* agenda dispatcher - show different sets of deadlines - dispatch by string instead only by char
@ 2007-07-24 16:39 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-07-24 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am able to define a agenda custom command like this:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("d" agenda "X-Agenda 0 days deadline preview"
         ((org-deadline-warning-days 0)))

which means "get me the agenda without any deadlines"

I would also be able to get the agenda with maybe 3 days looking into the future for deadlines.
So I could:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("d" agenda "X-Agenda 0 days deadline preview"
         ((org-deadline-warning-days 0))
        ("e" agenda "X-Agenda 3 days deadline preview"
         ((org-deadline-warning-days 3)))

and so on.

I would like to be able to dispatch with a short string instead of only a character:
example:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("D0" agenda "X-Agenda 0 days deadline preview"
         ((org-deadline-warning-days 0))
        ("D3" agenda "X-Agenda 3 days deadline preview"
         ((org-deadline-warning-days 3))
        ("D7" agenda "X-Agenda 7 days deadline preview"
         ((org-deadline-warning-days 7))))

I recognise that at the moment only single characters are allowed for the dispatcher.
I am not (yet) able to modify org.el so that this will work.

Anybody with similar wishes? Anybody want to help me before Carsten comes back and tells what he thinks?
Thanks.

rainer

* Re: agenda dispatcher - show different sets of deadlines - dispatch by string instead only by char
@ 2007-07-26  8:29 ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-07-26  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Stengele schrieb:
> I am able to define a agenda custom command like this:
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("d" agenda "X-Agenda 0 days deadline preview"
>          ((org-deadline-warning-days 0)))
>
> which means "get me the agenda without any deadlines"
>

> I would also be able to get the agenda with maybe 3 days looking into the future for deadlines.
> So I could:
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("d" agenda "X-Agenda 0 days deadline preview"
>          ((org-deadline-warning-days 0))
>         ("e" agenda "X-Agenda 3 days deadline preview"
>          ((org-deadline-warning-days 3)))
>
> and so on.
>

> I would like to be able to dispatch with a short string instead of only a character:
> example:
>

> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("D0" agenda "X-Agenda 0 days deadline preview"
>          ((org-deadline-warning-days 0))
>         ("D3" agenda "X-Agenda 3 days deadline preview"
>          ((org-deadline-warning-days 3))
>         ("D7" agenda "X-Agenda 7 days deadline preview"
>          ((org-deadline-warning-days 7))))
>

> I recognise that at the moment only single characters are allowed for the dispatcher.
> I am not (yet) able to modify org.el so that this will work.
>
> Anybody with similar wishes? Anybody want to help me before Carsten comes back and tells what he thinks?
> Thanks.
>

> rainer

ok - having more than 1 character to dispatch the agenda is a bad idea because it also needs a
RETURN to finish the selection.
I now stick with this config:

        ("d" agenda "X-Agenda 0 days deadline preview"
         ((org-deadline-warning-days 0)))
        ("D" agenda "X-Agenda 1 days deadline preview"
         ((org-deadline-warning-days 1)))
        ("2" agenda "X-Agenda 2 days deadline preview"
         ((org-deadline-warning-days 2)))
        ("3" agenda "X-Agenda 3 days deadline preview"
         ((org-deadline-warning-days 3)))
        ("7" agenda "X-Agenda 7 days deadline preview"
         ((org-deadline-warning-days 7)))

"d" and "D" are needed because "0" and "1" are used already.

anybody else doing stuff like that any other way?

rainer

* Re: Re: agenda dispatcher - show different sets of deadlines - dispatch by string instead only by char
@ 2007-07-26  9:03   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-07-26  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:

> ok - having more than 1 character to dispatch the agenda is a bad idea
> because it also needs a RETURN to finish the selection.

Agreed.  It's better to stick to current (fast) interface.

> anybody else doing stuff like that any other way?

I use the agenda dispatcher a lot, but my `org-agenda-custom-commands'
is quite basic:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("N" todo "NEXT" nil)
	("I" todo "INPROGRESS" nil)
	("r" tags-todo "Read" nil)
	("w" tags-todo "Write" nil)
	("l" tags-todo "@LAB" nil)
	("h" tags-todo "@HOME" nil)))

I'm mainly using the "N" and "I" command. I'm sure i could make this
interface to better suit my needs, but can't find time for this.

If you feel like writing a little tutorial on how you use the Agenda
Dispatcher, please do!

--
Bastien