From: Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
To: Anders Waldenborg <anders@0x63.nu>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: PATCH Make org-open-at-point only ask once
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 09:14:13 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

Anders Waldenborg <anders@0x63.nu> writes:

> If an org buffer is narrowed, and one tries to do org-open-at-point on
> a link that points to outside of the restriction it asks: "No match -
> create this as a new heading?". When answering no the buffer is
> widened and the reseach is done, and if the link still can't be
> resolved the question is asked again.
>
> For nonexistant links this happens even if the buffer isn't narrowed -
> one needs to answer "n" twice.
>
> I also attached an alternate patch which (IMHO) simplifies the
> implementation by hiding the hard work in a macro, and as a bonus it
> only calls org-link-search once. But it is much more intrusive.

Yes, imposing widening to the user is intrusive. Moreover, I think you
cannot avoid to call org-link-search twice (once it has failed): the
point is to do a local search and then a global one.

Though, the macro idea is interesting, as I can see at least one other
place where it might be useful. So, what about changing the macro to:

1. If current buffer is narrowed, execute body with the current
   restriction. If it fails (silently), re-execute body with a widened
   buffer. Restore default narrowing.

2. If the buffer has no narrowing in effect, just execute body.

Also:

1. Doc-strings must refer to the arguments.

2. Don't forget to add: (def-edebug-spec macro-name (arguments)) just
   after it.

3. You need to add a proper ChangeLog message in your commit.

Thank you for looking at this.

Nicolas Goaziou