* how to investigate? org-element-cache Unregistered buffer modifications detected
@ 2022-06-28 22:21 Daniel Ortmann
From: Daniel Ortmann @ 2022-06-28 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hey there,
I have a 1.2+ MB org-mode file and have been getting the following
message for a week or two.  I have cleaned up content by archiving older
content and have run org-lint to cleanup some syntax issues ...

How to debug this type of issue?

Warning (org-element-cache): org-element--cache: Unregistered buffer
modifications detected. Resetting.
If this warning appears regularly, please report the warning text to Org
mode mailing list (M-x org-submit-bug-report).
The buffer is: plan.org
  Current command: (org-agenda 4070 5168)
  Chars modified: 4070
  Buffer modified: 5168
  Backtrace:
nil Disable showing Disable logging

Thank you for your guidance.

* Re: how to investigate? org-element-cache Unregistered buffer modifications detected
@ 2022-06-29  2:03 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-06-29  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Ortmann; +Cc: Org-mode

Daniel Ortmann <daniel.ortmann@oracle.com> writes:

> Hey there,
> I have a 1.2+ MB org-mode file and have been getting the following
> message for a week or two.  I have cleaned up content by archiving older
> content and have run org-lint to cleanup some syntax issues ...
>
> How to debug this type of issue?

Thanks for reporting!
Could you please update you Org to the latest version and check if the
warning keep appearing? I just pushed a commit that changes the logic
when to show this type of warning (the previous logic had
false-positives too often).

Best,
Ihor

* Re: [External] : Re: how to investigate? org-element-cache Unregistered buffer modifications detected
@ 2022-06-29  4:54   ` Daniel Ortmann
From: Daniel Ortmann @ 2022-06-29  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Org-mode

... I rebuild at least once per day.
My current org-mode version is:
Org mode version 9.5.4 (release_9.5.4-596-gaa5bc2 @
/home/dortmann/src/git-org-mode/lisp/)

A bit more information may help?

  * 1.2MB org-mode file
  * received a stubborn parse error after today's build; could not load
    my org file; the file location looked fine
  * partitioned the large file into smaller files
  * ... was able to load each of those smaller files
  * afterwards, without any changes, I was able to load the full file
    without the 'parse error'
  * ... but once again received that org-element-cache warning
  * Now, after a fresh pull of code and a rebuild, NONE of the errors or
    warnings occur.

Everything is clean now.

Could loading those smaller files have cleaned or updated the cache?  Or
was it your code updates?

Thank you!

@ 2022-06-29  5:56     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-06-29  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Ortmann; +Cc: Org-mode

Daniel Ortmann <daniel.ortmann@oracle.com> writes:

> ... I rebuild at least once per day.
> My current org-mode version is:
> Org mode version 9.5.4 (release_9.5.4-596-gaa5bc2 @
> /home/dortmann/src/git-org-mode/lisp/)
>
> A bit more information may help?
>
>   * 1.2MB org-mode file
>   * received a stubborn parse error after today's build; could not load
>     my org file; the file location looked fine
>   * partitioned the large file into smaller files
>   * ... was able to load each of those smaller files
>   * afterwards, without any changes, I was able to load the full file
>     without the 'parse error'

That was related to another bug that was introduced in
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=f77800c68b69f770886b9c103a101550ec530896
and then fixed in
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=d788fe99272d3563ff88e872bf337b8c198c7c7d

I now pushed another change that will prevent loading the broken
persisted cache.

>   * ... but once again received that org-element-cache warning
>   * Now, after a fresh pull of code and a rebuild, NONE of the errors or
>     warnings occur.

> Everything is clean now.
>
> Could loading those smaller files have cleaned or updated the cache?  Or
> was it your code updates?

Every time you get parser error, the cache should be cleared. So, you
likely did clear the cache somewhere in the process.

In any case,
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=eb796ae4326faf246b1b1a382a0a6a372f28c9e4
should fix most of the "unregistered buffer modifications" warnings.
It will only show up in really serious cases.

Best,
Ihor