* bug#52399: 28.0.60; easier access to ORG-NEWS
       [not found] <17858.1639097986@alto>
@ 2021-12-10  1:43 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-12-10  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Kupfer; +Cc: 52399

Mike Kupfer writes:

> Finding ORG-NEWS seems harder than it should be.
>
> 1. The "Browse Org News" menu item (Org > Documentation > Browse Org
> News) isn't adequate, because it takes you to orgmode.org.  The package
> description (C-h P org RET) has the same problem.  If you're working
> offline, orgmode.org is not going to be available.  Also, it shows the
> news for the latest release, which might not be what you have installed.
> (The news for older releases is available at the bottom of the page, but
> it could be confusing if you don't notice that the news that is first
> presented is for a different release.)
>
> 2. I don't see a reference to ORG-NEWS in the Org mode section of the
> Info pages, much less an easy way to get to it.

These two look like something that would be dealt with on Org's side.
This report has been reassigned there, so perhaps someone on the Org
list will have thoughts or decide to work on a patch.

> 3. The entry in NEWS for the Org mode update mentions ORG-NEWS, but it
> doesn't say how to get to it.  (Yes, I know how to get to ORG-NEWS from
> NEWS.  Do we expect random users to understand the layout of an
> installed Emacs at that level of detail?)

And I guess this one is for Emacs's side at the time of the sync.

I was looking through the NEWS* files in the Emacs repo for guidance
from other packages, but I see mostly the same thing ("GNUS-NEWS",
"MH-E-NEWS", "ERC-NEWS", ...).  I guess there is one that's a little
different, though I'm not sure how helpful tacking on "./" is: "See the
file ./MH-E-NEWS for details".

Do you have any suggestions for what would be more helpful to put there?

* bug#52399: 28.0.60; easier access to ORG-NEWS
@ 2021-12-10  7:12   ` Kévin Le Gouguec
From: Kévin Le Gouguec @ 2021-12-10  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: 52399, Mike Kupfer

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

>> 3. The entry in NEWS for the Org mode update mentions ORG-NEWS, but it
>> doesn't say how to get to it.  (Yes, I know how to get to ORG-NEWS from
>> NEWS.  Do we expect random users to understand the layout of an
>> installed Emacs at that level of detail?)
>
> And I guess this one is for Emacs's side at the time of the sync.
>
> I was looking through the NEWS* files in the Emacs repo for guidance
> from other packages, but I see mostly the same thing ("GNUS-NEWS",
> "MH-E-NEWS", "ERC-NEWS", ...).  I guess there is one that's a little
> different, though I'm not sure how helpful tacking on "./" is: "See the
> file ./MH-E-NEWS for details".
>
> Do you have any suggestions for what would be more helpful to put there?

28.1 introduces etc-authors-mode; perhaps, in a similar vein, we could
add etc-news-mode, and add have the mode initialization function
buttonize these cross-references?

(Older emacsen would get confused by the "mode: etc-news" clause in
newer NEWS files, though…)