From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
To: Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Bug: [8.2.10 (8.2.10-1-g8b63dc-elpa @ /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141027/)]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:57:03 +0000	[thread overview]

>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

>> Thinking that the problem  was in corruption in my git download, I
>> downloaded a fresh git setup, but the problem still remains. So
>> I've installed org-mode from ELPA, but the problem still remains. I
>> am still unable to send emails through gnus, and the error report is
>> still occurring in many places whilst in daily usage.

> There are a few problems with your bug report[fn:1].

> First, you don't describe the problem or the error at all (maybe you did
> in some earlier post, but please don't assume that anybody is going to
> one, have no idea what problem and error report you are talking about,
> partially because I'm not keeping up with the mailing list, partially
> because I'm getting old and decrepit and my memory ain't what it used to
> be.

> But in addition, why do you think this is an org-mode problem? Surely, gnus is
> the more likely culprit, no?

> Nick

> Footnotes:

> [fn:1] The orgmode site has some pointers to useful guides: Simon
> Tatham's "How to Send Bug Reports Effectively" and Eric Raymond's
> and Rick Moen's "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way". The former
> is in the "How to contribute to Org" page; the latter is on the
> front page.

Thanks Nick for your reply. This ties in with my bug report of
(release_8.2.10-1-g8b63dc @ /home/boudiccas/git/org-mode/lisp/)]
which showed the back-trace of the problem. That back-trace is still
valid for this new bug report, as the problem still remains.

It is not a gnus-problem alone as I also get the error report when
opening some org-mode pages.

"For the last couple of days I have been unable to send any emails through
gnus, or any followups to a newsgroup, because the buffer which should contain
the headers of the message and my signature have been completely blank and
empty, with just "Wrong type argument: stringp, 1" showing in the mini-buffer.
On several of my org-mode files, when opening them I get this error message
showing in the mini-buffer - "org-columns-compile-format: Wrong type argument:
stringp, 1"."

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp 1)
  string-match("%\\([0-9]+\\)?\\([[:alnum:]_-]+\\)\\(?:(\\([^)]+\\))\\)?\\(?:{\\([^}]+\\)}\\)?\\s-*" 1 0)
  org-columns-compile-format(1)
  org-columns-get-format(1)
  org-columns(1)
  (lambda nil (org-columns 1))()
  run-hooks(change-major-mode-after-body-hook text-mode-hook outline-mode-hook org-mode-hook)
  apply(run-hooks (change-major-mode-after-body-hook text-mode-hook outline-mode-hook org-mode-hook))
  run-mode-hooks(org-mode-hook)
  org-mode()
  set-auto-mode-0(org-mode nil)
  #[0 "\302\242\237\211\205.