* [BUG] Export does not read .dir-locals.el [9.7.3 (release_9.7.3 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)]
@ 2024-06-14  4:53 Protesilaos Stavrou
From: Protesilaos Stavrou @ 2024-06-14  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear maintainer,

I have noticed that the export mechanism does not read the local
variables of a file when those come from a .dir-locals.el.

Steps to reproduce this:

1. Create a test directory.

2. Inside of that directory, write a .dir-locals.el file with something
   like the following:

     ;;; Directory Local Variables            -*- no-byte-compile: t -*-
     ;;; For more information see (info "(emacs) Directory Variables")

     ((nil . ((testing . "hello"))))

3. Now create a new Org file with a code block that includes the
   variable we introduced in the previous step. For example:

      Does this export?

      #+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports results
      testing
      #+end_src

4. If you do C-c C-c on the code block, it returns the local value as
   the variable is not void. But if you try to export, you an error that
   the variable is void.

Perhaps there is some user option to let the export mechanism read those
local variables?

All the best,
Protesilaos (or simply "Prot")

* * *

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2024-06-11
Package: Org mode version 9.7.3 (release_9.7.3 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com

* Re: [BUG] Export does not read .dir-locals.el [9.7.3 (release_9.7.3 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)]
@ 2024-06-14 14:27 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-06-14 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Protesilaos Stavrou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Protesilaos Stavrou <public@protesilaos.com> writes:

> I have noticed that the export mechanism does not read the local
> variables of a file when those come from a .dir-locals.el.

It is expected - export happens in a separate buffer that only inherits
Org mode settings, but nothing else.

Not a bug.
Canceled.

> Perhaps there is some user option to let the export mechanism read those
> local variables?

You can make use of #+bind functionality.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] Export does not read .dir-locals.el [9.7.3 (release_9.7.3 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)]
@ 2024-06-18  9:48   ` Protesilaos Stavrou
From: Protesilaos Stavrou @ 2024-06-18  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2024 14:27:12 +0000
>
> Protesilaos Stavrou <public@protesilaos.com> writes:
>
>> I have noticed that the export mechanism does not read the local
>> variables of a file when those come from a .dir-locals.el.
>
> It is expected - export happens in a separate buffer that only inherits
> Org mode settings, but nothing else.
>
> Not a bug.
> Canceled.

I think it runs counter to the idea of directory-local variables. Though
#+bind is fine.

>> Perhaps there is some user option to let the export mechanism read those
>> local variables?
>
> You can make use of #+bind functionality.

Thank you!

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com