* save-excursion not saving when I call org-capture-goto-last-stored
@ 2012-02-05  3:01 Jon Miller
From: Jon Miller @ 2012-02-05  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

I'm currently trying to write a function to do some post-capture
updates to an entry. My intention is to add it to
org-capture-after-finalize-hook. First step is navigating to the
captured item but I'd like to return to the current buffer I was in
before. I'm still a novice with elisp, so I could use a pointer here.

Here is a simplified example:
M-: (save-excursion (org-capture-goto-last-stored))

Is there a better way to navigate to the last capture and then return
to my current buffer?

Thanks,
Jon Miller

;; My current full version:
(defun jsm/org-project-properties ()
  "Takes the current heading title, denoting the project, and
sets the :EXPORT_TITLE: and :CATEGORY: properties to the same."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (org-capture-goto-last-stored) ; Aka C-u C-u org-capture
    (let ((project-title (org-get-heading t t)))
      (org-set-property "EXPORT_TITLE" project-title)
      (org-set-property "CATEGORY" project-title))))

* Re: save-excursion not saving when I call org-capture-goto-last-stored
@ 2012-02-09  6:28 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2012-02-09  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Miller; +Cc: orgmode

At Sat, 4 Feb 2012 22:01:32 -0500,
Jon Miller wrote:

> I'm currently trying to write a function to do some post-capture
> updates to an entry. My intention is to add it to
> org-capture-after-finalize-hook. First step is navigating to the
> captured item but I'd like to return to the current buffer I was in
> before. I'm still a novice with elisp, so I could use a pointer here.
>
> Here is a simplified example:
> M-: (save-excursion (org-capture-goto-last-stored))
>
> Is there a better way to navigate to the last capture and then return
> to my current buffer?

Well, save-excursion does restore the current buffer but is not
switching to it. Executing

,----
| (progn
|   (save-excursion
|     (org-capture-goto-last-stored))
|   (princ (current-buffer)))
`----

in *scratch* tells me that the current-buffer after the excursion is
*scratch*. What you are looking for is saving and restoring the
windows configuration (visible buffers in a frame).

C-h f save-window-excursion RET

This should do the trick:

,----
| (progn
|   (save-excursion
|     (save-window-excursion
|       (org-capture-goto-last-stored))))
`----

Best,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: save-excursion not saving when I call org-capture-goto-last-stored
@ 2012-02-09 17:02   ` Jon Miller
From: Jon Miller @ 2012-02-09 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: orgmode

Awesome, thanks. That worked for me.
  Now to add my conditional logic for which parent headings I want
this behavior to apply to and I'm done.

Thanks again,
Jon Miller