* org-crypt doesn't automatically encrypt on save
@ 2014-09-11 19:44 Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2014-09-11 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello org-mode World,

is anyone successfully using org-crypt with
org-crypt-use-before-save-magic ?

I set it up as per the docs, but apparently the org-mode
before-save-hook is not populated with org-encrypt-entries as it should
when I open an org buffer, meaning that crypt tagged headlines are not
encrypted when I save the file

*but* it works if I manually call M-x org-mode after opening the file...

In summary:

C-x C-f test.org / M-x org-decrypt-entry / C-x C-s does not reencrypt
the entry

C-x C-f test.org / M-x org-mode / M-x org-decrypt-entry / C-x C-s does
work as expected.

Any idea ?

I'm using the Emacs Starter Kit, so that might interfere, but I can't
see how and where...

Rémi

* Re: org-crypt doesn't automatically encrypt on save
@ 2014-09-11 23:03 ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2014-09-11 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rémi Letot; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You need to load org-crypt and call org-crypt-use-before-save-magic
before you open the org file.

For instance, my configuration for org-crypt is
(autoload 'org-decrypt-entry "org-crypt.el" "Decrypt the content of the current headline." t)
(autoload 'org-decrypt-entries "org-crypt.el" "Decrypt all entries in the current buffer." t)
(autoload 'org-encrypt-entry "org-crypt.el" "Encrypt the content of the current headline." t)
(autoload 'org-encrypt-entries "org-crypt.el" "Encrypt all top-level entries in the current buffer." t)

(with-eval-after-load "org-crypt"
  ;; Automatically encrypts everything that has the tag "crypt"
  ;; when you save the file
  (org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)
  (setq org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance (quote ("crypt" "Project")))
  (setq org-crypt-key "8NUMBERS")
  (setq org-crypt-disable-auto-save t)
  )

Only this gives the same problem you have. When I decrypt an entry
org-crypt is finally loaded but since I'm already visiting the file then
the save magic will not kick in. In my case I only have one file where I
use org-crypt and I define the function below

(defun my-find-senhas-org-heading nil
  (interactive)
  (require 'org-crypt)
  (find-file "~/org/passwords.org")
  )

If I often used org-crypt in any org file I would always require
org-crypt and call org-crypt-use-before-save-magic in my Emacs
configuration, but since I only use for this particular file, then
defining a function to visit this file works better for me.

--
Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
darcamo@gmail.com

* Re: org-crypt doesn't automatically encrypt on save
@ 2014-09-12 10:42   ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2014-09-12 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo@gmail.com> writes:

> You need to load org-crypt and call org-crypt-use-before-save-magic
> before you open the org file.

I have this in my config:

  (add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-crypt)
  (require 'org-crypt)

So I think that's what is done. I also checked org-mode-hook on a fresh
start of emacs, and it does include a stanza for
org-encrypt-entries. C-h v org-mode-hook begins with this:

-----
Value: (#[nil "\300\301\302\303\304$\207"
       [org-add-hook before-save-hook org-encrypt-entries nil t]
       5]
-----

So I think that part is ok.

Now I visit a new file, say test.org, which doesn't exist yet. I create
one heading with a bit of content, tag it as :crypt:, and save the
file. Bam, it's not encrypted.

Now I call M-x org-encrypt-entries, and the heading is encrypted. So
org-crypt does work, I can decrypt and encrypt headings manually, but it
won't do it automatically. And indeed, before-save-hook is nil in a
fresh org file and stays so when I visit an org file.

Now I call M-x org-mode on that file, add a space so it is modified and
I can save it, call C-x C-s, and it is encrypted as it should. org-mode
set before-save-hook to (org-encrypt-entries t) as it should. Only I
have to manually call org-mode once the file is open, it won't do it
automatically.

I C-x k the file, re-visit it, and I have to call M-x org-mode on it
again before it will automatically encrypt the headings. All other
org-mode functionnality seems to work fine.

Any idea ?

@ 2014-09-12 14:23     ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2014-09-12 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rémi Letot; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

One note first, if you change org-modules manually like that you must
make sure this change is done before org-mode is loaded. I prefer to use
the customize interface just for org-modules for that reason.

I also add org-crypt to org-modules like you do. If I open my
password.org file and open it directly I will have the same behaviour
you get. Maybe the save magic does not work reliable when org-crypt is
loaded through org-modules, I'm not sure.

When I call my function that requires org-crypt and calls
org-crypt-use-before-save-magic before opening my password file
everything works. But I only do it like this because I have a single
file with encrypted entries and I prefer to delay loading org-crypt
initialization. I profiled my configuration some time ago and decided to
do that to reduce i little bit the initialization time.

Since you already require org-crypt, just add
"(org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)" after the require and see if that
solves your problem.

@ 2014-09-12 14:42   ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-09-12 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Darlan Cavalcante Moreira writes:

> In my case I only have one file where I use org-crypt and I
> define the function below
>
> --8<---------------cut
> here---------------start------------->8--- (defun
> my-find-senhas-org-heading nil
>   (interactive) (require 'org-crypt) (find-file
>   "~/org/passwords.org") )
> --8<---------------cut
> here---------------end--------------->8---

If you only use one file for your passwords and want it encrypted
(that you should), you can also check org-passwords.el that is
included in the contrib directory.

Best,

--
Jorge.

* org-mode-hook not called when entering org files (Was: Re: org-crypt doesn't automatically encrypt on save)
@ 2014-09-12 16:44       ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2014-09-12 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

look near the end of the post for org-mode-hook specific explanation :-)

Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo@gmail.com> writes:

> One note first, if you change org-modules manually like that you must
> make sure this change is done before org-mode is loaded. I prefer to use
> the customize interface just for org-modules for that reason.

Hmmm, the starter kit requires org in the very first step of
initialization, so that might be the problem... I dug a bit in the doc
and tried org-reload, which doesn't solve my problem...

> I also add org-crypt to org-modules like you do. If I open my
> password.org file and open it directly I will have the same behaviour
> you get. Maybe the save magic does not work reliable when org-crypt is
> loaded through org-modules, I'm not sure.

I didn't know what org-modules did, so I had a look at the source (great
first for me :-) Apparently it just requires the listed extensions, so
requiring org-crypt does the same.

> When I call my function that requires org-crypt and calls
> org-crypt-use-before-save-magic before opening my password file
> everything works. But I only do it like this because I have a single
> file with encrypted entries and I prefer to delay loading org-crypt
> initialization. I profiled my configuration some time ago and decided to
> do that to reduce i little bit the initialization time.
>

> Since you already require org-crypt, just add
> "(org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)" after the require and see if that
> solves your problem.

It's already just under the require :-)

Here is my complete org-crypt config:

  (add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-crypt)
  (require 'org-crypt)
  ; Encrypt all entries before saving
  (org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)
  (setq org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance (quote ("crypt")))
  ; GPG key to use for encryption
  (setq org-crypt-key "730D80837333AD60")

org-crypt-use-before-save-magic just populates org-mode-hook with a
before-save-hook, which is correctly done in my case. The trick is that
org-mode-hook doesn't seem to fire when I open an org file...

confirmed: I had a look at the other variables that it should change,
and they do not appear to be modified when I open an org file.

all org seems to work fine, but for some reason org-mode-hook is not
called when I open an org file...

Changing the title as I have a more precise problem :-)

Rémi

* Re: org-mode-hook not called when entering org files
@ 2014-09-12 18:15         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-09-12 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:

> org-crypt-use-before-save-magic just populates org-mode-hook with a
> before-save-hook, which is correctly done in my case. The trick is that
> org-mode-hook doesn't seem to fire when I open an org file...
>
> confirmed: I had a look at the other variables that it should change,
> and they do not appear to be modified when I open an org file.
>
> all org seems to work fine, but for some reason org-mode-hook is not
> called when I open an org file...

That's very unlikely: the hook is run using a general emacs mechanism,
so if it were broken, a *lot* of things would be broken.

You can check with

(setq org-mode-hook nil)
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook (function (lambda () (message "RL - my org-mode-hook ran this"))))

perhaps in a minimal .emacs, and then opening a foo.org file (assuming
your auto-mode-alist is set up correctly).

I'd be really surprised if this does not work as expected. And if it
does, your problem is probably a bit deeper than "emacs does not run
the org-mode-hook": perhaps cleaning out your org-mode-hook, restarting
emacs and then adding things back in one at a time would help to figure
out the problem.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: org-mode-hook not called when entering org files
@ 2014-09-13 19:24           ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2014-09-13 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:
>
>> all org seems to work fine, but for some reason org-mode-hook is not
>> called when I open an org file...
>>

> That's very unlikely: the hook is run using a general emacs mechanism,
> so if it were broken, a *lot* of things would be broken.
>
> You can check with
>
> (setq org-mode-hook nil)
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook (function (lambda () (message "RL - my
> org-mode-hook ran this"))))

emacs -Q, copied your instructions in scratch buffer and C-x C-e them
both, then opened my test.org file, and nothing happened.

Tried in another emacs -Q to set up a basic org-crypt using scratch:

(require 'org-crypt)
(org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)

C-x C-e on both, then opened a test.org. org-mode-hook is as it should,
but before-save-hook is nil.

Now I noticed a message that I have received for some times when I open
an org file:

File mode specification error: (error "`recenter'ing a window that does
not display current-buffer.")

I didn't notice it before since it has happened for quite some times and
didn't appear to cause any problem, but could it be the cause of this
problem ?

> perhaps in a minimal .emacs, and then opening a foo.org file (assuming
> your auto-mode-alist is set up correctly).

auto-mode-alist does include org-mode for org files.

Any idea ? is the error message that I receive a possible cause ?

@ 2014-09-15 21:33             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-09-15 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:

> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:
>>
>>> all org seems to work fine, but for some reason org-mode-hook is not
>>> called when I open an org file...
>>>

>> That's very unlikely: the hook is run using a general emacs mechanism,
>> so if it were broken, a *lot* of things would be broken.
>>
>> You can check with
>>
>> (setq org-mode-hook nil)
>> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook (function (lambda () (message "RL - my
>> org-mode-hook ran this"))))
>
> emacs -Q, copied your instructions in scratch buffer and C-x C-e them
> both, then opened my test.org file, and nothing happened.

Not sure where you get your org-mode, but unless you are using the
org-mode that was bundled with your emacs, this may not be enough:
you might have to do some org-mode initialization (hence the suggestion
for a minimal .emacs file below).

> Tried in another emacs -Q to set up a basic org-crypt using scratch:
>
> (require 'org-crypt)
> (org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)
>
> C-x C-e on both, then opened a test.org. org-mode-hook is as it should,
> but before-save-hook is nil.

My advice would be to leave org-crypt to one side until you can get the
simpler test above to pass.

> Now I noticed a message that I have received for some times when I open
> an org file:
>
> File mode specification error: (error "`recenter'ing a window that does
> not display current-buffer.")
>
> I didn't notice it before since it has happened for quite some times and
> didn't appear to cause any problem, but could it be the cause of this
> problem ?
>

>> perhaps in a minimal .emacs, and then opening a foo.org file (assuming
>> your auto-mode-alist is set up correctly).
>
> auto-mode-alist does include org-mode for org files.
>
> Any idea ? is the error message that I receive a possible cause ?

Yes, it might: Eric Fraga reported a problem where an error that's
caught causes buffer initialization to not run the hook:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/90711

That *might* happen with your error too, although I cannot find the error
message either in current org-mode or current-emacs. Maybe I'm looking
in the wrong place, but which version of org-mode and which version of
emacs are you running?

--
Nick

* Re: org-mode-hook not called when entering org files
@ 2014-09-15 21:45             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-09-15 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:

> File mode specification error: (error "`recenter'ing a window that does
> not display current-buffer.")
>
> I didn't notice it before since it has happened for quite some times and
> didn't appear to cause any problem, but could it be the cause of this
> problem ?
>

>> perhaps in a minimal .emacs, and then opening a foo.org file (assuming
>> your auto-mode-alist is set up correctly).
>
> auto-mode-alist does include org-mode for org files.
>
> Any idea ? is the error message that I receive a possible cause ?

One more thing: see

Earlier today, Bastien said that that is on his radar: it might fix
your problem when it lands.

--
Nick

* Re: org-mode-hook not called when entering org files
@ 2014-09-16  8:27               ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2014-09-16  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:
>
>> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

>>> That's very unlikely: the hook is run using a general emacs mechanism,
>>> so if it were broken, a *lot* of things would be broken.
>>>
>>> You can check with
>>>
>>> (setq org-mode-hook nil)
>>> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook (function (lambda () (message "RL - my
>>> org-mode-hook ran this"))))
>>
>> emacs -Q, copied your instructions in scratch buffer and C-x C-e them
>> both, then opened my test.org file, and nothing happened.
>>

> Not sure where you get your org-mode, but unless you are using the
> org-mode that was bundled with your emacs, this may not be enough:
> you might have to do some org-mode initialization (hence the suggestion
> for a minimal .emacs file below).

That's the org-mode bundled with my emacs:
Org-mode version 8.2.6 (release_8.2.6-1 @ /usr/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/org/)
GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2) of 2014-08-23 on gkar, modified by Debian

it seems that emacs -Q is enough to get org-mode working since opening
an org file does trigger the error below :-)

> My advice would be to leave org-crypt to one side until you can get the
> simpler test above to pass.

ok

>> Now I noticed a message that I have received for some times when I open
>> an org file:
>>
>> File mode specification error: (error "`recenter'ing a window that does
>> not display current-buffer.")
>>
>> I didn't notice it before since it has happened for quite some times and
>> didn't appear to cause any problem, but could it be the cause of this
>> problem ?
>>

>>> perhaps in a minimal .emacs, and then opening a foo.org file (assuming
>>> your auto-mode-alist is set up correctly).
>>
>> auto-mode-alist does include org-mode for org files.
>>
>> Any idea ? is the error message that I receive a possible cause ?
>>

> Yes, it might: Eric Fraga reported a problem where an error that's
> caught causes buffer initialization to not run the hook:
>
>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/90711
>
> That *might* happen with your error too, although I cannot find the error
> message either in current org-mode or current-emacs. Maybe I'm looking
> in the wrong place, but which version of org-mode and which version of
> emacs are you running?

See above, that's org currently bundled with emacs. I could be coerced
to try trunk if it has a chance to solve the problem and the test is
of some use to you, but then i have some docs to read first :-)

@ 2014-09-16 14:27                 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-09-16 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hobbes@poukram.net (Rémi Letot) writes:

> That's the org-mode bundled with my emacs:
> Org-mode version 8.2.6 (release_8.2.6-1 @ /usr/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/org/)
> GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2) of 2014-08-23 on gkar, modified by Debian

> See above, that's org currently bundled with emacs. I could be coerced
> to try trunk if it has a chance to solve the problem and the test is
> of some use to you, but then i have some docs to read first :-)

OK, it's probably caused by

then. It's your choice what you want to do: you can wait until it's
fixed in emacs, or you can upgrade. The test is of no use to me: my
org-mode is working :-)

--
Nick