* POLL: should we export text before the first headline
@ 2007-03-18  7:04 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-18  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

I would like to collect opinions on this issue:

Currently, exporting only starts at the first headline,
ignoring anything before it.  There have been request to change
this, I'd like to know if this would break someone's habits.

So do you use the space before the first headline to put notes/text
that should not be exported?

Thanks

- Carsten

* Re: POLL: should we export text before the first headline
@ 2007-03-18 11:35 ` Thomas Baumann
From: Thomas Baumann @ 2007-03-18 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to collect opinions on this issue:
>
> Currently, exporting only starts at the first headline,
> ignoring anything before it.  There have been request to change
> this, I'd like to know if this would break someone's habits.
>
> So do you use the space before the first headline to put notes/text
> that should not be exported?
>
> Thanks
>
> - Carsten

I do use the space before the 1st headline for internal links, notes
and alike which I definitely don't want to be exported.

Thanks
Thomas

* Re: POLL: should we export text before the first headline
@ 2007-03-18 11:43   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-03-18 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-03-18, Thomas Baumann said:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I would like to collect opinions on this issue:
>>
>> Currently, exporting only starts at the first headline,
>> ignoring anything before it.  There have been request to change
>> this, I'd like to know if this would break someone's habits.
>>
>> So do you use the space before the first headline to put notes/text
>> that should not be exported?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> I do use the space before the 1st headline for internal links, notes
> and alike which I definitely don't want to be exported.

I also don't want to export text before the first headline.

* Re: POLL: should we export text before the first headline
@ 2007-03-18 15:34 ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2007-03-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Oops, sorry, Carsten.  I pressed `R' instead of `F' in _gnus_.
Now, send it to the list.

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to collect opinions on this issue:
>
> Currently, exporting only starts at the first headline,
> ignoring anything before it.  There have been request to change
> this, I'd like to know if this would break someone's habits.
>
> So do you use the space before the first headline to put notes/text
> that should not be exported?

It is definitely very handy if you can put some links,
internal or external, before the first headline, so that you
can access some places much easier.  In that case, some
people may not want to export that few lines.  However, I
would vote for adding a new custom variable to control that
behavior.  It is all about choices.  Nevertheless, don't
export the line with `-*- mode: org -*-' or any in-buffer
options.

Xiao-Yong
--
    c/*    __o/*
    <\     * (__

* Re: POLL: should we export text before the first headline
@ 2007-03-18 15:54 ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2007-03-18 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

   So do you use the space before the first headline to put notes/text
   that should not be exported?

I start every org and outline file with

-*- org -*- or -*- outline -*-

(ispell-buffer)

and then keystrokes that I have a tough time remembering or am just
learning and want them at my fingertips.

* Re: POLL: should we export text before the first headline
@ 2007-03-18 20:07   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-18 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiao-Yong Jin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 18, 2007, at 16:34, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:
> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I would like to collect opinions on this issue:
>>
>> Currently, exporting only starts at the first headline,
>> ignoring anything before it.  There have been request to change
>> this, I'd like to know if this would break someone's habits.
>>
>> So do you use the space before the first headline to put notes/text
>> that should not be exported?
>
> It is definitely very handy if you can put some links,
> internal or external, before the first headline, so that you
> can access some places much easier.  In that case, some
> people may not want to export that few lines.  However, I
> would vote for adding a new custom variable to control that
> behavior.  It is all about choices.  Nevertheless, don't
> export the line with `-*- mode: org -*-' or any in-buffer
> options.

Well, even if we export the stuff before the first headline, there would
be ways to place stuff there that would not be exported, for example
by using a COMMENT section like

* COMMENT here is where I put my internal links etc

    Here is my stuff

By the way, the first line with the -*- mode: org -*- should always be
a comment - this is a bug I will fix.

Anyway, I also like my space before the first headline for internal
links
and other ramblings, so the default will remain to not exporting it.

There will come an options for those who need to get this part exported
as well.

Thanks to everyone for input.

@ 2007-03-19  0:09     ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2007-03-19  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

   By the way, the first line with the -*- mode: org -*- should always be
   a comment - this is a bug I will fix.

Can I ask a dumb question... is there a difference between the first
lines, -*- mode: org -*- and -*- org -*-?

* Re: Re: POLL: should we export text before the first headline
@ 2007-03-19  5:06       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-19  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 19, 2007, at 1:09, Sean Sieger wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>    By the way, the first line with the -*- mode: org -*- should always
> be
>    a comment - this is a bug I will fix.
>
> Can I ask a dumb question... is there a difference between the first
> lines, -*- mode: org -*- and -*- org -*-?

The effect is the same, setting the major mode of the file.
The first is a more general way, because also other local variables
can be set in this way, like

    -*- mode: org; fill-column:60 -*-

- Carsten