* DST and appointments in other timezones
@ 2019-11-13 22:26 Leo Gaspard
From: Leo Gaspard @ 2019-11-13 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello world,

I have appointments that are scheduled on timezones other than my
computer's. Does org-mode support setting that? It looks like timestamps
don't support adding a timezone, so I'm wondering whether there's a
reasonable way to use s-expressions in timestamps for this?

Well, ideally org-mode could be adapted to support timestamps in
arbitrary timezones, but I guess there are reasons why that's not
supported?

Cheers, and huge thanks to all the devs and people who answer questions
like these!
  Leo

* Re: DST and appointments in other timezones
@ 2019-11-14 10:19 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-11-14 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Gaspard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wednesday, 13 Nov 2019 at 23:26, Leo Gaspard wrote:
> Well, ideally org-mode could be adapted to support timestamps in
> arbitrary timezones, but I guess there are reasons why that's not
> supported?

In principle, it is possible to extend org to handle time zones.  The
challenges are a) somebody stepping up to do it and b) doing it in an
upwards compatible way to avoid breaking all existing org documents.
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.6-544-gd215c3

* Re: DST and appointments in other timezones
@ 2019-11-14 17:06 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-11-14 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo Gaspard <orgmode@leo.gaspard.io> writes:

> Hello world,
>
> I have appointments that are scheduled on timezones other than my
> computer's. Does org-mode support setting that? It looks like timestamps
> don't support adding a timezone, so I'm wondering whether there's a
> reasonable way to use s-expressions in timestamps for this?
>
> Well, ideally org-mode could be adapted to support timestamps in
> arbitrary timezones, but I guess there are reasons why that's not
> supported?

It's not what you're asking for, but timezones in calendar exports, at
least, are supported. I'm planning an upcoming trip to London, so I make
a "London trip" heading in my schedule.org file, and add a TIMEZONE
property with "Europe/London" as the value. It doesn't work in the
agenda (the agenda would require quite a bit more work to support it),
but when I export to my caldav server the TZ is set properly and it
shows up right on my phone, etc.

That's something, anyway...