* encrypted items, but not timestamp
@ 2014-02-20  8:13 David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2014-02-20  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I have followed this:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/encrypting-files.html

to encrypt subtree of my journal. So e.g. something like this:

**** testing subree encryption                                     :crypt:
this text should be encrypted when saved on the disk using my private
key. will see if this works
Entered on <2014-02-20 Thu 09:05>

it works, however it encrypts entire subtree including 'entered on
<timestamp>'. This puts a little issue on this, as when in journal,
these timestamps are used in agenda buffer to display the heading. And I
want this heading to be displayed in my agenda, including all the tags
it exhibits.

Is there any way how to achieve this? For the moment the only thing
coming into my mind is to make a timestamp part of heading, which is not
what I really want.

Thanks

.d.

* Re: encrypted items, but not timestamp
@ 2014-03-03 12:28 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-03 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David,

David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch> writes:

> I have followed this:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/encrypting-files.html
>
> to encrypt subtree of my journal. So e.g. something like this:
>
> **** testing subree encryption                                     :crypt:
> this text should be encrypted when saved on the disk using my private
> key. will see if this works
> Entered on <2014-02-20 Thu 09:05>
>

> it works, however it encrypts entire subtree including 'entered on
> <timestamp>'. This puts a little issue on this, as when in journal,
> these timestamps are used in agenda buffer to display the heading. And I
> want this heading to be displayed in my agenda, including all the tags
> it exhibits.
>
> Is there any way how to achieve this?

Nope, sorry.

> For the moment the only thing
> coming into my mind is to make a timestamp part of heading, which is not
> what I really want.

That's also the only workaround I can think of right now.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: encrypted items, but not timestamp
@ 2014-03-03 12:34   ` Jonathan Leech-Pepin
From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin @ 2014-03-03 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 March 2014 07:28, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch> writes:
>
> > I have followed this:
> >
> > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/encrypting-files.html
> >
> > to encrypt subtree of my journal. So e.g. something like this:
> >
> > **** testing subree encryption
> :crypt:
> > this text should be encrypted when saved on the disk using my private
> > key. will see if this works
> > Entered on <2014-02-20 Thu 09:05>
> >

> > it works, however it encrypts entire subtree including 'entered on
> > <timestamp>'. This puts a little issue on this, as when in journal,
> > these timestamps are used in agenda buffer to display the heading. And I
> > want this heading to be displayed in my agenda, including all the tags
> > it exhibits.
> >
> > Is there any way how to achieve this?
>
> Nope, sorry.

I can think of one possible method (although slightly more work to do so):

(written longhand so tags won't be properly aligned, sorry)

**** Testing subtree encryption     <add tags here>
Entered on <2014-02-20 Thu 09:05>
***** Encrypted entry       :crypt:
this text should be encrypted when saved on the disk using my private
key. will see if this works

This will result in the encrypted subtree being encrypted, the headline
with it's timestamp being visible.

Regards,
Jon

@ 2014-03-03 12:36     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-03 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonathan Leech-Pepin <jonathan.leechpepin@gmail.com> writes:

> I can think of one possible method (although slightly more work to do
> so):

Indeed, good idea!

--
 Bastien

* Re: encrypted items, but not timestamp
@ 2014-03-03 12:48       ` David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2014-03-03 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nice.

So far I have made a capture template, which enters the timestamp into
heading. Surprisingly it works pretty nicely as the timestamp does not
appear in agenda heading 'name'. Have something like this:

(require 'org-crypt)
(org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)
(setq org-crypt-tag-matcher "@CRYPT")
(setq org-crypt-key "david@bleh")

and then org-capture-templates contains following record:

("C" "Encrypted journal" entry (file+datetree (concat my-org-files "journal.org"))
"* %? %T :@CRYPT:\n  %a\n")

works as a charm.
.d.