* Custom time display in mode-line
@ 2010-01-17 10:50 Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2010-01-17 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

  org-clock-modeline-total now accepts following values: current, today, repeat, all, auto.
  It would be useful to allow it to accept either a custom function or a format string which composes a text string like:
"0:10 (tot: 1:10/2:00)"
  meaning: „clocking 10 minutes in this session, but the total clocked time (including those 10min) is 1:10, and the effort estimate is 2:00“.

  Not all entries have a „total clocked time“ (: entries clocked for the first time) and not all entries have an estimate.
- Either many format strings must be given (_simple, _with_total, _with_estimate, _with_total_and_estimate), e.g. ("%current" "%current (tot: %total)" "%current/%estimate" "%current (tot:%total/%estimate)")
- … or we must cope with results like "0:10 (tot: /)"
- … or a custom function must be used to do those conditionals.

  Accepting a function would be like redefining org-clock-get-clock-string but without touching org's core.

  I tried to change the code but I'm confused as to why org-clock-modeline-total (a mere visualization/„view“ setting) is read in org-clock-get-sum-start (which is a „model“/core function and therefore not tied to any particular „view“). I think org-clock-modeline-total should be read just in org-clock-get-clock-string.
  Documentation of org-clock-get-clocked-time is also wrong („The time returned includes the time spent on this task in previous clocking intervals.“) since this depends on what org-clock-get-sum-start did.

--
Daniel