* Babel: parse error when output contains opening bracket
@ 2020-06-25 11:28 Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2020-06-25 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings.

In the org file below, the first babel block will evaluate just fine,
while the second will signal "End of file during parsing". The
difference is the opening bracket "[" in output.

I think am running the most recent stable version:
Org mode version 9.3.7 (release_9.3.7-4-gba6ca7)

Thanks for any ideas.

Jarmo

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
* This will parse just fine
  #+name: OK
  #+begin_src java :exports results :classname OK :results output
    class OK
    {
      public static void main (String[] args) { System.out.println ("foo"); }
    }
  #+end_src

  #+RESULTS: OK
  : foo

* This will generate a parse error when evaluated
  #+name: BAD
  #+begin_src java :exports results :classname BAD :results output
    class BAD
    {
      public static void main (String[] args) { System.out.println ("[foo"); }
    }
  #+end_src

* Re: Babel: parse error when output contains opening bracket
@ 2020-06-27  0:31 ` ian martins
From: ian martins @ 2020-06-27  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I've written an alternative org-java.el that doesn't have that problem. I
wanted to add it to contrib/ but haven't been able to get access. if you
want to try it I can post it somewhere.

@ 2020-06-27  5:25   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2020-06-27  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:

Hello.

> I've written an alternative org-java.el that doesn't have that
> problem. I wanted to add it to contrib/ but haven't been able to get
> access. if you want to try it I can post it somewhere.

Sounds excellent.

Would it be possible for us to fix the current version without
introducing a new one? Can you identify the parts of your code that fix
the issue?

I am already a contributor, so if you can post your solution here I can
create a patch and give you the credit.

How does that sound?

Jarmo

* Re: Babel: parse error when output contains opening bracket
@ 2020-06-27 10:29     ` ian martins
From: ian martins @ 2020-06-27 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 1:25 AM Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> wrote:

> ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:
>
> Hello.
>
> > I've written an alternative org-java.el that doesn't have that
> > problem. I wanted to add it to contrib/ but haven't been able to get
> > access. if you want to try it I can post it somewhere.
>
> Sounds excellent.
>
> Would it be possible for us to fix the current version without
> introducing a new one? Can you identify the parts of your code that fix
> the issue?

The existing code creates the java program and runs it correctly, but it
uses `org-babel-import-elisp-from-file' to interpret the results, and that
sees the bracket and tries to make the response into a list, and errors
when it can't. I don't see a quick fix for it. If you allow unbalanced
brackets but that would be a change in ob-core and would probably cause
unwanted results in other places. If you don't try to convert the output
into a list, you can't present java results as lists or tables.  Really the
problem is that ob-java doesn't support functional mode, so it tries to
guess if scripting mode output should be a table or list.  The version I
wrote supports functional and scripting modes and doesn't use
`org-babel-import-elisp-from-file'.

> I am already a contributor, so if you can post your solution here I can
> create a patch and give you the credit.

I would really appreciate that if you are willing, but it's a significant
change (code is 400 lines, 600 lines of tests and test data) and there
might be iterations so you might be signing up for more than you realize.

@ 2020-06-28  5:55       ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2020-06-28  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:
>>
>> Would it be possible for us to fix the current version without
>> introducing a new one? Can you identify the parts of your code that fix
>> the issue?
>>
> The existing code creates the java program and runs it correctly, but
> it uses `org-babel-import-elisp-from-file' to interpret the results,
> and that sees the bracket and tries to make the response into a list,
> and errors when it can't. I don't see a quick fix for it. If you allow
> unbalanced brackets but that would be a change in ob-core and would
> probably cause unwanted results in other places. If you don't try to
> convert the output into a list, you can't present java results as
> lists or tables.  Really the problem is that ob-java doesn't support
> functional mode, so it tries to guess if scripting mode output should
> be a table or list.  The version I wrote supports functional and
> scripting modes and doesn't use `org-babel-import-elisp-from-file'.

Ok.

>> I am already a contributor, so if you can post your solution here I
>> can create a patch and give you the credit.
>>
> I would really appreciate that if you are willing, but it's a
> significant change (code is 400 lines, 600 lines of tests and test
> data) and there might be iterations so you might be signing up for
> more than you realize.

Fair enough.

1. Have you considered writing a patch yourself?

2. If not, I think you lose nothing by posting your code here and
   patiently waiting if I can create something out of it.

All the best,

Jarmo

* Re: Babel: parse error when output contains opening bracket
@ 2020-06-28 12:49         ` ian martins
From: ian martins @ 2020-06-28 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

A little while back I submitted a patch to add org-babel integration for
haxe and mentioned that the same could be done for java to expand the
features of the java integration. There was no response which I took to
mean no interest in haxe or java, so I didn't think submitting a patch for
java would be fruitful. Then I thought I could just add them to the contrib
directory but was mistaken since that goes through the same ML patch
workflow.

Since you recommend it, I will try submitting a patch for java.

I still want to share the haxe integration. What is the best way to do that?

-Ian

@ 2020-06-30  4:13           ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2020-06-30  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:

> Since you recommend it, I will try submitting a patch for java.

Excellent.

> I still want to share the haxe integration. What is the best way to do
> that?

What does "haxe integration" mean here?

All the best,

Jarmo

* Re: Babel: parse error when output contains opening bracket
@ 2020-06-30 10:27             ` ian martins
From: ian martins @ 2020-06-30 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:13 AM Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> wrote:

> ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:
>
> > Since you recommend it, I will try submitting a patch for java.
>
> Excellent.

I posted the patch
<https://orgmode.org/list/CAC=rjb7AhmnRQ9Nc4Ao07qK3QZF4LVaTmU_R1fWqr+97NpnRJQ@mail.gmail.com/T/#u>
for java.  Let me know if you have feedback.

> > I still want to share the haxe integration. What is the best way to do
> > that?
>
> What does "haxe integration" mean here?

haxe <https://haxe.org/> is a language. By haxe integration I meant that I
wrote an ob-haxe.el to use haxe code blocks in org.

-Ian

* Re: Babel: parse error when output contains opening bracket
@ 2020-09-06  9:51 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-06  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jarmo,

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> writes:

> In the org file below, the first babel block will evaluate just fine,
> while the second will signal "End of file during parsing". The
> difference is the opening bracket "[" in output.

Fixed in maint, thanks.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Babel: parse error when output contains opening bracket
@ 2020-09-06  9:56   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-06  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian martins; +Cc: Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ian,

ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:

> I've written an alternative org-java.el that doesn't have that
> problem.

I hope you don't mind the fix I just integrated -- it's simple
enough for being in 9.3.8, the next stable release.  Obviously
your updates ob-java.el will probably make it obsolete once
we can move on after 9.4.

 Bastien

* Re: Babel: parse error when output contains opening bracket
@ 2020-09-08 21:53     ` ian martins
From: ian martins @ 2020-09-08 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Of course there's never a problem in fixing things. I'm curious how you did
it. Will look when I have a chance.

@ 2020-09-09  8:02       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-09  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ian,

ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:

> Of course there's never a problem in fixing things. I'm curious how
> you did it. Will look when I have a chance.

Here it is: https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/989f50a53

Sorry I forgot to mention the commit in the ack message.

PS: As I said, it was quite simple ;)

--
 Bastien