* emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...
@ 2020-05-21 13:27 John Kitchin
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: John Kitchin @ 2020-05-21 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Has anyone had any success in creating or using any kind of virtual machine
that can work across platforms to run emacs+org-mode?

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...
@ 2020-05-21 14:21 ` Diego Zamboni
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2020-05-21 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

I have not used any personally, but using Docker or Vagrant it
shouldn't be too hard. Quick searches on Vagrant's and Docker's public
repositories reveals there are a few emacs-based images already,
although I could not find any specific mentions to Org:

https://app.vagrantup.com/boxes/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&sort=downloads&provider=&q=emacs
https://hub.docker.com/search?q=org-mode&type=image

Do you have interactive use in mind, or for automation?

--Diego

@ 2020-05-21 14:30 ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-05-21 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Re: emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...
@ 2020-05-21 15:28 ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2020-05-21 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

On 2020-05-21, John Kitchin wrote:

> Has anyone had any success in creating or using any kind of virtual machine
> that can work across platforms to run emacs+org-mode?

I maintain Docker images, emacs-reveal includes org-ref.  It is
large, though:
https://gitlab.com/oer/emacs-reveal/container_registry

Best wishes
Jens

* Re: emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...
@ 2020-05-21 15:53   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2020-05-21 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: org-mode-email

yes it is interactive use I am most interested in. I am exploring this as a
potential option for students to use in a class. So "opening" it should
look like a regular GUI emacs. Any org-files that are created would have to
be persistent, and accessible so students could turn them in somehow. I
don't know if this is something that can be done yet.

Thanks for the links!

John

-----------------------------------

@ 2020-05-21 16:01   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2020-05-21 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin, org-mode-email

What do you do with this image? I would be happy to continue this off-list
if it seems better.

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2020-05-21 17:14     ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2020-05-21 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> yes it is interactive use I am most interested in. I am exploring this as a
> potential option for students to use in a class.
well, I don't do this for Emacs specifically, but for the compilers,
tools, etc. I need in operating system and systems programming courses.
A surprisingly huge number of students struggle with installing the
needed tools on their systems and it is always very time consuming for
us to try fix their problems (different OS, different compilers, etc.
ppp.). Since about a year I hand out pre-configured VM images that can
be imported into Virtualbox, VMWare, etc. That way we only need to
support the installation of a single product (we encourage the students
to use Virtualbox). That works out quite good. Typical problems are:
student can't figure out that their disk is full, virtualisation
extension of the hardware is disabled in firmware, student uses hardware
with not enough RAM or disk capacity. Very rarely the students own
hardware that don't allow to enable the virtualisation extension, I had
that once or twice. And there are always a few students who seem to have
strange random problems and when we ask for details the students don't
show up again.

Regards
hmw

* Re: emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-05-21 18:02 ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2020-05-21 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

You name it in the virtual world & I've done it--and of course Emacs
Org-Mode works great in ALL of them

KVM+Docker{which I posted to this group about
previously}+VMWare+Qemu+VirtualBox+etc. --I agree with other person: You
can find ready-made Docker containers running emacs--personally I didn't
find it all that interesting--too restrictive--prefer VMWare Workstation
images that I can easily make snapshots of--its great to have many
development versions and easily trash something and just pull out another
snapshot version to use instead if I don't like things {packaging or
libraries can get messed up}

As much as I hate MicroSoft Windows, it pains me to suggest this; but, I
suggest CygWin--which is a RedHat gift--you can just install your favorite
Desktop like LXDE/XWindows/whatever--and run that right along with
Micro$0ft WindBlowz--works great--right on top of it--I run Org-Mode on
that too--lots of fun, highly recommend it

All the best software is ported to ALL platforms--Emacs is in that category
of course

Alternatively you can FUSE filesystems together--so machines can become
part of the directory of the machine you're most comfortable with {that
runs your fave Org-Mode implementation}

@ 2020-05-21 21:28   ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2020-05-21 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

Oh if you're talking about students that use a combo of Mac & Windows &
Linux:

Suggest VirtualBox --its free and can be installed and ported to each

But VirtualBox is based largely on Qemu; and for students, I highly
recommend they become adept at running and using Qemu

I've booted and run many different operating system guest systems using
Qemu--even an OS written entirely in Assembler

Believe it would be loads of fun for students to load and run many
different operating systems with Qemu or distributions of Linux or any OS
on the fly

But back to our original focus: Running Emacs Org-Mode on a Virtual Machine
that is extremely portable--you can do this with Qemu--you can make your
own Linux distro with Emacs Org-mode, make an ISO, a .iso file and boot and
run it with Qemu

You can put it all on a USB key and run it on any machine--and then edit
the .iso and add software later if you like

But enough about Qemu for student education etc.

Suggest:

* Install VirtualBox {on all 2 operating systems

* Make an virtual machine {Linux or Windows--maybe Mac would be a
problem--but I just checked--you could host a VirtualBox virtual machine on
a Mac so they should be able to do that (I used to run VMWare every day on
my mac and huge Mac servers--booted and ran many virtual machines--it was
awesome)

* Install Emacs & Org-Mode on the VirtualBox virtual machine & show your
students, etc.=> reproducible research computing, at its best!

@ 2020-05-22  5:26     ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2020-05-22  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

On 2020-05-21, John Kitchin wrote:

> What do you do with this image? I would be happy to continue this off-list
> if it seems better.

I generate self-study HTML presentations with audio as OER based on
reveal.js.  See there for a course about to start in two weeks:
https://oer.gitlab.io/OS/

Material generated from this:
https://gitlab.com/oer/OS/-/blob/master/.gitlab-ci.yml

A howto: https://oer.gitlab.io/emacs-reveal-howto

Best wishes
Jens

* Re: emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...
@ 2020-05-22  8:05       ` Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2020-05-22  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin, org-mode-email

I am a user of emacs on virtual machines at work, and the environment works
pretty well. I use virtual box as the provided workstation host windows,
but the virtual machine host a linux os though. The only thing I didn't
manage to do yet, is to allow the windows host to access the guest using
SSH. I have read many articles, but none of them seems to work :(

Any suggestion for the latter topic, (off this list), is welcomed

Regards,

Roland.

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 7:27 AM Jens Lechtenboerger <

@ 2020-05-22  9:00         ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2020-05-22  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Everaert; +Cc: org-mode-email, John Kitchin

Would like to "allow the windows host to access the guest using SSH to run
Emacs Org-Mode" suggestions:

* Install Cygwin on Windows and use Cygwin's SSH tools & run X on Cygwin &
login to your Linux virtual machine desktop

** Then can use X11VNC and/or TightVNC client if you run a VNC server of
some sort on your VirtualBox virtual machine

*  Possibly you could install a NOMACHINE server {https://www.nomachine.com}
on the Linux virtual machine & a windows NOMACHINE client on your Windows
host machine & login to your Linux virtual machine desktop

https://www.nomachine.com/

@ 2020-05-22 10:13     ` Dan Pomohaci
From: Dan Pomohaci @ 2020-05-22 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I made a docker image dpom/godevem
(https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/dpom/godevem) for golang
development with emacs.
It is use by my golang course students and
it runs on any platform that has installed docker engine.

Best regards,
Dan

@ 2020-05-23 13:07           ` Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2020-05-23 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briangpowell .; +Cc: org-mode-email

Thank you for the suggestions, but my main problem is to define the network
interface correctly, and, probably, the firewall correctly.

With regard to nomachine, it seems more about accessing remote hosts than
the guest OS of a host OS. So it seems more of an overkill to me, anyway,
can still be useful at time.

@ 2020-05-23 16:03       ` Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2020-05-23 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Lechtenboerger, John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hi.

This looks quite similar to my approach to producing course material,
which is documented here : https://olberger.gitlab.io/org-teaching
including the use of Docker (see
https://gitlab.com/olberger/docker-org-teaching-export/ )

Hth,

Best regards,

--
Olivier BERGER
https://www-public.imtbs-tsp.eu/~berger_o/ - OpenPGP 2048R/0xF9EAE3A65819D7E8

* Re: emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...
@ 2020-05-24  9:03         ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2020-05-24  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Berger; +Cc: org-mode-email, John Kitchin

On 2020-05-23, Olivier Berger wrote:

> Hi.
>
> This looks quite similar to my approach to producing course material,
> which is documented here : https://olberger.gitlab.io/org-teaching
> including the use of Docker (see
> https://gitlab.com/olberger/docker-org-teaching-export/ )

Indeed, the philosophy of using the right source format is the same.
Thanks for the pointer.

What I see as differences: Emacs-reveal embeds plugins for audio and
quizzes to create what I hope to be material for asynchronous
learning (particularly useful in Corona times but preferable to
lecturing in “normal” years as well).  It supports a bibliography
slide and focuses on Free and Open Educational Resources with
simplified (in my view) treatment of license information.

Do you share your teaching material for “Web architecture and
applications (CSC4101)”?

Best wishes
Jens

* Re: emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...
@ 2020-05-24  9:33           ` Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2020-05-24  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lechten; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

On 24/05/2020 11:03, Jens Lechtenboerger wrote:
> On 2020-05-23, Olivier Berger wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> This looks quite similar to my approach to producing course material,
>> which is documented here : https://olberger.gitlab.io/org-teaching
>> including the use of Docker (see
>> https://gitlab.com/olberger/docker-org-teaching-export/ )
>
> Indeed, the philosophy of using the right source format is the same.
> Thanks for the pointer.
>
> What I see as differences: Emacs-reveal embeds plugins for audio and
> quizzes to create what I hope to be material for asynchronous
> learning (particularly useful in Corona times but preferable to
> lecturing in “normal” years as well).  It supports a bibliography
> slide and focuses on Free and Open Educational Resources with
> simplified (in my view) treatment of license information.

I'll have to investigate when time permits. Thanks for these details.

> Do you share your teaching material for “Web architecture and
> applications (CSC4101)”?

I don't advertize it outside of my classes. But you may find it online
if you're looking for "accueil du cours CSC4101" in a search engine...
and know how to read french ;)

Unfortunately some contents included/reused have a dubious copyright
status, which prevents me from publishing it in a more public way, so
I'm sticking to a class perimeter (slightly extended) now, to keep in
the safe side, and given current time/effort available.

Hope this gives you an interesting example though ;)

Best regards,

--
Olivier

* RE: emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...
@ 2020-05-24 19:40 Nick Daly
From: Nick Daly @ 2020-05-24 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

John Kitchin writes:
> Has anyone had any success in creating or using any kind of virtual
> machine that can work across platforms to run emacs+org-mode?

Yes, just this spring.  I was trying to design an experiment that
could be replicated and expanded by any citizen scientist, with
minimal effort and interference.  I didn't use docker, but instead
Propellor to produce a bootable disk image that can boot from
removable media or be launched in a VM.

https://gitlab.com/nickdaly/cs790-p1

    $ make diskimage

The disk image can be reproduced from inside the VM, if necessary,
allowing anyone to customize and extend the experiment.  Additionally,
the =.gitlab-ci= file ensures that the experiment's data are
reevaluated and the paper republished every time the experimental data
are updated:

- The paper :: https://nickdaly.gitlab.io/cs790-p1/notes.pdf

- The full set of experimental notes :: https://nickdaly.gitlab.io/cs790-p1

Thanks,