* Using allowframebreaks in org-beamer
@ 2013-11-11 21:34 Stephen J. Barr
From: Stephen J. Barr @ 2013-11-11 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings,

I am trying to get allowframebreaks to work in an org-mode
presentation. I have the following header + slide.

In the slide that is produced, it seems to drop off the slide after the
8th item, and there is no slide with anything about 9. Is there anything
else that I need to add?

Thanks,
-Stephen

#+REVEAL_TRANS: linear
#+REVEAL_THEME: night
#+REVEAL_HLEVEL: 2
#+ATTR_REVEAL: :frag highlight-red
#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 1
#+BEAMER_THEME: Madrid
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [mathserif]

* (8) Optimization of the Average Cost Function - Summary
  :PROPERTIES:
  :BEAMER_env: frame
  :BEAMER_envargs: [allowframebreaks]
  :END:

   *Equations 18-25*
2. For fixed \(R_{1}\) and \(R_{2}\), we need partials of \(AC\) wrt \(Q_{1}, Q_{2} = 0\).
3. Derive conditions for an optimal \(Q_{2}\).
4. There is no proof, but through experience there is a unique \(Q_{2}\) which satisfies opt. \(Q_{2}\) conditions (Eq. (22)).
5. In some cases, Eq. (22) was positive, so sometimes \(Q_{2} = 0\).
6. Computational experiments for finding \(Q_{2}\) from (22) in Table 1
7. *Given optimal \(Q_{2}\), can find optimal \(Q_{1}\) from  Eq. (21a)*
   1. Note that it has not been proved that \(AC(Q_{1},Q_{2} | R_{1},R_{2}\) is convex in \(Q_{1},Q_{2}\), but by computational experience is convex
8. Use heuristics to search for \(R_{2}\)
   1. \(Q_{2}^{*}\) decreasing in \(R_{2}\)
   2. Let \(R_{2}'\) be the smallest value of \(R_{2}\) which results in \(Q_{2}* = 0\).
   3. Then, any value of \(R_{2} > R_{2}'\) is not optimal.
   4. Eq. (25) can calculate an upper bound of \(R_{2}\), called \(R_{2}'\).
   5. Search for \(R_{2} \in [0, R_{2}']\)
9. From experience, \(R_{1}^{*}\) is always below the optimal \(R\) in the standard problem with no emergency ordering.
   1. This creates an upper bound for \(R_{1}\).
   2. Search \(R_{1} \in [0,R]\).

* Re: Using allowframebreaks in org-beamer
@ 2013-11-12  2:13 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-11-12  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stephen,

"Stephen J. Barr" <stevejb@uw.edu> writes:

> I am trying to get allowframebreaks to work in an org-mode
> presentation. I have the following header + slide.
>
> In the slide that is produced, it seems to drop off the slide after the
> 8th item, and there is no slide with anything about 9. Is there anything
> else that I need to add?

Solution:

0. Put less stuff on your slides!  Seriously.

1. If 0 doesn't suit you look for the previous thread on this issue
   started by Eric Fragga.  There's a real simple solution where you
   unset the framelabel (label=).  I also posted a filter that should
   take care of it automatically it that's better in your setup.

Eric has reported the bug upstream here:

     https://bitbucket.org/rivanvx/beamer/issue/265/including-frame-label-option-stops

Hope it helps.

–Rasmus

--
. . . The proofs are technical in nature and provides no real understanding.

* Re: Using allowframebreaks in org-beamer
@ 2013-11-12  3:22   ` Stephen J. Barr
From: Stephen J. Barr @ 2013-11-12  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I agree with the "less stuff" part. The first pass in my slides is for
content, second pass is for formatting :-). For now, I did manual division
of the sides. I am using both org-beamer and org-reveal (
https://github.com/yjwen/org-reveal) and ideally they would have optimized
(and possibly different) slide breaks. E.g. perhaps beamer breaks 9
elements into 3 3-elements slides whereas reveal breaks into 2 slides, one
with 5 elements and one of 4 elements.

I'll look around for the previous post but in the mean time I think I will
stick with method 0.

Thanks,
Stephen

Best,
Stephen

@ 2013-11-12 10:39     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-11-12 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Barr; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rasmus

"Stephen J. Barr" <stevejb@uw.edu> writes:

> I agree with the "less stuff" part. The first pass in my slides is for
> content, second pass is for formatting :-). For now, I did manual division
> of the sides. I am using both org-beamer and org-reveal (
> https://github.com/yjwen/org-reveal) and ideally they would have optimized
> (and possibly different) slide breaks. E.g. perhaps beamer breaks 9
> elements into 3 3-elements slides whereas reveal breaks into 2 slides, one
> with 5 elements and one of 4 elements.
>
> I'll look around for the previous post but in the mean time I think I will
> stick with method 0.

To summarise the previous post (i.e. from the thread I started for this
bug), all you have to do is simply include the following on any slide
for which you want frame breaks:

* A long "frame" with breaks
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_opt: allowframebreaks,label=
:END:

Method 0 is, in principle, desirable, but I actually find that beamer
does a really nice job on automatic frame breaks in most cases and it
makes writing some types of presentations much easier!  An example, from
my own usage, is the solution to some example problem when teaching.  I
can simply write down all the steps, e.g. as an enumerated list, and let
beamer worry about the breaks.  Using automatic frame breaks, for me, is
just the obvious extension of org (or LaTeX): let me worry about the
content and let the system worry about the formatting!

From LyX: "what you see is what you mean" :-)

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.2.2-180-g71152d

* Re: Using allowframebreaks in org-beamer
@ 2013-11-12 23:35       ` Stephen Jeffrey Barr
From: Stephen Jeffrey Barr @ 2013-11-12 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rasmus

Thank you for the clarification Eric. That did exactly what I wanted it to!

Best,
Stephen