* Org Contacts, Gnus and Yasnippet Not Playing Nicely
@ 2011-05-23 17:32 Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2011-05-23 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am trying to set up Org Contacts and gnus. Org Contacts suggests that
pressing + <Tab> in the To: field in a message buffer should offer a
list of tags from my contacts file. However, I just get a Tab.

I suspect that Yasnippet is interfering, as entering the abbreviation
for any of my snippets and pressing Tab auto-completes the snippet. Does
anyone have a tip for making Yasnippets, gnus and org-contacts play
nicely together?

Ian.

* Re: Org Contacts, Gnus and Yasnippet Not Playing Nicely
@ 2011-05-23 17:57 ` Maurice
From: Maurice @ 2011-05-23 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> écrivit :

> I am trying to set up Org Contacts and gnus. Org Contacts suggests
> that pressing + <Tab> in the To: field in a message buffer should
> offer a list of tags from my contacts file. However, I just get a Tab.
>
> I suspect that Yasnippet is interfering, as entering the abbreviation
> for any of my snippets and pressing Tab auto-completes the
> snippet. Does anyone have a tip for making Yasnippets, gnus and
> org-contacts play nicely together?
>
> Ian.

Like for me with emacs23 but in emacs24 it works fine (with same
configuration) => ??

Maurice

* Re: Org Contacts, Gnus and Yasnippet Not Playing Nicely
@ 2011-05-24 10:21 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-05-24 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

Hi Ian,

> I am trying to set up Org Contacts and gnus. Org Contacts suggests
> that pressing + <Tab> in the To: field in a message buffer should
> offer a list of tags from my contacts file. However, I just get a Tab.
>
> I suspect that Yasnippet is interfering, as entering the abbreviation
> for any of my snippets and pressing Tab auto-completes the
> snippet. Does anyone have a tip for making Yasnippets, gnus and
> org-contacts play nicely together?

It works fine for me using emacs 24.  Maybe you've set
`org-contacts-completion-ignore-case' set to nil (which is not the
default), and you are trying to complete a lowercase starter while all
of your contacts have names starting uppercase?

If not, start writing a mail and go to the To: header.  Type the first
character of a contact that definitively exists.  You should get a
*Completion* buffer, or it should complete to the sole matching contact.
Additionally, doing `C-h k TAB' should tell you that TAB executes
`completion-at-point'.

(Even with emacs 24, before the first TAB it'll tell me that TAB calls
`yas/expand'...)

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Org Contacts, Gnus and Yasnippet Not Playing Nicely
@ 2011-05-24 13:33   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2011-05-24 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 24/05/11 11:21, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Ian Barton<lists@manor-farm.org>  writes:
>
> Hi Ian,
>
>> I am trying to set up Org Contacts and gnus. Org Contacts suggests
>> that pressing +<Tab>  in the To: field in a message buffer should
>> offer a list of tags from my contacts file. However, I just get a Tab.
>>
>> I suspect that Yasnippet is interfering, as entering the abbreviation
>> for any of my snippets and pressing Tab auto-completes the
>> snippet. Does anyone have a tip for making Yasnippets, gnus and
>> org-contacts play nicely together?
>
> It works fine for me using emacs 24.  Maybe you've set
> `org-contacts-completion-ignore-case' set to nil (which is not the
> default), and you are trying to complete a lowercase starter while all
> of your contacts have names starting uppercase?
>
> If not, start writing a mail and go to the To: header.  Type the first
> character of a contact that definitively exists.  You should get a
> *Completion* buffer, or it should complete to the sole matching contact.
> Additionally, doing `C-h k TAB' should tell you that TAB executes
> `completion-at-point'.
>
> (Even with emacs 24, before the first TAB it'll tell me that TAB calls
> `yas/expand'...)

Thanks Tassilo. I am using Emacs 23.2.1. `C-h k TAB' shows:

TAB (translated from <tab>) runs the command yas/expand, which is an
interactive Lisp function in `yasnippet.el'.

It is bound to TAB, <menu-bar> <YASnippet> <Expand trigger>.

(yas/expand)

Expand a snippet before point.

If no snippet expansion is possible, fall back to the behaviour
defined in `yas/fallback-behavior'

I have just downloaded and compiled Emacs 24, where it all works as
expected. So it seems specific to the version of Emacs with Ubuntu.  So
far Emacs 24 seems stabe on my system, so this is an acceptable workaround:)

@ 2011-05-24 15:50     ` Rémi Vanicat
From: Rémi Vanicat @ 2011-05-24 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

> On 24/05/11 11:21, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> Ian Barton<lists@manor-farm.org>  writes:
>>
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>>> I am trying to set up Org Contacts and gnus. Org Contacts suggests
>>> that pressing +<Tab>  in the To: field in a message buffer should
>>> offer a list of tags from my contacts file. However, I just get a Tab.

[...]

> Thanks Tassilo. I am using Emacs 23.2.1. `C-h k TAB' shows:
>
> TAB (translated from <tab>) runs the command yas/expand, which is an

[...]

For those (like me) that stay with old Emacs 23, this will fix it:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun set-yas/fallback-behavior ()
    (setq yas/fallback-behavior '(apply completion-at-point)))

  (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'set-yas/fallback-behavior)
#+end_src

--
Rémi Vanicat