though… All the best, Timothy