From: Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Cooperating with oneself using the cloud?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 16:11:14 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

"Tim O'Callaghan" <timo@linux.com> writes:

> I have no instructions per-se. I did consider git, using git-annexe or
> similar tool, but the pre-internet encryption i require does not
> easily happen out of the box. If you are only syncing between your own
> git servers though and do not care so much file level encryption
> git-annexe a remarkable tool. I still cannot get my head around how it
> works (symlinks galore!) but it seems ideal for personal sync (but not
> to github). This is the nearest thing i've seen to dropbox.
> https://git-annex.branchable.com/

At this point I would not recommend git-annex to my worst enemy, even
though I use it.  Annex is not at all transparent (to me), and I
struggle a lot when it doesn't just worksᵀᴹ [which is somehow rarely
the case for me].

That being said, it does do client-side encryption.  It will even
setup a key for you in the webapp.  Only requirement is that you have
git-annex on your central server, but I think an installation by an
unprivileged user is fine.  You have to transfer the key to your other
systems yourself.

Also, you can get rid of the symlinks with direct mode.  I sometimes
go into indirect mode to do $GIT_STUFF manually.

—Rasmus

--
May contains speling mistake