Nick Dokos writes: > The best solution I can think of so far: revert commit 5ea0228, > and change org-mode-restart to call normal-mode, instead of org-mode. > normal-mode splits the setting of the mode from the setting of local > variables, so it would avoid the recursion. > > I think (but I have not verified yet) that this would fix both the > problem that gave rise to commit 5ea0228 in the first place and this > bottomless recursion, without causing any other problems. I'll try it > out tomorrow if I find the time and submit a patch. Patch attached. It passed the two tests, but I have not done anything more. Can both interested parties (York Zhao and Tom Dye) please test it and let me know of any problems?