From: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>
To: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: syncing org-mode files on three unconnected machines?
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 10:54:49 -0500	[thread overview]

"Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you for the immediate and helpful responses.
>
> I have signed up for dropbox.  It looks useful.  I already have it working, and I can drop the entire ~/org tree into it.
>
> That being said, the most helpful would probably be the git approach.  It's going to take some work.

Hi Alan,

I've never done this myself but it should be possible to put a bare git
repository on the USB stick.  Then you push/pull changes to it when
moving from one machine to the next.

It would go something like this: (untested)

On the USB stick - initialize a bare repository

cd /path/to/usb
git clone --bare /path/to/your/repo

Now on each of the org repos:

Rename your repo (just to keep a backup until you're comfortable you
have it set up the way you like) and clone the one from the usb stick.

Copy the files from the renamed repo into the newly cloned repo and
check for difference.  This just makes sure you don't lose current work
in the other repos.

After that is set up you can git pull from the usb stick and git push
back to it with new commits.

HTH,
Bernt