From: "Juan Manuel Macías" <maciaschain@posteo.net>
To: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
Cc: orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Link type for pdf-tools annotations
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 00:40:31 +0000	[thread overview]

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Many times I need to "save" an annotation point in the pdf-tools
>> annotations buffer. So I defined a new link type and the function to
>> store it. The link is stored with the structure:
>>
>> [[pdf-annot:/path/to/file.pdf::annotation-date][file-name.pdf (annot. on p. page-number)]]
>>
>> The link opens the PDF and jumps to the specific annotation.
>
> You may also utilize `org-create-file-search-functions' and
> `org-execute-file-search-functions' to make an ordinary file: links
> works for the same purpose.

Thanks for the pointers. Note that in this use case I don't need to
search in the PDF file itself but in the pdf-annot-list-mode buffer that
is created via pdf-annot-list-annotations. This buffer is synchronized
with the PDF to which it is linked. What this link type does is visit
the pdf file (with pdf-tools), create the list of annotations and jump
to the specific annotation, by date.
pdf-annot-list-display-annotation-from-id highlights the specific list
annotation in the linked PDF (if necessary, moves to the corresponding
page), and opens the content of the annotation in another window
(interactively the function is executed by pressing SPC on the
annotation list at point). Storing the annotation date seemed like the
safest option to me, since the annotation id can change when adding new
annotations, each time the list is created. The typical scenario: when I
am consulting a PDF annotated by someone and I want to store the
location of some specific annotations. As there can be many annotations
per page, adding a simple bookmark to the page would not be enough
either.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño editorial y ortotipografía