* Restrict agenda view to multiple files matching a pattern?
@ 2009-03-23 18:56 Ross Patterson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ross Patterson @ 2009-03-23 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

So far at least, I have my tasks broken up into multiple *.org files
whose names reflect general categories.  Often I want to look at the
agenda view for files starting with "work" to look at all my work
tasks.

Is there a way I can do this or a better way I should be organizing my
tasks?  Putting all my tasks into one work file would just be way too
much as I am a freelancer and have a lot to keep track of.  Similarly I
don't really want to tag every work task just to support this.  Any
suggestions?

Ross

* Re: Restrict agenda view to multiple files matching a pattern?
@ 2009-03-23 19:08 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-23 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Patterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ross,

Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:

> So far at least, I have my tasks broken up into multiple *.org files
> whose names reflect general categories.  Often I want to look at the
> agenda view for files starting with "work" to look at all my work
> tasks.
>
> Is there a way I can do this or a better way I should be organizing my
> tasks?  Putting all my tasks into one work file would just be way too
> much as I am a freelancer and have a lot to keep track of.  Similarly I
> don't really want to tag every work task just to support this.  Any
> suggestions?

The following FAQs provide some tips on how to do this:

  - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#limit-agenda-with-tag-filtering

  - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#limit-agenda-with-category-match

Best,

Matt

From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-23 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Patterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

@ 2009-03-23 19:13 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-03-23 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Patterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:

> So far at least, I have my tasks broken up into multiple *.org files
> whose names reflect general categories.  Often I want to look at the
> agenda view for files starting with "work" to look at all my work
> tasks.
>
> Is there a way I can do this or a better way I should be organizing my
> tasks?  Putting all my tasks into one work file would just be way too
> much as I am a freelancer and have a lot to keep track of.  Similarly I
> don't really want to tag every work task just to support this.  Any
> suggestions?

Hi Ross,

For my setup I have multiple files that are work related.  Everything in
the file is work related (or not).  I put a #+FILETAGS: entry at the top
which tags all tasks for work - then I can limit the agenda to WORK
tasks easily.

,----[ norang.org ]
| #+FILETAGS: NORANG @Work
`----

I'm currently filtering stuff I'm supposed to do @Work with my @Work
tag.  There are other tags in the file (like NORANG above) that allows
me to limit it specifically to a single client etc.

Then I added a entry for @Work to org-tag-alist using 'W' so I can
filter by this tag easily.

Does that help?

-Bernt

* Re: Restrict agenda view to multiple files matching a pattern?
@ 2009-03-23 19:13   ` Ross Patterson
From: Ross Patterson @ 2009-03-23 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:
>
>> So far at least, I have my tasks broken up into multiple *.org files
>> whose names reflect general categories.  Often I want to look at the
>> agenda view for files starting with "work" to look at all my work
>> tasks.
>>
>> Is there a way I can do this or a better way I should be organizing my
>> tasks?  Putting all my tasks into one work file would just be way too
>> much as I am a freelancer and have a lot to keep track of.  Similarly I
>> don't really want to tag every work task just to support this.  Any
>> suggestions?
>
> The following FAQs provide some tips on how to do this:
>
>   - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#limit-agenda-with-tag-filtering
>
>   - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#limit-agenda-with-category-match

Sorry, should have been clearer, I want to look at my work*.org tasks in
the the *day/week agenda* view, not just the task listing.

Thanks,

@ 2009-03-23 19:19   ` Ross Patterson
From: Ross Patterson @ 2009-03-23 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:
>
>> So far at least, I have my tasks broken up into multiple *.org files
>> whose names reflect general categories.  Often I want to look at the
>> agenda view for files starting with "work" to look at all my work
>> tasks.
>>
>> Is there a way I can do this or a better way I should be organizing my
>> tasks?  Putting all my tasks into one work file would just be way too
>> much as I am a freelancer and have a lot to keep track of.  Similarly I
>> don't really want to tag every work task just to support this.  Any
>> suggestions?
>
> Hi Ross,
>
> For my setup I have multiple files that are work related.  Everything in
> the file is work related (or not).  I put a #+FILETAGS: entry at the top
> which tags all tasks for work - then I can limit the agenda to WORK
> tasks easily.
>
> ,----[ norang.org ]
> | #+FILETAGS: NORANG @Work
> `----
>
> I'm currently filtering stuff I'm supposed to do @Work with my @Work
> tag.  There are other tags in the file (like NORANG above) that allows
> me to limit it specifically to a single client etc.
>
> Then I added a entry for @Work to org-tag-alist using 'W' so I can
> filter by this tag easily.
>
> Does that help?

Excellent!  Yes it does?

Thanks!
Ross

* Re: Re: Restrict agenda view to multiple files matching a pattern?
@ 2009-03-23 19:27     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-23 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Patterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ross,

Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:

> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>
>> Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:
>>
>>> So far at least, I have my tasks broken up into multiple *.org files
>>> whose names reflect general categories.  Often I want to look at the
>>> agenda view for files starting with "work" to look at all my work
>>> tasks.
>>>
>>> Is there a way I can do this or a better way I should be organizing my
>>> tasks?  Putting all my tasks into one work file would just be way too
>>> much as I am a freelancer and have a lot to keep track of.  Similarly I
>>> don't really want to tag every work task just to support this.  Any
>>> suggestions?
>>
>> The following FAQs provide some tips on how to do this:
>>
>>   - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#limit-agenda-with-tag-filtering
>>
>>   - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#limit-agenda-with-category-match
>
> Sorry, should have been clearer, I want to look at my work*.org tasks in
> the the *day/week agenda* view, not just the task listing.

I'm a bit confused. One of the FAQs explains how to do precisely that
using #+FILETAGS and tag filtering (i.e., the same solution as Bernt's
email).

Please let me know if there's something missing in the FAQ that would
make the explanation clearer, and I'd be happy to fix it.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Restrict agenda view to multiple files matching a pattern?
@ 2009-03-23 19:47       ` Ross Patterson
From: Ross Patterson @ 2009-03-23 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Hi Ross,
>
> Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:
>
>> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

>>> The following FAQs provide some tips on how to do this:
>>>
>>>   - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#limit-agenda-with-tag-filtering
>>>
>>>   - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#limit-agenda-with-category-match>
>> Sorry, should have been clearer, I want to look at my work*.org tasks in
>> the the *day/week agenda* view, not just the task listing.
>
> I'm a bit confused. One of the FAQs explains how to do precisely that
> using #+FILETAGS and tag filtering (i.e., the same solution as Bernt's
> email).

The second link results in a headline list, not an "agenda day/week"
view.

@ 2009-03-24 14:12         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-24 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Patterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 23, 2009, at 8:47 PM, Ross Patterson wrote:

> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>
>> Hi Ross,
>>
>> Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:

>>> Sorry, should have been clearer, I want to look at my work*.org
>>> tasks in
>>> the the *day/week agenda* view, not just the task listing.
>>
>> I'm a bit confused. One of the FAQs explains how to do precisely that
>> using #+FILETAGS and tag filtering (i.e., the same solution as
>> Bernt's
>> email).
>
> The second link results in a headline list, not an "agenda day/week"
> view.

You can make a full agenda view and then press "/ TAB work RET" to
filter this view down to entries to have the tag or file tag :work:
defined.
THis is what Bernt and Matt have described.  So the filtering
happens *after* the full was created.

You seem to be saying that all the files you want to look at look like
workaaa.org workbbb.org?

Then you can use another trick of Matt which he describes in his
tutorial about agenda custom commands:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
       '(("W" "Work agenda" agenda ""
          ((org-agenda-files (file-expand-wildcards "~/org/
work*.org"))))
         ;; ...other commands here
          ))

This one works by temporarily only looking at these specific files,
selected
by file name.

There are more than one ways to do things here.

HTH

- Carsten