* ob-sql-mode/session
@ 2024-06-05 16:53 Phil
From: Phil @ 2024-06-05 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corwin, emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

In need for a sessions support on SQL, I checked
ob-sql.el and sql.el lately, then wrote
[[https://github.com/flintforge/ob-sql-session][ob-sql-session]]
(no pun intended, at all:)

It started with a quick workaround on ob-sql,
which turned out to be the same logic to what
_ob-sql-mode_ does: a simple sql-redirect.  Most of
the content found in it was general consideration
regarding org-mode usage with source blocks, and a
working solution is more demanding, so I felt a
little embarassed to fork ob-sql-mode after, but
still, would like to volunteer.

Perhaps it would also be embrassement to have a
package named ob-sql-session in the repos (because
it's not related to Emacs sessions of course;)?

https://github.com/nikclayton/ob-sql-mode/issues/14#issue-1855387618
https://github.com/flintforge/ob-sql-session

Phil

* Re: ob-sql-mode/session
@ 2024-06-05 18:50 ` Ihor Radchenko
       [not found]   ` <3b7fef2f-1d96-4d78-bba3-1002b3741915@7d.nz>
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-06-05 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil, Daniel Kraus; +Cc: corwin, emacs-orgmode

Phil <pe@7d.nz> writes:

> In need for a sessions support on SQL, I checked
> ob-sql.el and sql.el lately, then wrote
> [[https://github.com/flintforge/ob-sql-session][ob-sql-session]]
> (no pun intended, at all:)
>
> It started with a quick workaround on ob-sql,
> which turned out to be the same logic to what
> _ob-sql-mode_ does: a simple sql-redirect.  Most of
> the content found in it was general consideration
> regarding org-mode usage with source blocks, and a
> working solution is more demanding, so I felt a
> little embarassed to fork ob-sql-mode after, but
> still, would like to volunteer.
>
> Perhaps it would also be embrassement to have a
> package named ob-sql-session in the repos (because
> it's not related to Emacs sessions of course;)?

CCing Daniel, the ob-sql maintainer.

I am not sure if I 100% understand this email, but it sounds to me like
a proposal to add :session support to Org mode's ob-sql.

Note that we do have session support in the todo list:

;; TODO:
;;
;; - support for sessions
;; - support for more engines
;; - what's a reasonable way to drop table data into SQL?

So, adding sessions to ob-sql would be certainly welcome.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: ob-sql-mode/session
       [not found]   ` <3b7fef2f-1d96-4d78-bba3-1002b3741915@7d.nz>
@ 2024-06-06  5:34     ` Phil
From: Phil @ 2024-06-06  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko, Daniel Kraus; +Cc: corwin, emacs-orgmode

* [2024-06-06 02:20] Phil:
> * [2024-06-05 20:50] Ihor Radchenko:
>>
>> Phil <pe@7d.nz> writes:
>>
>>> In need for a sessions support on SQL, I checked
>>> ob-sql.el and sql.el lately, then wrote
>>> https://github.com/flintforge/ob-sql-session
>>>

>> CCing Daniel, the ob-sql maintainer.
>>
>> it sounds to me like a proposal to add :session support to Org mode's
>> ob-sql.

Yes, it is. The re-wiring will need to federate
and differentiate some command-line options
without them clashing. Of course it's easier to
get it operational on databases one is used to work
with.
I'll be testing further these new functions in real
conditions before, and think about a complete test
coverage on the other DBs.

Phil

* Re: ob-sql-mode/session
@ 2024-06-06 15:26       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-06-06 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil; +Cc: Daniel Kraus, corwin, emacs-orgmode

Phil <pe@7d.nz> writes:

> Yes, it is. The re-wiring will need to federate
> and differentiate some command-line options
> without them clashing. Of course it's easier to
> get it operational on databases one is used to work
> with.
> I'll be testing further these new functions in real
> conditions before, and think about a complete test
> coverage on the other DBs.

Feel free to send a patch when you are done.
Also, feel free to ask us anything, if you have questions.

You may find https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html useful.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,