Rick Frankel writes: > On 25.04.2013 17:20, Eric Abrahamsen wrote: >> Who knew this would turn out to be such a fraught issue! All I wanted >> was that little green checkmark from the W3C... >> >> Here's what I think should be an acceptable final patch. I dropped >> the >> CDATA mess, and came up with a slightly different implementation for >> handling self-closing tags. It's maybe a little /bulkier/ than the >> previous implementation, but not so hacky, and may continue to be >> useful >> in the future. There's also a documentation patch. > > Overall, looks good, but again, i would _strongly_ argue that html5 > should generate valid xhtml. > If it doesn't, it will really break my post-processing workflow... > > Therefore, `org-html-close-tag' should check that the doctype is not a > flavor of html4 rather than a flavor of xhtml. An alternative would be > to add ("xhtml5" . "") to the doctype alist, and the > appropriate testing for being html5 and xhtml. > > See the discussions of polyglot markup @ > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyglot_markup > and > http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html-polyglot-20110405/#dfn-polyglot-markup > for the rationale. Ah, those were interesting links, I hadn't considered those issues. Luckily, your second option was a three-line change to the existing patch: using "xhtml5" now produces the same output as "html5", except that self-closing tags are self-closed, and there's a xmlns declaration in the element. Best of all worlds, I hope. E