* Incremental search in hidden text does not work in Org 9.7 Emacs 28
@ 2024-06-05 12:09 Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2024-06-05 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Consider a file with a link
---- 8< ----
Text

[[file:text.org][Something]]
---- >8 ----

Incremental search
    C-s file
does not work with current main HEAD (v9.7) and Emacs-28.

`org-fold-core-style' text-properties

There is no issue for Org 9.6.28. Link part is temporary revealed when
search is active.

* Re: Incremental search in hidden text does not work in Org 9.7 Emacs 28
@ 2024-06-05 15:06 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-06-05 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Consider a file with a link
> ---- 8< ----
> Text
>
> [[file:text.org][Something]]
> ---- >8 ----
>
> Incremental search
>     C-s file
> does not work with current main HEAD (v9.7) and Emacs-28.
>
> `org-fold-core-style' text-properties
>
> There is no issue for Org 9.6.28. Link part is temporary revealed when
> search is active.

`org-fold-core-style' text-properties is going to be obsoleted.
I tried to support isearch, but it is ultimately an uphill battle
against bugs popping out here and there.

So, alas, no dedicated Org mode support for searching inside invisible text
properties. This got to be implemented on Emacs side to work properly,
without ugly workarounds.

Wontfix.
Canceled.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Incremental search in hidden text does not work in Org 9.7 Emacs 28
@ 2024-06-05 15:24   ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2024-06-05 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 05/06/2024 22:06, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> `org-fold-core-style' text-properties is going to be obsoleted.
> I tried to support isearch, but it is ultimately an uphill battle
> against bugs popping out here and there.

I have seen these words in another thread, but I did not expect a
regression in comparison to 9.6.

At least search in folded headers and drawers works, but without search
in link targets 9.7 is hardly usable for daily usage for me. I have not
tested yet to which degree overlays are painful for my notes file.

* Re: Incremental search in hidden text does not work in Org 9.7 Emacs 28
@ 2024-06-05 18:06     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-06-05 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On 05/06/2024 22:06, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> `org-fold-core-style' text-properties is going to be obsoleted.
>> I tried to support isearch, but it is ultimately an uphill battle
>> against bugs popping out here and there.
>
> I have seen these words in another thread, but I did not expect a
> regression in comparison to 9.6.

I had to do it because `org-fold-core-style' 'overlays was broken with
the previous implementation. I could avoid regression risking to
introduce other bugs, but ultimately decided that it is not worth it in
the long run - there *will* be more bugs related to text properties.

Between keeping a bug for overlay folding, not breaking the link search,
and writing more workarounds for text properties, I chose the first
option. I did not find any better solution.

> At least search in folded headers and drawers works, but without search
> in link targets 9.7 is hardly usable for daily usage for me. I have not
> tested yet to which degree overlays are painful for my notes file.

Remember that older Org mode also did not have link paths searchable.
But you can always (1) disable org-link-descriptive; (2) enable
search-invisible.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Incremental search in hidden text does not work in Org 9.7 Emacs 28
@ 2024-06-08 14:48       ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2024-06-08 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 06/06/2024 01:06, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Remember that older Org mode also did not have link paths searchable.

You are right, I forgot about it.

Since the feature was advertised in ORG-NEWS

> **** Hidden parts of the links can now be searched and revealed during isearch
another entry should be added that it does not work any more. I would
mark this heading as an obsolete one as well.

* Re: Incremental search in hidden text does not work in Org 9.7 Emacs 28
@ 2024-06-09  9:23         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-06-09  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On 06/06/2024 01:06, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> Remember that older Org mode also did not have link paths searchable.
>
> You are right, I forgot about it.
>
> Since the feature was advertised in ORG-NEWS
>
>> **** Hidden parts of the links can now be searched and revealed during isearch
> another entry should be added that it does not work any more. I would
> mark this heading as an obsolete one as well.

Done.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=0c0669466

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,