* How to enhance the agenda output if soome info is only in the parent entry?
@ 2014-12-07 21:22 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-12-07 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

here's my problem.  Assume that I have something like this in one of my
agenda files:

* Some person
** Some action to be done
(concerning some_person)
<timestamp>

* Some other person
** Some action to be done
(concerning some_other_person)
<timestamp>

Now, my (pretty much default) agenda shows only the "Some action to be
done", which is kind of misleading in this case.

What do I do about this?  I accept the possibility that my workflow
(i.e., structure of Org entries) is broken - then, how to fix it?

I realize that tags is a way to do it.  But then, it violates the DRY
principle.  Also, I have org-agenda-tags-column set to -90, though I
guess I should change this, and I'll probably do it - the main reason
for that setting was (setq org-habit-preceding-days 30), and I really
don't use habits anyway.

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: How to enhance the agenda output if soome info is only in the parent entry?
@ 2014-12-07 21:37 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2014-12-07 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
[...]
> * Some person
> ** Some action to be done
> (concerning some_person)
> <timestamp>
>
> * Some other person
> ** Some action to be done
> (concerning some_other_person)
> <timestamp>
>
> Now, my (pretty much default) agenda shows only the "Some action to be
> done", which is kind of misleading in this case.
>
> What do I do about this?  I accept the possibility that my workflow
> (i.e., structure of Org entries) is broken - then, how to fix it?

What about assigning categories?

    * Some person
      :PROPERTIES:
      :CATEGORY: some person
      :END:
    ** Some action to be done
       DEADLINE: <2014-12-08 Mon>

    * Some other person
      :PROPERTIES:
      :CATEGORY: some other person
      :END:
    ** Some action to be done
       DEADLINE: <2014-12-08 Mon>

--
Kyle

* Re: How to enhance the agenda output if soome info is only in the parent entry?
@ 2014-12-07 22:09   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-12-07 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-12-07, at 22:37, Kyle Meyer wrote:

> What about assigning categories?

Thanks a lot!  I found it in the manual right after sending my email:-(.

It still violates DRY, but I guess it's the best I can come up with; I
think I'll use it (even though I don't really like it - I prefer my
categories to be /very/ broad, corresponding to /files/ - think
"research", "personal", "teaching" etc.  It's just a habit of mine,
though, and I allow myself to change these from time to time;-).

Best,

--

@ 2014-12-07 22:45     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2014-12-07 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> On 2014-12-07, at 22:37, Kyle Meyer wrote:
>
>> What about assigning categories?
>
> Thanks a lot!  I found it in the manual right after sending my email:-(.
>
> It still violates DRY, but I guess it's the best I can come up with; I
> think I'll use it

True.  For a handful of cases, this seems like an ok approach to
distinguish tasks from different subtrees, but it would get tedious if
that pattern occurs frequently across your agenda.

> (even though I don't really like it - I prefer my
> categories to be /very/ broad, corresponding to /files/ - think
> "research", "personal", "teaching" etc.  It's just a habit of mine,
> though, and I allow myself to change these from time to time;-).

Yes, I prefer broad categories too, so that makes sense to me.

--
Kyle

* Re: How to enhance the agenda output if soome info is only in the parent entry?
@ 2014-12-08  3:39     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-12-08  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> On 2014-12-07, at 22:37, Kyle Meyer wrote:
>
>> What about assigning categories?
>
> Thanks a lot!  I found it in the manual right after sending my email:-(.
>
> It still violates DRY, but I guess it's the best I can come up with; I
> think I'll use it (even though I don't really like it - I prefer my
> categories to be /very/ broad, corresponding to /files/ - think
> "research", "personal", "teaching" etc.  It's just a habit of mine,
> though, and I allow myself to change these from time to time;-).
>
> Best,

If you set `org-agenda-show-outline-path' to t, it will show you the
full path to the TODO in the message line as you move the cursor around.
You still have to move on to it to see the path, but usually for me
that's good enough.

* Re: How to enhance the agenda output if soome info is only in the parent entry?
@ 2014-12-08  9:05       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-12-08  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-12-08, at 04:39, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> If you set `org-agenda-show-outline-path' to t, it will show you the
> full path to the TODO in the message line as you move the cursor around.
> You still have to move on to it to see the path, but usually for me
> that's good enough.

Interesting!  I checked it out - works nicely, thanks!  As usual, Org
has me covered...  BTW, `t' is the default setting for that anyway.