Hi, In a recent thread¹ Tom and Alan mention that authors sometimes need unnumbered headlines, e.g. for prefaces. This patch (tries to) add this feature via the tag :nonumber: (customizable via Custom or in-file). I make two assumptions. First, the tag is recursive, so if the parent is not numbered the child is not numbered. Secondly, I depart from the LaTeX tradition of ignoring unnumbered headlines in the TOC (except in the case of ox-latex.el where it depends on org-latex-classes). (See example below). Needless to say such a feature needs to be discussed and I not sure whether the greater Org community finds it useful or needless clutter. In my opinion a :nonumber: tag is a natural continuation of :export: and :noexport: and unlike :ignoreheading: the implementation is fairly clean (or maybe I'm cheating myself here). A reason for why to include it is that it seems relatively easy to do *during* export, but it's hard to consistently get it right on in both headlines and the TOC via filters. The patch is messing with ox.el, and thus I would appreciate a review and potentially testing, in the case that it is agreed that such a feature would be OK to add to ox. It seems to work well with ox-latex.el, ox-ascii.el and ox-html.el. It doesn't play well with ox-odt.el (headlines are still numbered). I will fix this as well as adding documentation if a consensus of the worthwhileness of the patch can be reached. Finally, here's an example output using ox-ascii #+begin_src org * a (not numbered) :nonum: ** aa (not numbert) * b (1) ** ba (not numbered) :nonum: *** baa (not numbered) ** bb (1.1) #+end_src #+RESULTS: (TOC only, but the rest is as expected) a (not numbered) .. aa (not numbert) 1 b (1) .. ba (not numbered) ..... baa (not numbered) .. 1.1 bb (1.1) Thanks, Rasmus Footnotes: ¹ http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/89515 -- Vote for proprietary math!