* Choosing local org package instead of sitewide
@ 2009-07-08 18:57 Kyle Sexton
From: Kyle Sexton @ 2009-07-08 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to run a local copy of org pulled from the latest git instead
of the sitewide version installed with emacs.  How can I specify that emacs
should use the copy in my ~/elisp/org directory instead of the sitewide
version?

Probably a simple question, but deleting the sitewide org directory doesn't
seem like the right solution. :P

--
Kyle Sexton

* Re: Choosing local org package instead of sitewide
@ 2009-07-08 19:29 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-08 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kyle Sexton <ks@mocker.org> writes:
> I would like to run a local copy of org pulled from the latest git instead
> of the sitewide version installed with emacs.  How can I specify that emacs
> should use the copy in my ~/elisp/org directory instead of the sitewide
> version?
>
> Probably a simple question, but deleting the sitewide org directory doesn't
> seem like the right solution. :P

Hm - depends on how you install emacs. I follow the CVS emacs as well
and remove the /usr/local/share/emacs/23.X.Y/lisp/org/ directory after
each re-install.

But:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LoadPath states:

    The variable load-path lists all the directories where Emacs should
    look for elisp files. They are searched in order. The first file
    found is used, therefore the order of the directories might be
    relevant.

This should use the GIT version (assumed it's in ~/.emacs.d/lisp/org):

  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/lisp/org/")

  Sebastian

* Re: Choosing local org package instead of sitewide
@ 2009-07-08 19:31 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-08 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kyle Sexton <ks@mocker.org> writes:
> I would like to run a local copy of org pulled from the latest git instead
> of the sitewide version installed with emacs.  How can I specify that emacs
> should use the copy in my ~/elisp/org directory instead of the sitewide
> version?
>
> Probably a simple question, but deleting the sitewide org directory doesn't
> seem like the right solution. :P

Important:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LoadPath also says this here:

    Preference is given to compiled files when both a compiled file and
    a source file are found. Therefore, make sure to recompile files
    after making changes to them – or don’t compile the files at all.

  Sebastian