* org-drill futures
@ 2019-03-16 14:31 Phillip Lord
       [not found] ` <WM!e2dda79f98b3905819d845394cd0057dd51e6bcd9c6e5b8d74f505b8ace51a0599b05780fb519bfc33cf9aea7a758159!@mailhub-mx5.ncl.ac.uk>
From: Phillip Lord @ 2019-03-16 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been using org-drill a lot recently. I've already added one feature
that I consider vital for this kind of thing (answering by typing!) and
would like to add another (some form of Leitner box learning).

But, it seems sensible to fix the maintainership first. Are any of the
forks out there active at the moment? If not, I'd be willing to take
over the maintainership for a while. Is anyone else interested? Does
anyone object?

Phil

* Re: org-drill futures
@ 2019-03-17  5:59 ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2019-03-17  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

> I've been using org-drill a lot recently. I've already added one feature
> that I consider vital for this kind of thing (answering by typing!) and
> would like to add another (some form of Leitner box learning).
>
> But, it seems sensible to fix the maintainership first. Are any of the
> forks out there active at the moment? If not, I'd be willing to take
> over the maintainership for a while. Is anyone else interested? Does
> anyone object?
>
> Phil

About the maintainship, I don't know. But I like your idea. Hope can get it. You
might want to ask org-drill author, I remember I used to send email to him. But
got respond late. And you can publish the PATCH here.

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning what I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3

* Re: org-drill futures
@ 2019-06-02 15:48   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2019-06-02 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've launched an fork of org-drill. I have tried to reach Paul Sexton,
the original author, and had some feedback (he was happy for my take
over), but not managed to get the repository moved.

https://gitlab.com/phillord/org-drill/

I'd like to have this be the version that ends up in contrib. Can anyone
tell me how to achieve this?

Phil

phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:

> I've been using org-drill a lot recently. I've already added one feature
> that I consider vital for this kind of thing (answering by typing!) and
> would like to add another (some form of Leitner box learning).
>
> But, it seems sensible to fix the maintainership first. Are any of the
> forks out there active at the moment? If not, I'd be willing to take
> over the maintainership for a while. Is anyone else interested? Does
> anyone object?
>
> Phil

* Re: org-drill futures
@ 2019-06-02 17:22     ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]       ` <WM!090c4ba5a896c4ed29d157d8725771c53d7f62973be201e8f0b2cf919c5d1902b13274cd55dd445dbbd0c45b7dc291e8!@mailhub-mx4.ncl.ac.uk>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-06-02 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:

> I've launched an fork of org-drill. I have tried to reach Paul Sexton,
> the original author, and had some feedback (he was happy for my take
> over), but not managed to get the repository moved.
>
> https://gitlab.com/phillord/org-drill/
>
> I'd like to have this be the version that ends up in contrib. Can anyone
> tell me how to achieve this?

I would suggest the opposite: move it to GNU ELPA, for example, so we
can remove it from contrib.

WDYT?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-drill futures
@ 2019-06-02 17:52         ` Phillip Lord
       [not found]           ` <WM!66798c151063ae53ad069c85a3e84b4efd410c2e9f2c32c86aefebbb6d70de8de2fe83f611a9dccabfdc57667e342d33!@mailhub-mx1.ncl.ac.uk>
From: Phillip Lord @ 2019-06-02 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:
>
>> I've launched an fork of org-drill. I have tried to reach Paul Sexton,
>> the original author, and had some feedback (he was happy for my take
>> over), but not managed to get the repository moved.
>>
>> https://gitlab.com/phillord/org-drill/
>>
>> I'd like to have this be the version that ends up in contrib. Can anyone
>> tell me how to achieve this?
>
> I would suggest the opposite: move it to GNU ELPA, for example, so we
> can remove it from contrib.
>
> WDYT?

Yes, I am quite happy with that also -- it would save the effort of
syncing it. It would have to be MELPA though, because I don't think we
have papers (I can check). This does have the disadvantage of requiring
people to update their config/installed packages, but it's probably
okay.

I'd plan to incorporate org-learn into org-drill -- I suspect everyone
using org-learn is using it via org-drill, so winding it in makes sense,
so I'd need to remove both.

I'll see how MELPA are with adding my fork there; if they are happy,
once that it up and running it could be pulled from contrib.

Phil

* Re: org-drill futures
@ 2019-06-18 20:18           ` Stig Brautaset
       [not found]             ` <WM!aaeec6f285e7a8a3396a58673506c679258f3a632bfb142ae94cd64dc73eff085b6e7ec61aeb828295c13b4f544377e4!@mailhub-mx2.ncl.ac.uk>
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2019-06-18 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord, emacs-orgmode

>> phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:
>>
>>> I've launched an fork of org-drill. I have tried to reach Paul Sexton,
>>> the original author, and had some feedback (he was happy for my take
>>> over), but not managed to get the repository moved.
>>>
>>> https://gitlab.com/phillord/org-drill/

>> I would suggest the opposite: move it to GNU ELPA, for example, so we
>> can remove it from contrib.
>
> Yes, I am quite happy with that also -- it would save the effort of
> syncing it. It would have to be MELPA though, because I don't think we
> have papers (I can check). This does have the disadvantage of requiring
> people to update their config/installed packages, but it's probably
> okay.

I would love to see org-drill available in MELPA. It's the most
important package I use from contrib. Moving it to MELPA means I'm
closer to being able to live with the version of Org that ships with
Emacs, and would not have to install org-plus-contrib.

To that end I've created a branch[1] for adding your fork to MELPA.
Based on your previous messages in this thread, I assume I have your
permission to submit a PR? Or is there a good reason to wait with this
for the moment?

Stig

[1]: https://github.com/stig/melpa/compare/master...stig:org-drill

* Re: org-drill futures
@ 2019-06-19  9:08               ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2019-06-19  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stig Brautaset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Stig Brautaset <stig@brautaset.org> writes:

>>> I would suggest the opposite: move it to GNU ELPA, for example, so we
>>> can remove it from contrib.
>>
>> Yes, I am quite happy with that also -- it would save the effort of
>> syncing it. It would have to be MELPA though, because I don't think we
>> have papers (I can check). This does have the disadvantage of requiring
>> people to update their config/installed packages, but it's probably
>> okay.
>
> I would love to see org-drill available in MELPA. It's the most
> important package I use from contrib. Moving it to MELPA means I'm
> closer to being able to live with the version of Org that ships with
> Emacs, and would not have to install org-plus-contrib.
>
> To that end I've created a branch[1] for adding your fork to MELPA.
> Based on your previous messages in this thread, I assume I have your
> permission to submit a PR? Or is there a good reason to wait with this
> for the moment?

I already did this.

https://github.com/melpa/melpa/pull/6207

They may or may not want to accept this at the moment; org-drill falls
short of their coding standards, and it will take a while to fix.

On the flip side, I have automated GUI testing working now which is
helping with the refactoring. It's also rather cute and I've not seen it
done with Emacs before. Have a look if you are interested!

Phil

* Re: org-drill futures
@ 2019-06-19 10:23                 ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2019-06-19 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:
>> To that end I've created a branch[1] for adding your fork to MELPA.
>> Based on your previous messages in this thread, I assume I have your
>> permission to submit a PR? Or is there a good reason to wait with this
>> for the moment?
>
> I already did this.
>
> https://github.com/melpa/melpa/pull/6207

Ah, I'm sorry I missed it! Relieved I didn't submit a duplicate without
checking with you first though :-)

> They may or may not want to accept this at the moment; org-drill falls
> short of their coding standards, and it will take a while to fix.

I have added a comment of support to your PR, and hope that helps. I
agree that it would make sense to merge already as is useful right now,
even if it needs a bit more love to conform to current coding standards.

> On the flip side, I have automated GUI testing working now which is
> helping with the refactoring. It's also rather cute and I've not seen it
> done with Emacs before. Have a look if you are interested!

I might!

Stig

* Re: org-drill futures
@ 2019-06-29 15:43             ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2019-06-29 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:
>>
>>> I've launched an fork of org-drill. I have tried to reach Paul Sexton,
>>> the original author, and had some feedback (he was happy for my take
>>> over), but not managed to get the repository moved.
>>>
>>> https://gitlab.com/phillord/org-drill/
>>>
>>> I'd like to have this be the version that ends up in contrib. Can anyone
>>> tell me how to achieve this?
>>
>> I would suggest the opposite: move it to GNU ELPA, for example, so we
>> can remove it from contrib.
>>
>> WDYT?
>

> Yes, I am quite happy with that also -- it would save the effort of
> syncing it. It would have to be MELPA though, because I don't think we
> have papers (I can check). This does have the disadvantage of requiring
> people to update their config/installed packages, but it's probably
> okay.
>
> I'd plan to incorporate org-learn into org-drill -- I suspect everyone
> using org-learn is using it via org-drill, so winding it in makes sense,
> so I'd need to remove both.
>
> I'll see how MELPA are with adding my fork there; if they are happy,
> once that it up and running it could be pulled from contrib.

org-drill is up on MELPA now. It's been cleaned up a lot, and a few bugs
fixed. And, I have no doubt, more new ones introduced, as I have touched
about half of the lines of code.

So, I think it can come out of contrib now, and the website updated. I
have also wound in org-learn.el. How many users that on its own I do not
know, so, it's hard to know whether it needs to remain or not;
regardless, org-drill is no longer a reason for keeping it.

Cheers

Phil