* Pandoc users, how do you use it with org-mode, and why?
@ 2014-05-21 18:01 Grant Rettke
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-05-21 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Lately been hearing great things about Pandoc's ability to export to ebook
formats and more.

Folks that use both Pandoc and org-mode: how do you use them together, and
why?

Kind regards,

Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM, Sigma Xi
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

* Re: Pandoc users, how do you use it with org-mode, and why?
@ 2014-05-21 18:33 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-05-21 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wednesday, 21 May 2014 at 13:01, Grant Rettke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lately been hearing great things about Pandoc's ability to export to ebook
> formats and more.
>
> Folks that use both Pandoc and org-mode: how do you use them together, and
> why?

I've only recently started using pandoc and I have exactly one use case:
the need, in some cases, to produce a .docx document with
mathematics.  Pandoc will convert LaTeX to docx and handles equations
reasonably well (not perfect but better than any other alternative I
have found to date).  The LaTeX generated by org is usually perfectly
fine.

For >98% of my needs, org + included exporters + babel is more than
enough, mind you.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.2, Org release_8.2.6-966-g6cdf1b

* Re: Pandoc users, how do you use it with org-mode, and why?
@ 2014-05-21 18:49   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2014-05-21 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Lately been hearing great things about Pandoc's ability to export to ebook
>> formats and more.
>>
>> Folks that use both Pandoc and org-mode: how do you use them together, and
>> why?
>
> I've only recently started using pandoc and I have exactly one use case:
> the need, in some cases, to produce a .docx document with
> mathematics.  Pandoc will convert LaTeX to docx and handles equations
> reasonably well (not perfect but better than any other alternative I
> have found to date).  The LaTeX generated by org is usually perfectly
> fine.

Pandoc to docx/odt conversion handles bibtex/biblatex citations, which built-in org to odt/docx conversion does not.

Vikas

* Re: Pandoc users, how do you use it with org-mode, and why?
@ 2014-05-21 18:51     ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-05-21 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

> Pandoc to docx/odt conversion handles bibtex/biblatex citations, which
> built-in org to odt/docx conversion does not.

+1

it works reasonably well for latex->(odt)->doc, even with biblatex.

* Re: Pandoc users, how do you use it with org-mode, and why?
@ 2014-05-21 22:24 ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2014-05-21 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm using org-mode for a lengthy book. My editor has graciously agreed
to edit the raw ord-mode files, thus eliminating yet another source of
re-introduced errors.

However, the publisher asks her to format in Word, so after all the
editing is done, I need to convert to Word. Pandoc seems a good choice:

org -> latex -> docx: the first step normal org export, the second step
Pandoc.

It is good EXCEPT my book contains many, many cross references. In docx
they come out looking like:

"see [sec-3-4-2]" when I want them to look like "see 3.4.2".

I'm still on a steep part of the learning curve, so don't know if Pandoc
can be tweaked to fix this. I have also tried oolatex which is a part of
the tex4ht suite. It does the right thing on cross references, but has
some other minor problems.

I have also used Pandoc to convert a friends Markdown to ePub. Slick and
nice.

Cheers,
Alan

On 22/05/14 04:01, Grant Rettke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lately been hearing great things about Pandoc's ability to export to
> ebook formats and more.
>
> Folks that use both Pandoc and org-mode: how do you use them together,
> and why?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM, Sigma Xi
> gcr@wisdomandwonder.com <mailto:gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> |
> http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
> “Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
> ((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
> “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
> taking it seriously.” --Thompson

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:typhoon@iptel.org

* Re: Pandoc users, how do you use it with org-mode, and why?
@ 2014-05-22  7:39 ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2014-05-22  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hey,

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:
> Lately been hearing great things about Pandoc's ability to export to ebook
> formats and more.
>
> Folks that use both Pandoc and org-mode: how do you use them together, and
> why?

My personal use-case here is blogging: Nowadays, I'm writing my blog
posts in Org and build the page using Hakyll[1], which is build on top
of Pandoc.  The work-flow is not perfect, in that metadata has to be
specified separately as Hakyll ignores metadata returned by Pandoc, but
it's good enough for what I want.  I tried hacking something together
using org's publishing features, but I found Hakyll/Pandoc to be more
convenient and easier to use.

Other uses include import of Markdown/HTML into Org documents and the
use of Pandoc's support for references and citations; I rarely do that,
though.

Cheers,
Albert

[1] http://jaspervdj.be/hakyll/

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: Pandoc users, how do you use it with org-mode, and why?
@ 2014-05-22  8:44   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-05-22  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 22 May 2014 at 08:24, Alan L Tyree wrote:

[...]

> It is good EXCEPT my book contains many, many cross references. In
> docx they come out looking like:
>
> "see [sec-3-4-2]" when I want them to look like "see 3.4.2".

I have a few of these, few enough that post-processing by hand is
reasonable.  However, if you do find a solution to this, I would be very
happy to hear of it!

Thanks,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.2, Org release_8.2.6-949-g751506

* Re: Pandoc users, how do you use it with org-mode, and why?
@ 2014-05-22 19:35     ` Alan Tyree
From: Alan Tyree @ 2014-05-22 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree, emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,
My "solution" was a keyboard macro at the LaTeX stage, replacing

\ref{sec-3-2-1} with 3.2.1 in the text.

Not very elegant, but it works for the time being when I don't have the
time to consider anything better.

A filter would obviously be better, but my elisp skills mean that it would
take more time than I have right now.

Also not a good solution since it trashes the LaTeX file. In my case,
that's OK since the LaTeX file is just a means to an end.

Cheers,
Alan

http://austlii.edu.au/~alan<http://www2.austlii.edu.au/~alan>

@ 2014-05-22 20:31   ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2014-05-22 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 05/21/2014 02:33 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 May 2014 at 13:01, Grant Rettke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Lately been hearing great things about Pandoc's ability to export to ebook
>> formats and more.
>>
>> Folks that use both Pandoc and org-mode: how do you use them together, and
>> why?
>
> I've only recently started using pandoc and I have exactly one use case:
> the need, in some cases, to produce a .docx document with
> mathematics.  Pandoc will convert LaTeX to docx and handles equations
> reasonably well (not perfect but better than any other alternative I
> have found to date).  The LaTeX generated by org is usually perfectly
> fine.

I've been playing around with Pandoc, and I've found that its ability to
convert LaTeX to docx is rather limited. While it will convert equations
and mathematical expressions reasonably well, it is not able to convert
arrays that use things such as \hline or other formatting commands. This
isn't surprising to me, but it means that arrays with special formatting
need to be altered before using Pandoc.

Scott Randby