Ihor Radchenko writes: > What about the approach we already use in > `org-attach-id-to-path-function-list' - check if an attachment directory > already exists, generated using any rule, and only if not, create a new? > > Similarly, in `org-attach-dir', we can first check local attachment > directory and return it if it exists. Then, we check attachment > directory for the symlink source, and return it when it exists. > If none exists, create attachment locally or relative to the symlink > source, according to some customization. The default will be creating > locally, to follow the existing behavior. See the attached tentative patch.