From: Neven <neven@orgzly.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [ANN] [OT] New Android app (Orgzly)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 21:00:07 +0100	[thread overview]

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>> *NOTE* It's about an app which is *not* open source (some parts of code
>> will opened, see below).  If you have a problem with that, you can stop
>> reading right about now...

Sorry if this sounded a bit arrogant and if the whole email sounded as
an ad.  It wasn't my intention, as the app if free (although only as a
beer currently).

I use org-mode for everything and this app was created from my need to
do some work on the phone.  Setting up MobileOrg and apps at the time
didn't work for me.

Maybe I should have gone the route of contributing to the existing
implementation, but the second reason for this app was learning Android
-- it literally grew from my first Hello World app.

> I must admit that I feel uncomfortable because you use the name org-mode
> to promote a product that does not respect the "4 freedoms" as put forth
> by the FSF.  E.g. if you make mistakes, it may reflect poorly on us, and
> we won't even be able to fix it or distribute a version that is not broken
> if we so desired.  That's just /my/ personal opinion, though.

OK, that makes sense.

I was planning to add support for multiple file formats in the future --
maybe todo.txt, taskwarrior's JSON etc.

But for start, I will remove any references to org-mode as such.  (it's
gone from the website now).  I'll refer only to .org files where needed.
That is -- org as a file format, not emacs's mode.

I hope that would be an improvement, if someone doesn't think so, please
let me know.  The parser will be open sourced which I hope will help
too.

Anyway, I'm still deciding what to do with the app.  I might just go
ahead and open source it in the end.  I'd much rather see people finding
it useful, then trying to make money from it.

Neven