* [new exporter][latex] does org-preview-latex-fragment use #+latex_header ?
@ 2013-02-24 17:00 Myles English
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Myles English @ 2013-02-24 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I have just pulled from git and have been migrating to use the new
exporter.

I have a problem where org-preview-latex-fragment appears not to use a
style file the latex header.

Starting emacs like this:

emacs -Q -l ~/minimal.el ~/file.org

When I export the whole buffer to pdf it looks right.

When I call org-preview-latex-fragment on the fragment the definitions
in a.sty are not picked up.  This previously worked when using the
new exporter before it was merged.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Myles

---------------------------------- ~/bug.sty --------------
\newcommand{\mysymbol}{\mathbf v}

---------------------------------- minimal.el ------------
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/plugins/org-mode/lisp")
(require 'ox)

---------------------------------- file.org ---------------
#+STARTUP: indent
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{~/bug}

* heading

\[ \mysymbol = f \]    -- NO WORK

\[ 0 = f \]            -- WORKS

* Re: [new exporter][latex] does org-preview-latex-fragment use #+latex_header ?
@ 2013-02-24 18:04 ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2013-02-24 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Just adding some more information.  It gets curiouser and curiouser...

Myles English writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have just pulled from git and have been migrating to use the new
> exporter.
>
> I have a problem where org-preview-latex-fragment appears not to use a
> style file the latex header.
>
> Starting emacs like this:
>
> emacs -Q -l ~/minimal.el ~/file.org
>
> When I export the whole buffer to pdf it looks right.
>
> When I call org-preview-latex-fragment on the fragment the definitions
> in a.sty are not picked up.  This previously worked when using the
> new exporter before it was merged.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
> Myles
>

> ---------------------------------- ~/bug.sty --------------
> \newcommand{\mysymbol}{\mathbf v}
>
> ---------------------------------- minimal.el ------------
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/plugins/org-mode/lisp")
> (require 'ox)
>
> ---------------------------------- file.org ---------------
> #+STARTUP: indent
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{~/bug}
>
> * heading
>
> \[ \mysymbol = f \]    -- NO WORK
>
> \[ 0 = f \]            -- WORKS

\[ \dfrac{\partial a}{\partial b} \]  -- The fragment is perfect,
showing it as da/db but the pdf file shows it as dadb instead.

Another strange thing is that if the \[\] is the last thing in the file
apart from some empty lines then org will fold at the end of it i.e. I
see \[\]...

Myles

* Re: [new exporter][latex] does org-preview-latex-fragment use #+latex_header ?
@ 2013-02-25 23:07 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-25 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a problem where org-preview-latex-fragment appears not to use a
> style file the latex header.
>
> Starting emacs like this:
>
> emacs -Q -l ~/minimal.el ~/file.org
>
> When I export the whole buffer to pdf it looks right.
>
> When I call org-preview-latex-fragment on the fragment the definitions
> in a.sty are not picked up.  This previously worked when using the
> new exporter before it was merged.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
> Myles
>

> ---------------------------------- ~/bug.sty --------------
> \newcommand{\mysymbol}{\mathbf v}
>
> ---------------------------------- minimal.el ------------
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/plugins/org-mode/lisp")
> (require 'ox)
>
> ---------------------------------- file.org ---------------
>
> #+STARTUP: indent
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{~/bug}
>

> * heading
>
> \[ \mysymbol = f \]    -- NO WORK
>
> \[ 0 = f \]            -- WORKS

I removed this functionality when clearing out old exporter from org.el.
It should be back in master.

Thank you for your report.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [new exporter][latex] does org-preview-latex-fragment use #+latex_header ?
@ 2013-02-26  0:26   ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2013-02-26  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

>> I have a problem where org-preview-latex-fragment appears not to use a
>> style file the latex header.
>>
>> Starting emacs like this:
>>
>> emacs -Q -l ~/minimal.el ~/file.org
>>
>> When I export the whole buffer to pdf it looks right.
>>
>> When I call org-preview-latex-fragment on the fragment the definitions
>> in a.sty are not picked up.  This previously worked when using the
>> new exporter before it was merged.
>> ---------------------------------- ~/bug.sty --------------
>> \newcommand{\mysymbol}{\mathbf v}
>>
>> ---------------------------------- minimal.el ------------
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/plugins/org-mode/lisp")
>> (require 'ox)
>>
>> ---------------------------------- file.org ---------------
>>
>> #+STARTUP: indent
>> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{~/bug}
>>

>> * heading
>>
>> \[ \mysymbol = f \]    -- NO WORK
>>
>> \[ 0 = f \]            -- WORKS

> I removed this functionality when clearing out old exporter from org.el.
> It should be back in master.

Thanks for looking at this, I tried just now and can't see any change in
what I reported above.

Myles

* Re: [new exporter][latex] does org-preview-latex-fragment use #+latex_header ?
@ 2013-02-26  8:04     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-26  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for looking at this, I tried just now and can't see any change in
> what I reported above.

Since the patch, \[ \mysymbol = f \] is correctly displayed after C-c
C-x C-l here (I just changed "~/bug" with "bug" as bug.sty is not
located in my home directory).

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [new exporter][latex] does org-preview-latex-fragment use #+latex_header ?
@ 2013-02-26 12:41       ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2013-02-26 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Thanks for looking at this, I tried just now and can't see any change in
>> what I reported above.
>
> Since the patch, \[ \mysymbol = f \] is correctly displayed after C-c
> C-x C-l here (I just changed "~/bug" with "bug" as bug.sty is not
> located in my home directory).

I still can't get it to work.  I have just updated doing 'make clean,
git pull, make all', the only messages that looked odd were these:

#---------------------
Making generated-autoload-file local to  *autoload-file* while
let-bound!

In org-make-checklist-export:
org-checklist.el:122:14:Warning: print called with 0 arguments, but requires
    1-2
org-checklist.el:126:54:Warning: reference to free variable `a2ps-switches'

In org-checklist:
org-checklist.el:132:17:Warning: reference to free variable `org-state'

In end of data:
org-checklist.el:141:1:Warning: the function `a2ps-buffer' is not known
to be
#---------------------

Then I started emacs as before:

emacs -Q -l minimal.el bug.org

M-x locate-library org RET finds the correct library from git:

Library is file ~/.emacs.d/plugins/org-mode/lisp/org.elc

Any ideas?
Can anyone else verify that this works or not?

Myles

* Re: [new exporter][latex] does org-preview-latex-fragment use #+latex_header ?
@ 2013-02-26 14:03 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-26 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hi Myles,

Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:

> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{~/bug}

you want

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{/full/path/bug}

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [new exporter][latex] does org-preview-latex-fragment use #+latex_header ?
@ 2013-02-26 14:21   ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2013-02-26 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:

> Hi Myles,
>
> Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{~/bug}
>
> you want
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{/full/path/bug}

I do use the full path but cut it down for the example, which was
incorrect, because it should have had a full path, so thanks for
pointing that out.

These fragments still don't work for me though.  Do they work for anyone
else apart from Nicolas?  I have done make clean and build, started with
emacs -Q, checked that the correct org library is found, I don't know
what else to try.

Myles

* Re: [new exporter][latex] does org-preview-latex-fragment use #+latex_header ?
@ 2013-02-26 14:54     ` Evan Misshula
From: Evan Misshula @ 2013-02-26 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: Bastien, Emacs-orgmode

Hi Myles,

I followed the directions.  I created bug.sty and minimal.el in the
same directory and it worked for me.

My ox.elc was in /home/evan/Documents/org/elisp/org-mode.
My bug.sty was in /home/evan/Documents/org/exporter
My minimal.el was in /home/evan/Documents/org/exporter
My bug.org was in /home/evan/Documents/org/exporter

I hope this helps.

Best,
Evan

--
Evan Misshula
Doctoral Student (Criminal Justice)

"Instruction does much, but encouragement does everything." Johann
Wolfgang Von Goethe
www.snrg-nyc.org

* Re: [new exporter][latex] does org-preview-latex-fragment use #+latex_header ?
@ 2013-02-26 15:16       ` Evan Misshula
From: Evan Misshula @ 2013-02-26 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: Bastien, Emacs-orgmode

If it would be helpful I can send a screen shot to anyone who wants one offlist.

Best,
Evan

--

@ 2013-02-26 15:33       ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2013-02-26 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan Misshula; +Cc: Bastien, Emacs-orgmode

Hi Evan,

Evan Misshula writes:

> I followed the directions.  I created bug.sty and minimal.el in the
> same directory and it worked for me.
>
> My ox.elc was in /home/evan/Documents/org/elisp/org-mode.
> My bug.sty was in /home/evan/Documents/org/exporter
> My minimal.el was in /home/evan/Documents/org/exporter
> My bug.org was in /home/evan/Documents/org/exporter

Thanks for checking it.  I found the problem but it is too embarrassing
to post here.

And thank you again to Nicolas for fixing it.

Myles